Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Finger paint on dd's shirt, any ideas?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:04 pm
Dd painted in school last week (I'm assuming it was finger paint or something similar), & came home with paint on her shirt. I washed & dried it without really thinking, because in the past paint has come off without a problem. This time though, I can't seem to get rid of the paint. I tried spraying it with Shout & washing again, but that didn't work either. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of the paint?

Thanks so much!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 10:43 pm
Soak it in a basin containing Nature Bright dissolved in boiling hot water. Overnight. Scrub off any remaining residue.
Use Oxy Clean if you don't have access to NB, but the NB works better are these types of tough stains.
Repeat if necessary. And again.
Then wash as usual.
(If the garment was dried in the dryer or ironed yet with the stain, you will have an easier time.)
Hatzlacha!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:42 am
Thank you for your help, ra_mom. Smile

Where can I buy Nature Bright? Would Shop Rite have it? Do you use it often?

The shirt went through the dryer unfortunately. I normally would have hung it to dry, but I was exhausted the night I washed it, & not fully functioning... Is there any hope for the shirt once it went through the dryer?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:30 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Thank you for your help, ra_mom. Smile

Where can I buy Nature Bright? Would Shop Rite have it? Do you use it often?

The shirt went through the dryer unfortunately. I normally would have hung it to dry, but I was exhausted the night I washed it, & not fully functioning... Is there any hope for the shirt once it went through the dryer?
It's not sold in stores. It's made by Shaklee and can be bought from distributors (I think you can find it online too.)
If you're in BP, I can give you a couple of scoops. I know how hard it is to get a hold of it.
Otherwise just use the Oxy, which is similar.
I don't know if there is hope for the shirt, but I certainly hope so! (I despise paints and markers, even the washable kinds Sad )
Just keep soaking in new boiling water and powder every day. If it doesn't come out after 2-3 days...

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:22 pm
Ra_mom, you're the sweetest! Thanks for your help. I'll get to work on it & see if I have any luck.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:43 pm
One more question - is oxyclean powder stronger than oxyclean spray? I only have spray, would that do? Or should I buy the powder?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:57 pm
greeneyes wrote:
One more question - is oxyclean powder stronger than oxyclean spray? I only have spray, would that do? Or should I buy the powder?
Oxyclean spray is very different, and the results will not be the same at all.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:08 pm
Don't forget the boiling hot water to really oxygenate the powder.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:23 pm
get some permanent paint and add to the stain. nothing like hand-painted fabric! go ahead, have some fun.

another thing you can do:

photocopy or print out a pattern on iron-on transfer sheet. cut it out in a fun shape and iron over the stain. you can photocopy a favorite patterned skirt, and make a matching outfit. why bother with difficult laundry problems?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:30 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
get some permanent paint and add to the stain. nothing like hand-painted fabric! go ahead, have some fun.

photocopy or print out a pattern on iron-on transfer sheet. cut it out in a fun shape and iron over the stain. you can photocopy a favorite patterned skirt, and make a matching outfit. why bother with difficult laundry problems?
You're cute!
I actually got a bit of bleach on a new casual dress one time. I was so disappointed.
I bought a little black iron on butterfly (the only iron on I found that worked with the dress), and covered it right up. Smile

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 2:00 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

Cute idea! Smile
The shirt already has a pattern so adding another pattern won't work.

(I've been procrastinating, haven't made any more attempts to try to get the stains out...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry