Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Do you think FAce transplants are ethical?
1  2  Next

ny21

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:48 pm
Recently a dog malled a womens face .
she received a transplant of some other womens face. shock
do you think that is ethical? Crying

Last edited by ny21 on Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:53 pm
I think its the same like giving someone a heart or a lung, its a wonderful thing to do for someone. What you dont realize is the malled woman wont look like the dead one its just her skin

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:00 pm
That's an interesting question.

ny21

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:05 pm
I have seen pictures of her and she realy has 75 percent of the
dead womens face.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:33 pm
It's a large percentage of the dead woman's face, but it doesn't look like her b/c the recipient of the donor face has different bone structure.

Did you see pictures of her before the surgery? She looked horrendous (and had terrible physical problems). . . it would be unethical not to allow this surgery.

ny21

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 3:35 pm
it realy was a while ago so I dont remember everything -

ohbaby!

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 6:55 pm
Could u post a lonk to this pictures? I would like to see them!

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 7:14 pm
yeah it saved the womans life...she pain of seeing how she looked made her suicidal. I think its ethical..just like a pp said its just like a heart of a lung and the woman has a different bone structure anyways.

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 7:27 pm
I read about a man waiting for a face transplant. His face was burned terribly, not only disfiguring him, but his facial hair follicles were destroyed, so now he gets terrible infections from hundreds (if not thousands) of ingrown hairs. Some of these infections have been life threatening. Yes, I think the ethical thing to do in his case would be to give him a face transplant.

happyone

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:18 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10294263/

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 5:53 am
Just a warning before anyone looks at the pre-surgery pics - beware - they are very very scary.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Wed, Aug 30 2006, 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 6:47 am
Doctors who gave a French woman the world’s first partial face transplant did not try normal reconstructive surgery first, violating the advice of a French government ethics panel, a surgeon familiar with the case said Thursday.

Dr. Laurent Lantieri also said he was concerned the patient may not be fit psychologically for the operation and its demands.

The 38-year-old woman, whose identity has not been disclosed, had surgery to replace her nose, lips and chin in Amiens in northern France on Sunday. The donor was a brain-dead patient whose family gave their consent.
shock

Although the woman was mauled by a dog in May, surgeons immediately sought a face transplant donor without trying to repair her face through conventional surgical methods, said Lantieri, a reconstructive surgeon.

“The ethics committee said this kind of transplant should never be considered as an emergency procedure,” said Lantieri, a reconstructive surgeon at Henri Mondor Hospital in Paris, which is part of the federation of public hospitals in France. “You cannot have informed consent as an emergency procedure.”

Lantieri said a surgeon in Lille who had seen the woman’s medical record was concerned about her psychological suitability to endure the operation and adhere to the complex drugs needed life-long to ensure the operation’s success.

The operation was done Sunday by ground-breaking transplant surgeon Dr. Jean-Michel Dubernard and Dr. Bernard Devauchelle. Dubernard led teams that performed a hand transplant in 1998 and the world’s first double forearm transplant in January 2000.

The hand transplant recipient later had it amputated. Doctors said he failed to take the required drugs and his body rejected the limb.

Lantieri said he was fearful that this transplant could turn out like that first hand transplant if the patient is psychologically unstable.

The face transplant patient was to have a second experimental treatment today — an infusion of the donor’s bone marrow — to try to prevent rejection of the new tissue.

“Maybe Jean-Michel Dubernard is revolutionizing the concept of transplantation,” Lantieri said, but added that the patient now was being subjected to two untested treatments.

Another surgeon familiar with the case told the Sydney Morning Herald in Australia sounded more optimistic despite the woman’s horrific injuries, which he said were caused by her own dog.

“She still has her own eyes, which are a lot of a person’s expression ... we’d expect she’d turn out to be a pleasant-looking girl,” said Dr. Earl Owen of Sydney, Australia.

Owen said he supervised the French surgeons as they practiced for the procedure.

He said the woman will look more like herself than the donor, who he said was a woman.

“We expect the bone structure underneath to be a more powerful delineator of what the outcome will be physically than the skin and the nose and the lips,” Owen told the Morning Herald.

Lantieri also said that while he had concerns, “I’m still very positive.

“Dubernard is a great surgeon. We have to wait now to see if it succeeds

ny21

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 3:57 pm
I have seen better pictures of her after the operations.

ohbaby!

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 8:19 pm
I didnt see any pics from pre surgery... are there any??

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 2:45 pm
The major problem with this transplant is that the face has to be taken off the donor while they are still alive, after that has happened they can then switch off the life support. To me that is no different to what they do in China with death row prisioners. They exacute them but before they are even dead they remove the organs.

ny21

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:40 pm
I am qouting a medical magazine-

They don"T want to leave hteir homes : they do shopping ;at night:
and in some case; they are unable to close their eyes or open their mouths=simple things that we take for granted.

Last edited by ny21 on Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

ny21

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 5:42 pm
it continues-
their desire for facial tissue transplants in not aboout vanity.but about a minimal quality of life that they no longer have .

ny21

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 6:10 pm
Im still quoting the magazine=

The biggest hurdle for facial transplantation is overoming immune modualtion and the safe induction of tolerance .

GAMZu

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 5:56 pm
Quote:
The major problem with this transplant is that the face has to be taken off the donor while they are still alive, after that has happened they can then switch off the life support. To me that is no different to what they do in China with death row prisoners. They execute them but before they are even dead they remove the organs.

WHAT???

Piper

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 8:09 pm
I can't comment about what goes on in China, but in the developed world, organs are not harvested until complete brain death.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics