Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Over-the-range microwave convection combos

whirlwind

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 9:26 pm
I'm looking into getting an over-the-range microwave convection combo and I'd love to hear feedback from those of you who use one. Right now I have a separate microwave that's parev - we cover everything we put in - and a convection oven that's milchig. Re. the combos - does the microwave function work the same as a regular microwave? How 'bout the convection feature? Is that the same as a regular convection oven? Can you cover the food with saran wrap cuz that would melt in a convection oven and can you use foil pans cuz those would be dangerous in a microwave. Also, do you need a hood on top of the unit or does it have a fan on bottom or something? In other words, how do you vent the air from the range if you have the unit over the range? Any info you can share would be helpful. TIA

momomany

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 9:36 pm
We have a GE Profile microwave convection oven mounted over the gas range.

Quote:
\- does the microwave function work the same as a regular microwave?

yes - you remove the oven racks & put the food on the glass turntable or on any microwave safe dish (paper, plastic etc.)

Quote:
How 'bout the convection feature? Is that the same as a regular convection oven? Can you cover the food with saran wrap cuz that would melt in a convection oven and can you use foil pans cuz those would be dangerous in a microwave.

It works like a regular convection oven. My oven fits 4 9x13 pans - 2 on each rack. When you are using it in convection mode, you cannot use paper or plastic. You use foil, or any other pan etc. that is safe in a regular oven.

Quote:
Also, do you need a hood on top of the unit or does it have a fan on bottom or something? In other words, how do you vent the air from the range if you have the unit over the range?

When the unit is installed, it is vented. The bottom of the oven has these silver filter thingies & if there are many pots on high heat on the range, often a fan inside the bottom of the micro/convection goes on. There is also a light underneath that can be turned on, illuminating the gas range.

okeydocke

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:41 pm
very well said momomany
I also have a ge profile, I agree with what she said
it was 1 of my best kitchen investment
1 cool feture it has that it can shut off after an hour or so, or what ever you set the timer on, like when you leave the house, and the food didnt finish baking
make sure that its stanless inseide, that washes great.

girliemom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 11:11 pm
from what I know the GE profile is the only microwave-convection combo available for over the range.

whirlwind

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 9:09 am
Quote:
Also, do you need a hood on top of the unit or does it have a fan on bottom or something? In other words, how do you vent the air from the range if you have the unit over the range?

When the unit is installed, it is vented. The bottom of the oven has these silver filter thingies & if there are many pots on high heat on the range, often a fan inside the bottom of the micro/convection goes on. There is also a light underneath that can be turned on, illuminating the gas range.[/quote]

Thanks this post was very helpful. The previous owner in our home must have had a different vent system because right now there are cabinets above the range with a dryer-vent-like thingy that goes outside. Can we get rid of this? Sounds like from your description that we won't need it for the microwave-convection. Anyone have the model number of the GE profile you're referring to? TIA

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:05 am
You need to buy a until that can stand up to the heat of the stove and oven. Tel the store that when you are looking.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:33 am
girliemom wrote:
from what I know the GE profile is the only microwave-convection combo available for over the range.

That's my understanding as well.

We also have this unit and like it a lot. My only complaint is the oven racks don't slide out.

chaya35

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:38 am
girliemom wrote:

I'm almost sure my neighbor has a Maytag microwave-convection combo but it only has a round stand in it so you can only fit one pan at a time. The GE is much better it has 2 racks and you can fit 4 at a time.

WriterMom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 10:50 am
Grrr ... I wanted this, DH thought it was unnecessary, we had a nearly marriage-ending disagreement about it (ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit) and I ended up giving in. His argument was, we've made it this long without one, why spend $200 more for the capacity if we don't need it?

I can't TELL you how many times I would've been able to use it. My plan was for it to mainly be my dairy oven, since I seldom microwave meat and most of my dairy cooking doesn't need the size of a regular oven. Also, if we're cooking many things at once, it opens up a lot of options.

So I can't tell you how I like using it, but I can tell you everyone I know who has this likes it, and there are many many moments when I would find it handy to have this capability.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:40 pm
ok, someone explain this to me... I looked into the GE micro/convec oven and my understanding was that no matter which way you use it, the oven using microwaves to heat the food. the convection feature just circulates the air inside the oven to speed heating. I looked at it, it was not stainless inside, how could it be if its a microwave?
the salesman told us that you cannot use foil in it, even when on convection mode, as it is still primarily a microwave oven.
was the salesman wrong (entirely possible, he was wrong about other things as well it turns out)?

momomany

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:39 pm
Mine is a GE Profile microwave and Convection oven. The model number is JVM1790WK 01. The inside is stainless. It has 2 metal racks & a glass circular tray at the bottom.
It has full microwave features like a regular microwave.
It also works as a regular convection oven.
As I said before, when in microwave mode, I remove the racks & use paper, plastic or glass utensils.
When in convection mode, I use the racks & I use foil, metal, or oven-safe glass utensils.
Google over the range microwave convection ovens.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 8:09 am
do you mind my asking when you got it?
I'm hoping it wasnt available when I shopped, because thats what I wanted and couldnt find anything like it.

I did a quick google search and couldnt really see inside, will do a more extensive search soon, but is the convection oven gas or electric? cant imagine having an electric heating element inside a microwave.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 8:28 am
granolamom wrote:
ok, someone explain this to me... I looked into the GE micro/convec oven and my understanding was that no matter which way you use it, the oven using microwaves to heat the food. the convection feature just circulates the air inside the oven to speed heating. I looked at it, it was not stainless inside, how could it be if its a microwave?
the salesman told us that you cannot use foil in it, even when on convection mode, as it is still primarily a microwave oven.
was the salesman wrong (entirely possible, he was wrong about other things as well it turns out)?

I don't remember the brand we looked at but I THINK it was GE. Anyway, you can leave the metal racks in when you're microwaving. We looked it up in the manual, double checked with the salesman, and tested it in the store! I don't understand either, I thought metal in a microwave was verboten; my husband said it might be because the racks are connected to the walls, so there's no arcing, which might be the real problem, so still no foil or metal rimmed plates.

momomany

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 8:51 am
Quote:
[quote="granolamom"]do you mind my asking when you got it?
I'm hoping it wasnt available when I shopped, because thats what I wanted and couldnt find anything like it.

a few years ago

Quote:
I did a quick google search and couldnt really see inside, will do a more extensive search soon, but is the convection oven gas or electric? cant imagine having an electric heating element inside a microwave

electric, but the heating element is not visible

Quote:
I don't remember the brand we looked at but I THINK it was GE. Anyway, you can leave the metal racks in when you're microwaving.

I used to leave the racks in & then once (maye some food was stuck on it) a fire started at the plasticy clip that the rack rests on & it melted, so now I prop it up on one side with a small glass cup which can stay in during microwave and convection use.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 10:21 am
There are actually many options, as you an see Here

I really wanted one, but we already have a separate microwave and convection and this was a lot to invest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen