Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Read "Non-orthodox Jew's Guide to Orthodox Jews?"
1  2  3  4  Next

imabima

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:44 am
http://www.israelbookshoppubli.....e.asp

Anyone? It was linked on Aish.com but I've never heard of it or the author.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:53 am
I also saw it advertised and was intrigued, but haven't read it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:02 am
I haven't read it. Interesting concept, I would like to read it. But one thing bothered me immediately. The cover is supposed to be a photo of a non-frum family looking at a frum one. But the non-frum family looks like a frum family in disguise, or maybe on vacation.

Here's a link to rthe book on Amazon: Book

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:04 am
Oh yeah, it looks like the "non frum" family is just not shtark charedi or something...

imabima

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:29 am
It's funny, I noticed the strange cover picture too.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:44 am
The women have no legs.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 7:39 am
I want to but my library doesn't have it.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 7:45 am
lol they look like two frum families. the "non frum" ones even have a city mini. LOL you gotta love jews when they try to hard.

but seriously whats the book about?

cm

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:38 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Does your public library participate in a regional inter-library loan program?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:49 am
I think the 2 families are both the same people, just dressed differently.

I started reading it. The concept is interesting, and while he doesnt have anything 'new', its certainly well laid out. I found his attitude a bit conceited. he assumes there are 2 types of Jews, Orthodox and unaffiliated. Therefore, anyone not Orthodox is ignorant of all aspects of Judaism. which of course is not true. I could see a lot of Jews whoa re active in their non-frum congregations/ way of life being offended at his assumptions- and they are the very ones that this book is technically written for.
its linked on the aish web site because he went to aish and supports aish. I was telling my husband some bits of the book and he responded 'oh, ti almost sounds like he went to Aish"- which of course he did.

I will keep reading, but I will be cautious about who I recommended it to. The author says at the beginning he wont be PC, but in a book like this, you need a little bit of PC or else you lose your target audience.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:13 am
cm wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Does your public library participate in a regional inter-library loan program?

Not available in our public library system, the local tri county system and the outstate system.
But I did find what looks like an interesting book, Lightning in a Bottle, by a David Baum that I put on hold.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 11:34 am
My husband always says that you can tell the "hashkafah" of the publisher by how they depict the Rasha in the Arba Banim of the Haggadah.

Ex. - Artscroll children's haggadah - rasha is a boy with a backwards baseball hat crossing his arms. Another haggadah my parents have at home from decades ago has the rasha looking like a hunter. Etc.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 5:55 pm
Tova wrote:
My husband always says that you can tell the "hashkafah" of the publisher by how they depict the Rasha in the Arba Banim of the Haggadah.

Ex. - Artscroll children's haggadah - rasha is a boy with a backwards baseball hat crossing his arms. Another haggadah my parents have at home from decades ago has the rasha looking like a hunter. Etc.

thats interesting. I noticed that also. what kind of hashkafa would you say this front cover dipicts?

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 6:04 pm
If any of you read it, please tell me if he really implies that all gays are child molestors, and equates homosexuality with incest and worse yet, bestiality, as blogs have suggested he states.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 8:56 pm
Barbara wrote:
If any of you read it, please tell me if he really implies that all gays are child molestors, and equates homosexuality with incest and worse yet, bestiality, as blogs have suggested he states.

I was taken aback by this, and went googling. I found http://nieciedo.blogspot.com/2......html

What on earth? I could actually understand and possibly appreciate a chapter on "the orthodox view on homosexuality" (as if it's totally uniform) or one that discusses the Torah prohibition or one that discusses the immorality. But the quoted passage asks the reader to imagine a new neighbor moving in next door, dwelling on that neighbor's lifestyle and zexual preferences, being nosy, committing lashon harah, jumping to the conclusion that this neighbor is gay and going to molest your kids because you never see girlfriends come over (yeah, that's what I encourage people to think of all their socially awkward and single neighbors), and then finally engaging in a conversation with the neighbor in which he reveals that he's into zex with dogs. Even if you don't find the idea of equating homosexual urges (which most agree are not an aveirah, only acting on them is) with bestiality disgusting, would you feel comfortable giving someone a book that contains such a disgusting, unnecessary passage?

I mean, my family and most of my friends aren't frum or even Jewish. I can just picture giving them this book, then the awkward silence when they say "hey, I understand Shabbos and kashrus much better now, but did you really have to give me a book that talks about zex with dogs? And that assumes that single men who live alone are at best child molestors?"

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:00 pm
Barbara wrote:

well according to the Torah all these are considered an abomination so maybe thats what he means. from what your saying though it sounds to me like only frum pple should read it and non frum should stay far away as they prob wont relate to his way of thinking

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:08 pm
"This is because the vast, overwhelming percentage of people not living in New York, Los Angeles, or San Francisco finds homosexuality a deeply nauseating idea."

1. Nonsense
2. Offensive stereotyping
3. Nonsense
4. Did I mention nonsense?

The vast, overwhelming percentage of Americans have no problem with gay people, although they may have a problem with gay marriage, adoption, or military service.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:16 pm
Oh and I like this part:

"However, if my zoophiliac neighbor really does have a "high-paying job in a respected profession," then he has likely mastered the social skills necessary to determine that his paraphilia is generally frowned upon and thus is not likely to disclose it glibly to his neighbor.

Indeed, it is far more likely that that he had come to realize that his neighbor is a bigoted fundamentalist nutjob who has been prying like Gladys Kravitz into his personal life and decided to have a little evil fun at his expense."

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:55 pm
Barbara wrote:
equates homosexuality with incest and worse yet, bestiality, as blogs have suggested he states.

It's not him - it's God.
And of course, I mean the act, not the person.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 9:57 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I haven't read it. Interesting concept, I would like to read it. But one thing bothered me immediately. The cover is supposed to be a photo of a non-frum family looking at a frum one. But the non-frum family looks like a frum family in disguise, or maybe on vacation.

Here's a link to rthe book on Amazon: Book

Totally.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room