Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Post a short biography.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:03 pm
for those who prefer to write non-fiction articles. biographies are fascinating. who's going to start?

busydev

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:10 pm
what about auto-biographies?
not that mines to interesting...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:18 pm
busydev wrote:
what about auto-biographies?
not that mines to interesting...

you could post here or start another thread. I suspect people would prefer to keep it here for anonymity's sake. autobiographies are welcome.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:22 pm
Mati's bio? But everyone here hears about her all the time already! LOL

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:24 pm
but this is the writing club. so we welcome old info, as long as it's written in a new way. let's hear about the life of mati.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:26 pm
Really if it was in French I would do it! I'll give it some thought though!

zipporah

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 5:34 pm
The first time I remember thinking about Judaism was when my dad pointed out a synagogue to me that we passed on the way to school. My dad is a Jehovah's Witness, and he wanted me to know where to go when the end times came if he couldn't get off of work to pick me up. He never gave details about the secret password I was supposed to use that would make them take me in, though... I've never quite forgiven him for that.

On another trip (this time from school back home) he decided we should investigate the stately white building that loomed over the freeway and had the word Maccabees carved into the granite roof over the steep stairs leading up to the entryway. Our footsteps echoed on the polished marble floor as we approached the receptionist.

"Is this some sort of history museum," my father asked in hushed tones?

"Ummm..." She chewed on the end of her ballpoint thoughtfully. "We sell insurance..."

Crestfallen, we returned back to the car. But my dad the hebephile was only mildly discouraged and merely bided his time til the next opportunity.

Even though I was adopted in infancy, I sometimes wonder if through some weird set of circumstances I had managed to inherit my love of Judaism from my dad. As I grew into adolescence , I soon learned that any mention of a bar or bat mitzvah from one of my classmates would begin the same lengthy preparations: my father would call my friend's parents asking about the time of the ceremony and whether it was OK if he came with me, each time clarifying into the shocked silence that he did mean the actual service at shul, not just the expected appearance at the after party. We would arrive when the shul doors opened and stay til the final amen... and considering that most of my friends were reform and conservative, this often meant I heard more of the service than the actual bar mitzvah boy. I was only saved from this by the aging-out process, though my dad did point out nice young Jewish girls he thought I should befriend in the grades below me for a few more years.

- to be continued

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 9:49 pm
Hmm.. I would like to write a number of biographies here, but they are all too long. How do you fit a person's life into one post?

Zipporah, your biography is very inspiring. I am interested to read the rest of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club