Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Good non jewish music
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 6:51 am
Also Bob Dylan. "Blowin' in the Wind" and all that.

baba

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:19 am
imaima wrote:
How about ethnical, like african brazilian etc.m, a little jazzy? It is very beautiful! And I loved it as a teen.

http://www.putumayo.com/en/?ut.....irect

Also, how about suondtracks? Soundtrack to Amelie, Romeo and Juliette, Ennio Moricone (Sp?) etc.?

There is also Royksopp and De Phazz with sometimes playful but never dirty lyrics - and sometimes with no lyrics at all!
Those are small European bands. If you go this direction, you may discover a lot classy music with no negative connotations.

I was just thinking this. I find that most of the music here in europe is really pretty clean. So try looking in that corner. I already mentioned 2 rock bands. There's also Kane. You can find them all on youtube.

Dayzmom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:08 am
Disney music like Big Time Rush. They have some pretty catchy tunes. Miranda Cosgrove is another good one.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:47 am
//

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:48 am
I listen to non jewish music and have been since my early teens. Truthfully? I was uncomfortable with heavy cursing or very suggestive lyrics and veered away from it on my own. Honestly your daughter sounds like this 'type' of person, with the whole not wanting to go behind your back, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Regarding specific songs, every singer will prob have one or two inappropriate ones. But I like rob thomas and matchbox twenty (unwell is SUCH a teenage song, I'd listen to it over and over in my moody teenage years.) Many country songs are fun and fairly clean.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:48 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

Bach's Tocatta and Fugue -- skip ahead to 1:52 or 2:31

8) Twisted Evil

FACE-MELTING GUITAR SOLOS OF EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youtube widget-thing isn't working?

You rock. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:31 am
OP My daughter told me she wanted a cd of a certain singer that she heard on disney radio while she was listening to the radio. yesterday after I posted this , I googled the singer and printed up the lyrics of four song.Only one was okay in my books. I had her read the lyrics and she said" OMG I never knew these were the words. I was just following the beat." Last night she took out three cd from the children section of the library. I had her censor it. One whole cd was no good -only three or four si\ongs on the other were good. I will google the lyrics and iof they are Ok I will try to see if I can purs\chase them to download on her MP3. She now admits that non jewish music could affect you by hearing words over and over.

spring13

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:42 am
The Beatles, Glee soundtracks, Taylor Swift are all good choices.

I listen to a lot of Irish music, so I have to recommend Gaelic Storm. Their albums include both instrumental and vocal music, the vocals are clean and often really funny, and they can't be beat for instrumentals. They give traditional styles a very modern sound.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:44 am
I second the recommendation for Irish music. The Corrs, the Dubliners... good stuff!

mommalah

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:52 am
sequoia wrote:
Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Ace of Base, Carpenters, Shawn Colvin, Dar Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Procol Harum, Smiths, They Might Be Giants are all clean music.

In terms of classical, a teenage girl might like Ravel and Debussy.

Ace of Base? Don't they sing "all that she wants is another baby"? If op believes in censoring the music her teenage daughter listens to for fear of her internalizing the messages, this one might not be appropriate.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:55 am
mommalah wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Ace of Base, Carpenters, Shawn Colvin, Dar Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Procol Harum, Smiths, They Might Be Giants are all clean music.

In terms of classical, a teenage girl might like Ravel and Debussy.

Ace of Base? Don't they sing "all that she wants is another baby"? If op believes in censoring the music her teenage daughter listens to for fear of her internalizing the messages, this one might not be appropriate.

It should be obvious I haven't listened to the lyrics as carefully as she will.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
I second the recommendation for Irish music. The Corrs, the Dubliners... good stuff!

Another Thumbs Up to Irish/Celtic music. I've got Scottish blood, and my family would go to the Scottish Highland Games on Memorial Day weekend when I was a kid. So many bagpipe bands everywhere you heard it in your head for hours afterwards.

My favorite Gaelic Storm song is "The Night I Punched Russell Crowe". Other great groups are the Wicked Tinkers, Waterboys and Celtic Thunder/Celtic Woman (much smoother style, very classy).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:02 pm
If you want to censor, I think you should decide what exactly is off limits and check the lyrics (you can find them online) every time.

