Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Two laundry related questions

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:04 pm
1. how often do you change the sheets on your beds?
2. how many loads of laundry do you do a day?

I met a lady a few days ago who said that she changes her sheets (and that of her husband and three children) every day. Is that not just a bit over the top? or even a bit OCD?
She also said that she does 9 loads of laundry a day. That makes even less sense to me as there are 5 of them in the household. what in the world is she washing? the drapes and carpets?

Please tell me if you think I am over reacting or this does seem to be a bit over the top.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 1:39 pm
Yes, that does sound a touch OCD.

I used to change our linens every other week, so they stayed on the beds for 2 weeks.

(Now I change them every week, because of my allergy sensativities. I am putting this in parenthasis, because most people I know do not change their linens so often, and I wouldn't if not for allergies. And yes, our linen doesn't last as long since we started changing every week.)

Laundry, I do about 6 loads of garments per week.
(2 loads of linen, 2-3 loads of towels, 1 load of rags - but rags are only washed every other week).

So that comes out to 1-1/2 loads a day.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:27 pm
OCD? That's mildly stated. I'd rather call it MAD. And 9 loads a day? I know someone who had OCD and changed his underwear several times a day. So if there are 5 of them changing every 2-3 hours, makes sense. Mad

Liba

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:29 pm
We change linens every week or two.

Laundry, I do 1-2 loads most days but my machine is on the small side.

rovacat

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:30 pm
something doesn't make sense to me. to do 9 loads a day, would make laundry her full time job. she wouldn't have time for anything else! when's she doing the cooking, cleaning, errands...there's a misunderstanding here.

SHMEIJEL

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:34 pm
Sounds OCD. But don't judge her! let her be. Just don't feel you have to do the same, LOL!
I do lots of laundry throughout the week. with little ones around I'm bound to have lots of clothing to wash.
linen I try to do every other week and towels as soon as I have a load full, it goes in!

Some people only have a certain amount of stuff so they wash and re-use.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:35 pm
we are a family of 4. I change the linens once a week, that's 2 loads right there cuz my linens plus my kids.

otherwise I would say I do 8 loads a week. I wait to do my laundry once a week since I don't want to be busy with it all week, and I think fewer full loads cost less energy/water than many smaller loads. I do one light, one white, one dark regular, one dark delicates, one dark handwash, and a few towel/shmatte washes. I guess I throw some stuff in here or there if I need something specific washed.

however, if I washed all my things every day, I would be doing 6 loads a day just smaller loads.

don't know if that lasy is OCD, does she have a larger family and can fill up full loads every day? or maybe she prefers to have all her laundry washed every day. dunno.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:45 pm
SingALong wrote:
we are a family of 4. I change the linens once a week, that's 2 loads right there cuz my linens plus my kids.

otherwise I would say I do 8 loads a week. I wait to do my laundry once a week since I don't want to be busy with it all week, and I think fewer full loads cost less energy/water than many smaller loads. I do one light, one white, one dark regular, one dark delicates, one dark handwash, and a few towel/shmatte washes. I guess I throw some stuff in here or there if I need something specific washed.

however, if I washed all my things every day, I would be doing 6 loads a day just smaller loads.

don't know if that lasy is OCD, does she have a larger family and can fill up full loads every day? or maybe she prefers to have all her laundry washed every day. dunno.
I mentioned above that she has 3 children, herself and husband, so that is 5 people. I do not think that there is any way that she could have 9 loads a day, even if she washed everything from the day before. that could be maybe 2 loads.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 2:59 pm
maybe her machine is small.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
maybe her machine is small.
it does not matter. we have a small machine, but I still dont do anywhere around that amount of laundry.

Marigold

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:34 pm
Yes, 9 loads of laundry per day for that family size is over the top....

(And this is coming from someone who's a bit of a laundry slave embarrassed .)

invisiblecircus

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 7:30 pm
I change linens once every one or two weeks.

I think changing them every day is over the top but maybe they have allergies? Nine loads per day makes sense if they are changing the linens, especially if they have matress protectors and pillow protectors that are also being changed every day. When I wash the whole lot that's two loads just for one bed.

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 7:50 pm
We are a family of 7.
I change linen every other week.
I do about probably 9 loads of laundry a week.
How does this woman have time to eat?

mamommommy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 8:06 pm
That woman is either OCD or lying. I can't imagine a machine small enough that would require 9 loads a day for a family of 5. But lets' try to be dan l'kaf zechus : One load dark clothes, one load light clothes, one load delicates, two loads linens, one load towels....nope still only adds up to 6 and that was being generous. Really weird.

I change my family's linens once every other week (unless there's a reason to do it more often) and I usually do 2 loads of laundry a day - one light and one dark). Combine that with linens, towels, delicates and other odds and ends and at most I'll end up with 4-5 loads in a given day but I have (k"h) a big family, and that's definitely not every day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry