Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Using the toaster or microwave

kitchen designer

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:10 pm
What is the youngest age you would let a child use the toaster or microwave?

(s/o just made me feel like a bad parent cuz my almost 7 yr old likes to make grilled cheese in the toaster himself)

ora_43

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:19 pm
Whenever they could figure out how to work it themselves and not get burnt.

Seven is definitely old enough. Ignore the someone. Seriously, how did they make toaster use into a parenting issue? What's the concern - that making his own sandwich is too much responsibility? That the toast might be hot enough to make him say "ouch"? I can only imagine...

kitchen designer

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:25 pm
they told me that he could start a fire! (the only times I have ever seen a toaster fire was in a filthy toaster - not mine and mine isn't)

zigi

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:25 pm
I told them for what they want to make push the minute button once. I am there when they make themselves drinks and I oversee if they pushed the wrong number.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:35 pm
kitchen designer wrote:
they told me that he could start a fire! (the only times I have ever seen a toaster fire was in a filthy toaster - not mine and mine isn't)

Doesn't the toaster stop itself when it's done?

There's always something that in theory could go wrong, but I don't think spontaneous combustion of household objects is enough of a real concern that you should stop your kid from making his own food.

joy613

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:41 pm
Just make sure he knows the rules for usage; never to put anything paper or plastic in the toaster or anything metal in the microwave.

Btw, I've seen toaster fires start more than once and they happened because the foil paper lining the rack was touching the heat source, you know the long poles on the top that get bright red when it's on.
If there is foil in the toaster oven, he should make sure it is always flat down.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 3:58 pm
Firstly, I agree to ignore them. We don't have a toaster but I would certainly trust my 8 year old and even my 6 year old with one. As far as a microwave, even my 3 year old knows to press the button one time to make something hot. He also knows not to touch it when it comes out.

Now as far as starting a fire, I agree it's pretty difficult to start a fire with a toaster but when I was young we had a fire in my house started by a toaster. On Friday night my mom put the big soup pot down on the counter next to the toaster so she can ladle out soup. She didn't realize that the put handle pushed down the toaster button. The toaster turned on, heated up, then heated up the wooden cabinets on top of it and so on and so forth until, by 2am, the kitchen was ablaze. So on the one hand I say hey, any moron can work a toaster but on the other hand.....

obagys

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 4:18 pm
At whatever age they are able to use the appliance responsibly.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 5:04 pm
My 4 year old uses these correctly.
Supervise your child until he knows what he is doing. It's always a good idea to have someone older at home that he can run and tell if he sees fire.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 5:06 pm
DD was pretty big when she put a bagel in the microwave for 20 minutes. We all learn some time !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children