Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to get accepted into Hunter college
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 4:06 pm
My husband is considering going to Hunter college of social work to get his masters degree. can anyone tell me what are his chances in getting accepted? whould they accept a any bachelors (from TTI - Razel Reit) or even a BTL. what other factors do they look at on the application. the price is just abt $20,000 instead of $60,000 for LIU (bulka) so theres a huge diff.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 4:10 pm
It's a top school, and on-par (if not better) than NYU or Columbia. He needs good GRE scores (I'm not sure if it is a subject-specific one or the general). Of course, they will take an appropriate undergraduate degree. I know plenty of Ivy Leaguers who were turned away from Hunter's program but plenty of students from second-, third-, or even fourth-tier schools and were accepted.

He needs strong letters of rec & an essay demonstrating his relevant background and why this is the career for him.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
It's a top school, and on-par (if not better) than NYU or Columbia. He needs good GRE scores (I'm not sure if it is a subject-specific one or the general). Of course, they will take an appropriate undergraduate degree. I know plenty of Ivy Leaguers who were turned away from Hunter's program but plenty of students from second-, third-, or even fourth-tier schools and were accepted.

He needs strong letters of rec & an essay demonstrating his relevant background and why this is the career for him.
what are GRE scores? And how does one get good letters of rec? Can just anybody write it for me?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 5:19 pm
Your original post said your husband, and your latest post says you. Who is planning on going?

Let me be perfectly frank here: If you don't know what a GRE is or about letters of recommendation, then I don't think you have done appropriate research for graduate school beyond looking at price stickers. I suggest you research not just the tuition costs, but the quality of the education and overall graduate requirements.

While I understand your question about the GRE (visit the ETS.org website for information on the exam, if the school even requires it), the letter part should be somewhat logical: A professor who values you (or your husband's?) academic achievements and can assess one's ability to successfully handle the rigors of graduate school, someone who you (or your husband?) have worked with in a clinical setting, maybe someone from the religious community who has witnessed your ability to solve conflicts, etc.

I'm posting anonymously to protect my anonymity as it relates to my career (I've mentioned my career under my sn in other threads), but I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have (after you've done your research).

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:06 pm
Amother: first of all sorry for the typo. I was reffering to my husband (I"m stayin home!). secondly I appreciate the time you took to respond to me. while my dh did make general research in what programs are considered top for social work school and some other factors, he hasn't spoken to anyone that was actually accepted into Hunter. so if anyone knows any more details please post it. Thanks again

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:14 pm
I hate to be the one administering "tough love" here but I really think OP needs to do a lot more homework. "What's a GRE"?!!! Nope, probably not ready for a real-world grad school. Do some heavy googling about admissions requirements and procedures at various colleges (and about the GRE!) and come back with some more targeted questions.

But to more specifically answer your question, I got into Hunter simply by following their admission procedures precisely. I also had very high undergraduate grades and good scores on professional exams (the field I went into has its own exams and therefore they looked at that and not GRE). A strong personal statement essay is also key to getting in anywhere because it's practically the only thing that will really make your application any different than anyone else's. You can google that too.

I did not go to a top-rate undergraduate college for my BS but it was a real, accredited school with a reputation (albeit not the world's strongest reputation). To be perfectly frank I really don't know if they will accept TTI graduates. Best bet is if they've never heard of it because if they get wind of the fact that it's done mainly through testing out of every subject I don't think there's any way they'd respect that. In real-world academia people believe very strongly in the value of studying long and hard. Like I said, I went to a real school and they were still skeptical of me because it wasn't a top school - they took me anyway because an almost-perfect average from an ok school is still really good (as compared to, say, a lower average from a better school) PLUS I had the good recommendations, personal statement, etc.

Oh, and I'm not sending you to do more research just because I don't have the heart or the time to give it all to you on a silver platter. You have to be able to do that kind of thing, take some initiative, develop some smarts, or you'll never make it in an admissions interview. The only way you can sound intelligent, informed, prepared, and committed is if you actually are.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:39 pm
amother, so you didn't go for social work? maybe the reason my dh hasn't heard abt GRE's is probably because they aren't required for social work dgrees, no? in any case I will do more research. Thanks

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:44 pm
OP, I'm the amother who went to Hunter but not for Social Work.
It took me less than THIRTY SECONDS to find this information online:
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/soc......html

And you're in luck, it happens to be GRE is not required for the school of social work. But it's something that pretty much everyone has heard of anyway.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:46 pm
I'm the first amother to have posted in response.

I wanted to add that while the above school might not need the GRE, others might. Further, it's not that a GRE is required for a social work degree; it's that a GRE may be required as part of the admission to the school (think of the SAT and college, for example).

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:47 pm
This link should help you.
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/soc......html
And you're right, GREs are not necessary for this program.

(Although I do agree with amother, that someone who is serious about graduate school should be able to do this research on his/her own.)

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:49 pm
Ok, I see amother posted the link right before me.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 7:59 pm
in generalOP here, ok so now that we finished fighting around (sorry for the harsh langauge) about the GRE's (and turn out I I was right! but who care's anyway) let me direct my question on another point: according to reviews on epinion.com and other websites, I get the picture that Hunter recieve's thousands of applications (obviously because of their high education and low tuition) and therefor getting accepted is very hard. so how can one stand out in order to have a better chance of getting accepted? And how is their customer service in general, for instance would they excuse my dh for missing a class on yomtov?

