Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Good non jewish music
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 11:39 am
Anyone know of non jewish music with clean lyrics- mild rock style? My daughter broke her radio addiction but is begging us to get her non jewish music for her MP3 that is clean.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:01 pm
It's a very slippery slope. I was told that it's better for the kids to listen to music behind your back then for you to give your kashrus stamp to any non jewish songs. That being said there's some kids party music like old Hanna Montana songs and songs like Charlie Brown,etc. that they play at Bat Mitzvah's that aren't really bad. You should listen to each and every one if you do decide to go ahead and allow it but if things get out of hand what are you going to do?

robynm

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:09 pm
once you start listening, it gets addicting. non jewish music is so much better than most jewish music. so I would be careful. maybe a better idea would be jewish music that is more hip and modern. moshav band, matisyahu....

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:12 pm
OP She was addicted behind our backs for a few months. she stopped about two months ago. Now she is bored of the cds that shehas and is asking for clean non jewish music.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:15 pm
Merrymom wrote:
It's a very slippery slope. I was told that it's better for the kids to listen to music behind your back then for you to give your kashrus stamp to any non jewish songs. That being said there's some kids party music like old Hanna Montana songs and songs like Charlie Brown,etc. that they play at Bat Mitzvah's that aren't really bad. You should listen to each and every one if you do decide to go ahead and allow it but if things get out of hand what are you going to do?

I would rather know what my child is doing wrong, than have her hide it.

Sorry, I'm not a music person. Does it have to be current? Or is older music ok?

I personally like most disney music.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:21 pm
totally depends on your definition of clean...

no boy/girl stuff whatsoever, or only "hi, I think I like you!"-type music? The latter is probably easy to find in oldies (ex. "Do you love me... now that I can dance!") and Radio Disney-style music (ex. All Star Weekend)

would you say okay to individual songs by otherwise treife artists? Katy Perry's "Firework" is about self-acceptance and the tune itself isn't club-thumpy or anything, but most of her other songs are soooo not okay.

like others say, it's a slippery slope. I wish I had advice -- don't know what I'll do when my kids grow up!

obagys

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:23 pm
I started listening to non-jewish music as a teen also, and still do. That includes radio & my iPod. My mom was very against it but I had a radio in my room that was also my alarm clock so it was super easy to listen whenever I wanted to. Or even in the car when I was driving.

Anyway, can you explain exactly what you mean by "clean"? Like, obviously explicit language (cursing, s-xual content) isn't what you had in mind, but what about songs that don't say anything outright but there are undertones or the topic deals with love/relationships? Even the "harmless" songs that are mid-rock/pop often deal with these themes.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:23 pm
there are some beyonce songs which are good (eg halo)
hannah montana are ok.
does she like fast or slow? coz theres also celine dion (my heart will go one from titanic, I believe in you)
westlife and il divo are also great.
the corrs (and irish family group) also have some really nice good songs.

hope that helps.

Depressed

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:24 pm
Instead of talking all this drivel , let them eat treif behind our back , rather then give a hechsher, bla bla bla.. It sounds wonderful, but I dont believe it for a second, and if you did a little self-introspection, I dont think you do either..

Why not get them interested in Classical music (ie: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc...) . Its very uplifting, and as a side benefit, they may develop some class, refinement, and culture...

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:39 pm
Depressed wrote:
Instead of talking all this drivel , let them eat treif behind our back , rather then give a hechsher, bla bla bla.. It sounds wonderful, but I dont believe it for a second, and if you did a little self-introspection, I dont think you do either..

Why not get them interested in Classical music (ie: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc...) . Its very uplifting, and as a side benefit, they may develop some class, refinement, and culture...

Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 12:47 pm
Merrymom wrote:
Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

Bach's Tocatta and Fugue -- skip ahead to 1:52 or 2:31

8) Twisted Evil

FACE-MELTING GUITAR SOLOS OF EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youtube widget-thing isn't working?

Prez

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:06 pm
I sorta agree about the whole- is it ok to put a stamp of approval on something you do not agree on? Since by you actually giving her songs- you are telling her- some music is ok, and there is a very fine line/ slippery slope between what is/isnt 'clean'
ANyways, since you were not asking advice- just suggestions- glee has really cute good songs, most of them are reworked, and are teenager appropriate, although a lot have the 'longing for you' theme, there are also songs of self acceptance, confidence etc,,, you can check it out on itunes

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:15 pm
Why cant op give her approval to her dd listening to music as long as the music passes by her first?
I dont know the op and I dont know her dd, but I do know that if the dd is desperate and her parents ignore, she will either go back to the radio or will just get stuff herself and imho that is worse than having an mp3 with music that her parents are in control of.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:15 pm
Avril Lavigne is pretty clean, and reallllly good

Depressed

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:17 pm
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Some classical music can be very exciting like the 1812 Overture or Motzart's Ein Klien Nacht Music or Bethovens Finale to the 5th Symphony. Then there are absolutely gorgeous peices like Strauses Blue Danube Waltz. There is an orchestra leader named Andre Rieu who is all about making classical music hip and relevant to todays generation. His website is www.andrerieu.com. People of all ages and generations enjoy his performances.

robynm

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Avril Lavigne is pretty clean, and reallllly good

while I agree that avril is really good. her music is all about love lost and she is an angry teenage singer... comes out in her music!

I second Glee Soundtracks

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:26 pm
Depressed wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Some classical music can be very exciting like the 1812 Overture or Motzart's Ein Klien Nacht Music or Bethovens Finale to the 5th Symphony. Then there are absolutely gorgeous peices like Strauses Blue Danube Waltz. There is an orchestra leader named Andre Rieu who is all about making classical music hip and relevant to todays generation. His website is www.andrerieu.com. People of all ages and generations enjoy his performances.

although im not really into classical music (gets boring after 2 mins) and yes I can imagine a teenage girls eyes going Rolling Eyes at the suggestion, I do enjoy plain music and can suggest yanni coz im a big fan!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:26 pm
OP She is asking us because she really wants to listen but feels very guilty doing it behind our backs. In regard to what is clean - no vulgar language of references to s*x - a little longing is okay.

robynm

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:28 pm
how old is she?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:28 pm
yes, avril does talk about love and seems to be angry a lot of the time, but I think it would be very hard to find any rock music that is "softer."
Maybe some of the Beatles songs would be good? I just don't know if she'd be into them. She's already exposed to the musical style of today.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children