Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Good non jewish music
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:47 pm
I say dance music. A lot of it is more about the beat and less about lyrics.

For example, Alice Deejay's song 'better off alone' has two lyrics repeated "Talk to me, oooo, talk to me" and "Do you think you're better off alone?" and the rest is music. Darude has some fabulous 100% instrumental dance songs. If you associate that kind of music with clubs or raves, well... that's another thing.

I listed to dance music when I work out and I love it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:07 pm
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:
Instead of talking all this drivel , let them eat treif behind our back , rather then give a hechsher, bla bla bla.. It sounds wonderful, but I dont believe it for a second, and if you did a little self-introspection, I dont think you do either..

Why not get them interested in Classical music (ie: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc...) . Its very uplifting, and as a side benefit, they may develop some class, refinement, and culture...

Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

Actually, I teach music, and the majority of girls really get turned on to Classical stuff. With teens, I find that it is all in the presentation...

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:
Instead of talking all this drivel , let them eat treif behind our back , rather then give a hechsher, bla bla bla.. It sounds wonderful, but I dont believe it for a second, and if you did a little self-introspection, I dont think you do either..

Why not get them interested in Classical music (ie: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc...) . Its very uplifting, and as a side benefit, they may develop some class, refinement, and culture...

Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

Actually, I teach music, and the majority of girls really get turned on to Classical stuff. With teens, I find that it is all in the presentation...

Not to get off topic, but I teach music too! (an OOT Bais Yaakov 11th grade, History of Classical Music + bits of music theory and a unit on World Music) Where do you teach (Jewish or public school), and at what level? you can PM me. Smile

B"H, my students really enjoy the class, and enjoy pointing out sonata form or talking about Schumann's manic-depressive tendencies (Florestan and Eusebius were the names he gave to his two personalities) to their parents and such, but I don't know if classical music can replace pop/rock music for most teenagers, y'know?

It's like an awesome science teacher getting kids into chemistry or physics -- but how many kids will actually go home and do experiments on their own time?

Depressed

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:29 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Depressed wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Some classical music can be very exciting like the 1812 Overture or Motzart's Ein Klien Nacht Music or Bethovens Finale to the 5th Symphony. Then there are absolutely gorgeous peices like Strauses Blue Danube Waltz. There is an orchestra leader named Andre Rieu who is all about making classical music hip and relevant to todays generation. His website is www.andrerieu.com. People of all ages and generations enjoy his performances.

although im not really into classical music (gets boring after 2 mins) and yes I can imagine a teenage girls eyes going Rolling Eyes at the suggestion, I do enjoy plain music and can suggest yanni coz im a big fan!

Boring???? Try 1812 Overture.......you've obviously been listening to the wrong classical music.

Depressed

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:32 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
amother wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Not to get off topic, but I teach music too! (an OOT Bais Yaakov 11th grade, History of Classical Music + bits of music theory and a unit on World Music) Where do you teach (Jewish or public school), and at what level? you can PM me. Smile

B"H, my students really enjoy the class, and enjoy pointing out sonata form or talking about Schumann's manic-depressive tendencies (Florestan and Eusebius were the names he gave to his two personalities) to their parents and such, but I don't know if classical music can replace pop/rock music for most teenagers, y'know?

It's like an awesome science teacher getting kids into chemistry or physics -- but how many kids will actually go home and do experiments on their own time?

How about a band and or orchestra in a girls HS? Thats how I developed my appreciation for classical music. I played violin.

robynm

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:33 pm
as a more recent teen-ager, ill tell you that I listen to only non jewish music. and have always. (with a rare liking of shwekey) and while ive always liked classical music. teens listen to music to reflect their moods. and most kids dont find it very "cool" to listen to classical.... they would rather listen to pop, rock, rap... and some metal (eww).

and about the chinuch aspect... better to know what theyre doing than have them going behind you back... it starts woth music, and goes to much worse things....

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:42 pm
OP She is almost 15 years old.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:56 pm
Coldplay is amazing! Beautiful music w/non-offensive lyrics

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:13 pm
Some country music is kind of pop-like, clean, and tractor and truck free. Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....av2el (Phil Vassar- This is my life)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFxSA1n3YNw (Chuck Wicks- All I ever wanted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....av2nm (Keith Urban- I told you so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbSK1WNtXs (Jimmy Wayne- I will)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....av2el (David Nail- Red light)

There are so many more beautiful country songs that are clean, but may not be poppy or rocky enough for your daughter, like

Trace Adkins -(You're gonna miss this) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....av2em

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:19 pm
oooh... how about Taylor Swift?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:20 pm
And Carrie Underwood?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:20 pm
Kris Allen?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:22 pm
the script, one republic

baba

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:48 pm
There's a dutch rock band called krezip, almost all their songs are clean as well as very good. You can find them on youtube and check it out.
Or Anouk. I only really know her first songs, so dont know how clean she stayed in her latter years.

frimamom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 3:54 pm
How about celine dion, jlo, mariah carey, chris daughtry , Try to get her to listen to old songs like the Beatles. The old songs are much cleaner than the new ones....

imamama

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 4:02 pm
Nickel Creek. This is the best song ever.

Smoothie Song

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 4:42 pm
A big problem with the radio is the between songs banter. So if a kid's listening to fairly inoffensive secular stuff NOT on radio, that might be half the battle.
Personally, my taste in secular music was informed by my older cousin's record collection. So I handed my kids a best of Simon and Garfunkel tape some time ago to let them know what kind of secular music was inoffensive in my opinion. Don't think they were all that impressed... kids these days....

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:19 am
Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Ace of Base, Carpenters, Shawn Colvin, Dar Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Procol Harum, Smiths, They Might Be Giants are all clean music.

In terms of classical, a teenage girl might like Ravel and Debussy.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:29 am
Evanescence's "My Immortal" but don't let her listen to anything else by them.
Most of Simple Plan's songs are clean and catchy and relatable for a teenager.
Is the Glee soundtrack really clean? If they use half the songs from the show I find that really hard to believe.

The only non jewish music I really listened to in High School were Disney soundtracks, some of that music is awesome.
I would focus more on getting some of the better Jewish music like Mattisyahu who isn't technically Jewish music.

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 4:49 am
How about ethnical, like african brazilian etc.m, a little jazzy? It is very beautiful! And I loved it as a teen.

http://www.putumayo.com/en/?ut.....irect

Also, how about suondtracks? Soundtrack to Amelie, Romeo and Juliette, Ennio Moricone (Sp?) etc.?

There is also Royksopp and De Phazz with sometimes playful but never dirty lyrics - and sometimes with no lyrics at all!
Those are small European bands. If you go this direction, you may discover a lot classy music with no negative connotations.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children