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
in generalOP here, ok so now that we finished fighting around (sorry for the harsh langauge) about the GRE's (and turn out I I was right! but who care's anyway) let me direct my question on another point: according to reviews on epinion.com and other websites, I get the picture that Hunter recieve's thousands of applications (obviously because of their high education and low tuition) and therefor getting accepted is very hard. so how can one stand out in order to have a better chance of getting accepted?

~ Great transcript from undergrad
~ Statement of purpose well written and says something about you that makes you different in a good way
~ Relevant life/volunteer/professional experience
~ Glowing references
~ Intelligent and respectful interview presentation
~ Prayers and siyata dishmaya

Quote:
And how is their customer service in general, for instance would they excuse my dh for missing a class on yomtov?

They can't penalize him for religious observance but if the policy is that you're only allowed, say, 2 absences they might ask you to count yomtov as one. All CUNY schools generally give off Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, and Pesach (though if it all comes out on weekdays, a day or two of Pesach might not be covered and might count as an absence).

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 8:25 pm
CUNY will never give you a problem with Yom Tovim. Some professors may ask for documentation and attempt to hassle (you are, however, still responsible for all work and on the same time schedule as all other students), but an e-mail to Chancellor Goldstein should probably resolve any issues of observance and attendance.... Wink

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 8:46 pm
Thank you all amothers for being so kind and helpfull.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 9:44 pm
Just a few thoughts from a veteran social worker:
1) Men are very underenrolled in social work schools so I do feel that a man applying already has an advantage over a woman.
2) I took the GRE's for a school that required them and did pretty well. I forwarded the results to the school I really wanted to go to even though they did not ask for them and I think this helped me as well.
3) An out-of-the-box option, if you would even consider this, would be to move to Baltimore and go to the University of Maryland where I went. They are very used to non-traditional colleges, as most of the girls who go there have Thomas Edison degrees (I did, from Maalot). The tuition for out of state is $22,000ish (plus some fees). (In state, of course, is half of that). They have a very good program.
Whatever he decides, it should be with hatzlacha!

shabri

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 4:15 am
I'm surprised Hunter doesn't require GREs. Its one of the top SW programs in NY and most of the others do. I applied there and didn't get in and did get into 2 other places. This was 10 yrs ago though so maybe things have changed. But Hunter was at least then harder to get into than NYU/Columbia b/c they have a great program at CUNY prices.

Sorry I can't help with ideas. But top grades, good essay, good letters of recc. Does he currently work/volunteer in the field? That could help a lot.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 6:30 am
Not OP, but I am following this thread with interest. I am hoping to apply to some school of social work soon, but don't have any seemingly relevant experience. Confused I taught for a few years before starting my BA, and now that I am married, finishing my BA is my priority, haven't fit anything else in.

What would be some ideas to get experience?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
My husband is considering going to Hunter college of social work to get his masters degree. can anyone tell me what are his chances in getting accepted? whould they accept a any bachelors (from TTI - Razel Reit) or even a BTL. what other factors do they look at on the application. the price is just abt $20,000 instead of $60,000 for LIU (bulka) so theres a huge diff.

new poster here.

how do these prices compare to Touro College prices for tuition? (including any standard breaks they give)

I'm wondering, not just for social work but in general for college degrees, how do the prices compare between Touro Collega, Bulka's option, Razel Reit's options, TUI, Brooklyn College etc? which colleges are more affordable and which are much more expensive? also why would someone spend 60,000 for a degree that they could get for 20,000? or are there discounts?

I have a bachelors degree and am considering continuing education and am wondering about the options.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

new poster here.

how do these prices compare to Touro College prices for tuition? (including any standard breaks they give)

I'm wondering, not just for social work but in general for college degrees, how do the prices compare between Touro Collega, Bulka's option, Razel Reit's options, TUI, Brooklyn College etc? which colleges are more affordable and which are much more expensive? also why would someone spend 60,000 for a degree that they could get for 20,000? or are there discounts?

I have a bachelors degree and am considering continuing education and am wondering about the options.

STOP LOOKING AT PRICE STICKERS--Look at the quality of the education.

Furthermore, I am scratching my head wondering why those of you with these simple questions can't find these easy-to-find answers. If you can't find the answers to such a simple query, what will happen when one of your patients needs specialized services? Will you come onto Imamother for that?

Also, ladies, the word "discount" is used on clothing and stroller sales. "Scholarship" or "tuition abatement" are terms used in education.

Now, for some actual advice (not that I haven't already given tons already on this thread--I am in education at a college, hence my desire to actually help those with questions): While there are disagreements about some of the rankings, check out US News & World Report. See where your intended programs are ranked regionally and nationally. See if where you will be living requires state-specific licensing, which may affect your decision on where to go and/or what extra work will be required of you.

(Take going to law school, for example. So many of my kids are accepted to schools in Ohio and Alaska. Well, guess what? Unless they plan on living there and being prepared for the bar exams there, I suggest they study mighty hard for NY State or see if there is reciprocity.)

PLEASE--DO YOUR RESEARCH. Do you have a potential employer in mind? Do you have an "in" with them? If so, are they telling you to simply get the degree, not caring from where? If so, then go to Touro, etc. With the exception of Hunter College, the answer for most NY-based queries will be the same for most graduate programs: Look at Stonybrook, SUNY Downstate for Medical, NYU, and Columbia.

(Exceptions: Baruch for CPA & MPA, Brooklyn for an MFA in creative writing, Lehman or Bank Street for education)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics