Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Side dish help

momofgirls

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:35 am
I need ideas for side dishes dh is complaining I make the same thing all the time. Lets see some creativity.
P.S it can't be to complicated

MOM222

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:27 am
Eggrolls

Buy frozen egg roll wrappers.

Saute onion with coleslaw mix. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
Fill in wrappers. Fold and fry on both sides. Freezes great.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:31 am
Cauliflower kugel
scalloped potatoes
bourekas
taco salad

JMto2

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 10:36 am
Defy can I please have the recipe for taco salad. Thanks

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:10 am
Brown 1/2 of ground beef, add taco seasoning. Let cool

For salad:
bag of lettuce
avocado
pickle
peas
corn
tomatoes
(whatever else you like)

Dressing:
mix together mayo and salsa, add some chili powder and garlic (you can also put in a dash of taco sauce or hot sauce).

JMto2

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:14 am
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:30 am
do you want more kugels? salads? noodles or other starchy sides? veggies?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:33 am
CATEGORY: SOUP
Cheapskate Tomato Soup
Quick and easy! Gleaned from one of the cheapskate magazines . . .
6 oz. tomato paste in can
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
24 oz. milk - refill tomato paste can four times
Put tomato sauce in small saucepan. Add milk, salt, celery salt. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Of course, you can double or quadruple the recipe, depending on how much tomato paste you have . . . and people to serve.

CARROT GINGER soup

Peel and cut up a package of carrots. Sautee in 2 T oil along with two cut up stalks of celery, a big zucchini, and two onions.

Add a big chunk of ginger or 1 T ground ginger or both, if you like a zingy soup. Add 6 cups of water and bring to boil. Let simmer 20 minutes or until all veggies are tender.

Add 1/2 cup rice (leftover is okay) and 1 cup milk or soymilk. Let simmer another ten minutes and puree with blender and add 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Serve, eat, and enjoy!

Creamy Zucchini Soup
Adapted from the Arcman Chef of Tidewater, VA
Simple & quick! Recipe halves, doubles and triples easily. Freezes well.

Sautee two large sliced onions and four cut up garlic cloves in a small amount of oil.

Add 1 tsp of bay leaves and some parsley (dried or fresh), salt and pepper to taste.

Add 4 lbs. (about four large) cut up zucchinis to mixture. Peeling is optional (the peels add a lovely green tint to the soup).

Add two cups water or broth, and a cup of dry white wine. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until zucchini is soft.

Mash zucchinis with potato masher, hand blender, or leave chunky. Serve, eat, and enjoy!

CATEGORY VEGETABLES:

Tomato Toss
From a newspaper growing up in Washington DC:
Cut 4 large peeled tomatoes into medium slices. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parsley. Mix a clove of garlic, 6 T olive oil, 2 T vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. basil leaf and 1/3 tsp. pepper. Pour over tomatoes and chill 3 hours in tight lidded container.

The Famous Purple Salad
Slice (on coarse blade) a red cabbage or cut into small pieces.
Cut up a bunch of scallions
Mix in large serving bowl.

Add dressing:
Healthy splash of olive oil to coat lightly
1/3 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
5 or 6 shakes of soy sauce
1/4 tsp ginger powder (optional, for a little Asian flavor)
a handful of Sesame seeds, toasted in oven for a few minutes until brown – serve sprinkled on top for maximum crunch

Broccoli Salad

Ingredients:
1 small box broccoli or equal amount of fresh broccoli
1 large or four small plum tomatoes
1 cup kidney beans (canned); I used a cut-up green pepper instead
1 small red onion, cut up
1 capful olive oil
2 T white vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1 handful (cup) of shredded cheese, any kind
salt & pepper to taste

Steam broccoli until soft. If you are using the frozen kind, you may not have to steam it at all, since it’s already parboiled I think. Anyway, it would have to defrost first. If you are cooking it, let cool in the freezer a little while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Next, cut up tomato (es) and red onion and put in serving bowl with your beans or pepper. Add the seasonings and the broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese.

Serve, eat & enjoy!