Foreign music solves the problem!

If you choose older modern music, don't tell her "it's modern it's from the 70's" or it may turn a teen off Wink

thatworn

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:10 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Another Thumbs Up to Irish/Celtic music. I've got Scottish blood, and my family would go to the Scottish Highland Games on Memorial Day weekend when I was a kid. So many bagpipe bands everywhere you heard it in your head for hours afterwards.

My favorite Gaelic Storm song is "The Night I Punched Russell Crowe". Other great groups are the Wicked Tinkers, Waterboys and Celtic Thunder/Celtic Woman (much smoother style, very classy).

Not that I at all condone ANY secular music, as I subscribe to the idea of connecting to the neshoma of the person who wrote the music one listens to, but FYI two of the Waterboys are/were Yidden. I mean, they're still Yidden but have no idea if they're in the band still as I never saw the band and never heard any of their music and wouldn't know where to find out such info.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:14 pm
Yet another vote for Irish/celtic music. Love it!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:23 pm
That one solves the problem of lyrics! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanomi

Also

"Kerua" by Urban Trad
"Space Lullabies and other Fantasmagore" by Ekova.

Apparently the group Magma did the same thing in the 60's.

thatworn

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:28 pm
Why are so many people recommending the Beatles? Weren't they high as kites when writing their music and lyrics? The whole secular music slope is such a slippery one. It's replete with stress. The lyrics can be off-colour. They might seem clean but then there's a hidden message. The people who wrote the lyrics might not be so savoury. The perosn who wrote them might usually be savoury but after imbibing in multiple chemicals before sitting down to compose, brought him/herself into an unsavoury state.

Even classical music can't be so great as it was the "pop" music of its time and I didn't the Nazis, yemach shemo, use certain componisten as part of their filthy propaganda?

Then, what happens if the listener likes music so much that she decides she wants to stat going to concerts of the bands she listens to, with all their mixed dancing and other such evils?

I've come to the conclusion that the only music that's safe is in the style of chossidishe niggunim. I can just imagine cvs the dc rebelling and just listening to whatever they want to behind my poor, unknowing back. What can we do? Oy.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 12:42 pm
What can we do? Follow OUR shitta (many have no issue with decent lyrics) and daven. And move in a place where we will be surrounded by people holding like us, so the kids don't feel "cheated".

As for the Nazis, using something for bad doesn't make it forbidden. Even the Talmud has been used for bad by some non jews.

I have been listening to non Jewish music all my life and never felt the desire to shlep and pay for a concert. Not that everyone dances at a concert. Not that I consider mixed dancing evil, just forbidden. And even then, feel free to inquire about what was going on mixed dancing wise 30 years ago!

Every eida has its music, and considers it kosher. Indian Jews don't have kol isha problem, doesn't make it treif (feel free to inquire about all the Orthodox shuls with a female or mixed, Jewish or non Jewish or mixed choir once upon a time, too). To each their own. You can do a search on Imamother on all these topics, there are plenty of threads Smile

We can only follow our psak, not borrow other people's chumros, and daven.

thatworn

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:
What can we do? Follow OUR shitta (many have no issue with decent lyrics) and daven. And move in a place where we will be surrounded by people holding like us, so the kids don't feel "cheated".

As for the Nazis, using something for bad doesn't make it forbidden. Even the Talmud has been used for bad by some non jews.

I have been listening to non Jewish music all my life and never felt the desire to shlep and pay for a concert. Not that everyone dances at a concert. Not that I consider mixed dancing evil, just forbidden. And even then, feel free to inquire about what was going on mixed dancing wise 30 years ago!

Every eida has its music, and considers it kosher. Indian Jews don't have kol isha problem, doesn't make it treif (feel free to inquire about all the Orthodox shuls with a female or mixed, Jewish or non Jewish or mixed choir once upon a time, too). To each their own. You can do a search on Imamother on all these topics, there are plenty of threads Smile

We can only follow our psak, not borrow other people's chumros, and daven.

What you advise is all so very true. I am just an extremist clutching at that alluring sign that says "middle ground".

mama-star

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:25 pm
simon and garfunkel? not all songs are "clean" but 99% are. plus they are awesome.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children