Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Going away for shabbos and still wears diapers at night

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:38 pm
my 8.5 year old dd still wears diapers to bed
what would you do about going away to a kid in her class for shabbos?

lizard8

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:43 pm
I had campers in sleepaway camp who had bedwetting problems. The ones who took care of it
(some didn't- ugh!) put them on in bed and disposed the diaper in a plastic bag in the morning.
No one is really looking out for it, so if she is putting them on/disposing they wont notice.

You can tell the mother if you are more comfortable, and maybe she could arrange a way to dispose it.

Last edited by lizard8 on Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:45 pm
pull-ups. they are less bulky than diapers and thus more discreet. my kids know how to dispose of them discreetly as well.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:46 pm
What does your child think? Is she wanting to go to a friend in this situation?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:49 pm
If you and your child feel comfortable with the host family, you might want to speak to the mother or father about it, to help your child dispose of the used diaper discreetly. We had this situation, and the mother very matter-of-factly took the bag so my dd didn't have to worry about where to put it, etc. Dd is close with this family, so she didn't mind the mother knowing (and trusted that she would be private about it).

(Anon for my child's privacy)

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:57 pm
Yup! Pull-ups are a wonderful invention! This problem is far, far more common than is acknowledged, and kids almost always outgrow it. I'm not sure I would alert the host parents, since this could be embarrassing, but I would send along a plastic bag for disposal.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:59 pm
http://www.goodnites.com/na/Be.....rch=1

here's a link to padded underwear that look just like real underwear so kids aren't ashamed to have them in the suitcase......I used something similar (much older Wink) until I was 12 years old. I took them to sleepaway camp and to sleepovers at friends houses

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 3:00 pm
Forget 8.5, some guys were still wetting their bed in the army, my dad says. LOL

Some kids happen to not have accidents when away from home. If it's not her case, she can wear a diaper and put it in a bag to take home after, or better if you can tell the mom so she won't be all surprised to see one in the trash?

canadamom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:16 pm
I don't think you have to tell the hosts. At 8.5 he should be big enough to go to the bathroom and put it on privately, and take it off in the morning and put it in the garbage. (my son was wearing pull ups when he was six and he went away, I asked him what he wants me to do, and he begged me not to say anything, he b"h took care of it on his own) kids get embarrassed too! but definitely get pull ups, way more convenient than diapers.

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:19 pm
I wouldn't tell the hosts. Some moms are almost as immature as their 8 year olds. Maybe they will be wrinkling their noses and saying "ewwww." so who needs that!
I guess this is kind of like being a guest when you have your period. but an 8 year old can know how to be discreet....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children