Fake Grilled Veggie Salad
We live in a city apartment and can't grill and it gets my goat to see all those grilled yummy recipes. Here's our substitute:
Grill 2 red or green bell peppers until broiler, turning until charred. Place peppers in plastic bag to cool. Remove skin and seeds. Dice.
Scald, peel, seed, and chop 4 large red tomatoes coarsely.
In medium mixing bowl, combine veggies with 1/3 cup parsley, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespooons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
Chill. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Fake Grilled Veggie Salad
We live in a city apartment and can't grill and it gets my goat to see all those grilled yummy recipes. Here's our substitute:
Grill 2 red or green bell peppers until broiler, turning until charred. Place peppers in plastic bag to cool. Remove skin and seeds. Dice.
Scald, peel, seed, and chop 4 large red tomatoes coarsely.
In medium mixing bowl, combine veggies with 1/3 cup parsley, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespooons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
Chill. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Mexican Salad
From a former coworker and friend (Chani) who doesn't like to measure: Sliced red and green peppers, add sliced mushrooms, zucchinis, and chick peas. Add sugar snap peas, and a can of baby corn. Add cherry tomatoes. Spice with salt, oil, vinegar, sugar, and oregano to taste.

Baby Corn Salad
Another recipe from Chani: Dice 4 cups celery, 2 green peppers, 1 red pepper, and a large red onion. Add 1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed olives. Mix 2 tsp. salt, 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon), 2 tablespoons vinegar (red wine if you have it), and 6 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro. Let set for three hours in fridge . Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Eggplant Fritters
Eggplant Fritters (from the internet Arc Max Chef
Peel and dice one large or two small eggplants. It will look like an awful lot of eggplant, but cooks up to less than half the original bulk so don’t be afraid of the large volume. Cool in boiling salted water until tender. Drain very well. Mash thoroughly. Add one slightly beaten egg, one small finely minced onion, ½ tsp. sage or poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in enough flour to make a fairly stiff mixture. Drop by teaspoons into a small amount of hot oil and brown evenly on both sides.

CARROT SLAW – can be used for Pesach, too
A great make ahead dish and stays fresh for at least a week in the fridge!
Shred 8 - 10 carrots, 1 green or red pepper if using, 1 onion, 1 apple. Boil up 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil & 1/2 tsp. salt. Pour over veggies. Chill. YUM!

Health Salad– can be used for Pesach, too
This is a great make ahead recipe. Shred a small head green cabbage, one carrot, a small onion, and green or red bell pepper if using. I slice in a cucumber. Heat 1/2 cup oil (I use much less), 3/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup lemon juice to rolling boil. Add 1 tsp. salt . Pour over veggies. Let stand in fridge. Is even good a week later!

Pupa Family Size Lukshen Kugel ("Kinnus Size")

I also made this for the sheva brachos that Simcha and I hosted (hostessed?) last year.

INGREDIENT ORIGINAL HALF ONE AND A HALF
Noodles 2 1/2 packages (11 oz ea), total of 27.5 oz. 14 oz 21 oz
Oil 1 cup 1/2 cup 3/4 cup
Eggs 12 6 9
Confect sugar 1 box (3 3/4 cups) 1/2 box or 1 3/4 cups 3/4 box or 2 cups
Sugar 1 cup 1/2 cup 3/4 box
Vanilla sugar 3 tsp 1 1/2 tsp 2 tsp
Baking powder 1 T 1/2 T 3/4 T
Salt 1 tsp 1/2 tsp 3/4 tsp
Lemon juice 1/2 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/3 tsp

Nuts 1 cup 1/2 cup 3/4 cup
Bread crumbs 1 cup 1/2 cup 3/4 cup
Sugar 1 1/2 cups 3/4 cup 1 cup
Cinnamon 2 T 1 T 5 tsp

For kugel, boil noodles and drain. Mix noodles with all the rest of the all kugel ingredients together in a big bowl. Pour original size recipe into 16 by 10 inch pan (or tons of smaller sized pans!)

For topping, combine and ingredients and mix. Sprinkle over kugel .

Bake at 350 until done. Original recipe makes 35 - 40 servings. Freezes great!

