Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Yeast infection in a teenager/wont go away - HELP
Previous  1  2

Gibbo

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 6:56 pm
on another note, my daughter had recurrent thrush for just over one year before her period began. It could be that this is your DD case as well. The thrush dissappeared around one month after her period started. I would lie her in bed with yogurt and a good book and this would help. also I would take her (in summer) to the beach and she would swim and feel better. For sure ONLY cotton NO tights!!

Refuah shelema!!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 7:26 pm
There is no such thing as pediatric gyno, at least in NYC. When dd has some problems, my gyn said she legally could not treat anyone under 18.

FTR, I'd start with her diet. It could be stress related too.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 8:14 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
There is no such thing as pediatric gyno, at least in NYC. When dd has some problems, my gyn said she legally could not treat anyone under 18.

Your GYN is not pediatric. But there are a TON of pediatric gynecologists! Without knowing where the OP is from, here's a quick google check of pediatric GYNs attached to major hospitals:

1) Cleveland = http://my.clevelandclinic.org/......aspx

2) Chicago = http://www.childrensmemorial.o.....=2140

Additionally, some children's hospitals have the UROLOGY department handle certain gyn issues:

- http://childrensnyp.org/mschon......html

- http://www.floridahospitalforc.....ology

amother

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 8:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Excuse me, But Im the OP here and she was treated LEGALLY by a male gynecologist who does see teenagers under 18.

BTW, he gave her 2 Diflucan and suggested different ideas, such as moist wipes while wiping to keep this extra sensitive area clean.

faigie

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 10:17 pm
Nystatin is also a nice alternative, even given to babies when the normal creams dont work,,,,,, its an inert material that goes thru the system with no ill effects...

Yocheved84

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:02 pm
OP, where are you located? From there, we can offer recommendations of doctors. For now, to reiterate what others have said and to expand a bit:

1. Re garlic: It works (or might at least make her 'feel' better, but I wouldn't do that for a girl who is not used to having things inserted in that region. The burning sensation might freak her out, especially if she's not used to having things in there.)

2. Get her to take AZO Yeast (over the counter pill) and AZO Cranberry pill and drink SUGAR-FREE CRANBERRY JUICE. A LOT. SUGAR-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, SUGAR-FREE.

2a. HER DIET NEEDS TO BE YEAST-FREE. Noooo challah!!! Keep her away from bagels and other yeast-type products.

3. She needs to be super-hydrated!!!

4. She might need Diflucan every day for 10 days.

5. Her glucose might have been normal three months ago, but might need to be retested now. Also, getting tested once is not a definitive diagnosis (or lack thereof) for anything. She should be retested more thoroughly a second time. Seriously. I'm not saying this to scare you. How many false positives have people gotten and vice-versa? Always good to double-check.

6. Have her wear "grandma panties" for the next couple of weeks. Make sure she is not wearing scented powder. She might want to dry up the area, but ask the doctor what an appropriate powder would be.

7. DO NOT USE PANTILINERS. THEY ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.

8. There is a prescription-strength anti-fungal cream that can be prescribed by your doctor that can go in internally (like monistat) and one that can go extra v aginally (on the lips of the area). Ask for that. This way, if she can't fully insert the tube (or if she's freaked out by it), at least the other anti-fungal product will work. I'm not in front of my materials, but I can go and dig up names in the morning if you want.

Most of all, though, try to keep her calm. These are tips for you, but don't make this a whole regime for her. Just say "Ok, sweetie. This is what every woman does. I got some creams for you. This is how the are applied. And here is some juice and some pills women take. It's not a big deal, and you'll feel better soon. And all women go for this test. We just take care of these things." Because stress contributes.

Also, some women get yeast infections right before menstruation. Maybe there's a cyclical connection here.

Don't worry--at the very worst, her condition isn't the worst it could be. I say this from personal experience. Take a deep breath. You and she will be ok. HUGS TO YOU FOR BEING SUCH A GREAT AND CONCERNED MOTHER.

-- yocheved

momigor

Post Sun, Feb 06 2011, 12:09 am
A diet that gets candida (yeast) out of the system will probably work. This means proteins, veggies (but no sweet veggies like carrots or sweet potato, brown rice, and no fruit, flour, sugar...I.e. a low glycemic diet. If she does this for 2 weeks to clear out the yeast situation and then adds in limited amounts of fruit, whole wheat bread (without sugar is better)....she will iyH be better.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children