Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Yeast infection in a teenager/wont go away - HELP
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 6:05 pm
DD is 14, no periods yet. Took one antibiotic, got a yeast infection, took Diflucan. Needed a 2nd antibiotic, yeast infection came back, took a 2nd dose of Diflucan. Now 2 weeks later, she is off all meds and tells me she is itchy with a cottage cheese like discharge. I will call the MD but did anyone ever hear of this in a teen? What can I do to help this go away? I am even giving her acidophillus.

Help!

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 6:11 pm
what did the dr. say?

WriterMom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 6:16 pm
Sometimes a longer treatment with Diflucan can make a difference. In terms of causes/prevention:
- high blood sugars increase risk of yeast infections, and frequent yeast infections often lead to a basic diabetes screen (not the really rigorous one, just a fasting, or fasting + 2 hours post meal). Especially for Type 1 diabetes, there can be very few signs other than high blood sugars (unlike Type 2 which is often linked to weight gain)
- make sure she wears loose fitting natural fibre underpants. I don't know what your minhag or school uniform requirements are, but cotton tights, or knee high socks, rather than polyester tights, might be helpful
- this might be awkward to discuss, but how is she caring for that region of her anatomy? I've heard of girls who are grossed out by the changes and normal discharge that start around puberty, even before periods, and scrub the area with lots of soap, which disrupts the chemistry and can damage the mucous membranes, making infections (yeast and bacterial) more common. So making sure that she bathing that area only with clean water, and gently, is worth doing.

Good luck, this must be really unpleasant, poor girl. I was mortified discussing anything to do with that region with my family doctor when I was a teenager.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 7:05 pm
Pediatrician told me I need a kids gyno. I never even heard of on. I am having a panic attack. I am scared.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:06 pm
My doctor once told me not to sleep with underwear on at night, to give the region a chance to air and dry out. Keeping underwear on all the time can trap the moisture and keep the infection going.

losingweight

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:08 pm
I second a longer treatment of diflucan. Why don't you call your gyno for advice?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:14 pm
until you get an answer from a doctor, have her cut back the sugar and eat more probiotics.

does your acidophillus require refrigeration? it should. the kind that can stay out tends not to be that great.
cotton underwear, cleanliness, and drying out properly after showers should at least prevent it from getting worse.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:32 pm
I had this once as a teenager and my pediatrician gave me a regular yeast infection cream that you insert but told me not to insert it all the way just a tiny drop. It went away rt away.

Kayza

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
Pediatrician told me I need a kids gyno. I never even heard of on. I am having a panic attack. I am scared.

There is nothing to be scared about. And, the LAST thing your daughter needs right now is for you to have a panic attack. She needs you to be empathetic, calm and collected. This is definitely an uncomfortable situation, but not the end of the world, and you don't want to scare her unnecessarily, nor to create a situation where she is not going to tell you about issues for fear of your reaction.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:55 pm
Kayza wrote:
amother wrote:

There is nothing to be scared about. And, the LAST thing your daughter needs right now is for you to have a panic attack. She needs you to be empathetic, calm and collected. This is definitely an uncomfortable situation, but not the end of the world, and you don't want to scare her unnecessarily, nor to create a situation where she is not going to tell you about issues for fear of your reaction.

OP here- I am not having a public panic attack- rather in the privacy of my own bedroom. I told DD not to worry, I would be there, Drs. see these sort of problems all the time- BUT I AM REALLY SCARED!!( of the unknown I guess?)

She does take acidophillus, full blood work up was done like 3 months ago and all was BH Normal, including glucose.

Thanks for your suggestions- My Biggest concern is- if its not yeast perhaps that what could it be- thats what making me nervous- also because she is a very petite kid, how do you potentially get a cream and applicator "up there" in a tiny girl?

jbf

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 9:12 pm
I am in nursing school and we just learned that someone who has a yeast infection for a long time without it going away or has frequent yeast infections can be because of high blood glucose levels. You might want to ask your doctor if this could be the reason for it.

Sorry if I made you nervous.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 9:13 pm
jbf wrote:
I am in nursing school and we just learned that someone who has a yeast infection for a long time without it going away or has frequent yeast infections can be because of high blood glucose levels. You might want to ask your doctor if this could be the reason for it.

see what I wrote above. Her glucose is normal.

jbf

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
jbf wrote:

see what I wrote above. Her glucose is normal.

Totally missed that, sorry!

Young Lady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:47 am
You should try putting a piece of garlic down there, just wrap it in a gauze pad, it totally helped for my sister. And she also put some plain, unsweetened yogurt in there. Sometimes the old fashioned remedies help the most!
Btw, my sis got this advice from a known doula/labor coach...
Good luck!

tizunabi

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:41 am
amother wrote:
DD is 14, no periods yet. Took one antibiotic, got a yeast infection, took Diflucan. Needed a 2nd antibiotic, yeast infection came back, took a 2nd dose of Diflucan. Now 2 weeks later, she is off all meds and tells me she is itchy with a cottage cheese like discharge. I will call the MD but did anyone ever hear of this in a teen? What can I do to help this go away? I am even giving her acidophillus.

Help!

don't give her acidophillus!
it causes a yeast infection-like discharge, but it isn't a yeast infection.
try taking her off the acidophillus and see what happens

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:05 pm
that sort of thrush must be treated from the inside. there are suppositories and creams available. of course they can go into the right place! many besulas use tampons easily and those are the same size. the obgyn will surely be able to show her. it's not a nice thing to go through but the discomfort she's in now is also not nice it's so important to get RID of the yeast!!!

ysydmom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:14 pm
Yogurt works well or just plain acedophelus - sorry about spelling or you can try the no underwear at night along with corn storch on the area that works wonders - she should also bathe with corn storch - you can buy it in any food store I use the aargo brand.

Also if the infection keeps coming back it can cause a yeast infection when my dd who is 7/8 yrs. old gets strep she breaks out with a yeast infection. When the kids are on meds I give them yogurt or the chocolate acedophelus.

Try the corn starch and acedophelus you might also want to try cranberry juice - that is more for urinary infections but it might help here as well.

Also you can try monostat cream they sell it over the counter it's expensive but it works. It could also be that she might be allergic to the meds you might want to check that out as well.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 1:33 pm
that sort of thrush must be treated from the inside. there are suppositories and creams available. of course they can go into the right place! many besulas use tampons easily and those are the same size. the obgyn will surely be able to show her. it's not a nice thing to go through but the discomfort she's in now is also not nice it's so important to get RID of the yeast!!!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 3:32 pm
a little late replying, but I just want to suggest you find a female gyn if you haven't already. Much less traumatic for a young girl, in my opinion. Also try switching your laundry detergent to Free & clear, & do extra rinse in the machine, as an allergic reaction can seem much like a yeast infection (aside from discharge). I once bought a different brand of wipes & got a horrible reaction, til I realized it wasn't even an infection....

faigie

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 6:20 pm
probiotic should include reuteri.
there is another antifungacide used off label that kills candida. its labeled to use for fingernail fungus, called terbinafine hcl.very effective stuff
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children