SQUASH KUGEL
2 boxes frozen winter squash (butternut)
1 stick melted margarine
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup pareve creamer or soymilk
½ tsp baking powder
1 small can crushed pineapple, squeeze out juice (I put it into the orange juice container)
Combine and bake at 350 for 35 degrees.

SQUASH KUGEL
from Susan G.

Benyamin really likes this kugel, and it’s the only kugel I think we all agree on, and it’s super fast & easy to make! Plus it’s healthy – it’s mostly vegetable rather than noodles.

Ingredients:

• 2 boxes frozen winter squash (butternut) – or equivalent amount of baked butternut squash
• 1 stick melted margarine
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1/4 cup pareve creamer or soymilk
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 small can crushed pineapple, squeeze out juice (I put it into an orange juice container rather than waste it.)

Directions:

• Combine all ingredients in bowl and bake in baking pan at 350 for 35 degrees. ENJOY!

Note: The recipe halves, doubles and triples easily. Freezes well.

FOOLPROOF AND DELICIOUS APPLE KUGEL
from Michal Rossman, tested and typed up by Sara G.

I think it's too sweet for a regular Friday night, but on yomtov when there's so many meals, a little change/something extra is nice. Can be used as dessert, too.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup oil
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 3 or 4 thinly sliced apples, any kind (food processor is helpful)

Variation: add one packet vanilla sugar (I add some liquor instead); add cinnamon and/or ginger to suit your taste, add any chopped nut

Directions:

• Combine all ingredients and bake in an 8 by 8 pan for an hour at 350. ENJOY!

Note: This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9 by 13 pan or tripled and baked in an 11 by 17 pan. Freezes well.

CARROT PUFF (KUGEL)
2 lbs. (bags) carrots, peeled & cut up
½ cup melted margarine
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

Cook carrots until tender; drain & mash. Add other ingredients and bake in 2 qt casserole dish for 30 minutes.

Health Salad
From a different Chani, also at OK Labs:
This is a great make ahead recipe. Shred a small head green cabbage, one carrot, a small onion, and green or red bell pepper. I slice in a cucumber. (A friend adds broccoli, too.) Heat 1/2 cup oil (I use much less), 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of mustard to rolling boil. Add 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. celery seed if you have it. Pour over veggies. Let stand in fridge. Is even good a week later!

Side Dish – you can use this instead of a kugel.
Classic Macaroni Salad
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard, any
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
8 oz box elbow noodles, cooked & drained
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped green or red pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion

In large bowl, stir together mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add macaroni, celery, chopped pepper, and chopped onion, toss to coat well. Cover and chill. Makes 5 cups

Mexican Rice
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin if you have it
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rice
1 tablespoon margarine or butter

Put everything in a glass container with the top on and nuke for 20 minutes and serve.

CARROT PUFF (KUGEL)
from Sara G.

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs. (bags) carrots, peeled (for best color) & cut up (for quicker cooking)
• 1/2 cup melted margarine
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 eggs

Directions:

• Cook carrots until tender; drain & mash (food processor or blender is MOST helpful).

• Add other ingredients and bake in 2 qt casserole dish for 30 minutes. ENJOY!

Note: This recipe halves, doubles and triples easily. Freezes well.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 11:34 am
I make this as a side dish a lot. It's pretty quick to prepare.

I cube potatoes and sweet potatoes. Put in a large bowl. Mix with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary.

Pour on foiled line cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for an hour.

smiley:)

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:02 am
only1-
do you have measurements for the spices and olive oil?

Any other ideas for side dishes. For some reason I am drawing totally blank as to what to make for shabbat side dishes this week.
Thanks

shininglight

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:14 am
Deli Roll
Apple Crisp
Sweet potato pie
zucchini kugel/muffins
scalloped potatoes
hamburger kugel
layered salad
broccoli quiche

... just a couple of suggestions.

I would love to hear more from others!

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:29 am
Can I trouble you for the recipes for scalloped potatoes and brocolli quiche (if it's parve)?
Does anyone have a recipe (parve) for mushroom quiche?

I could suggest stuffed zucchinis, stuffed potatoes

anuta

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 11:21 am
only1 wrote:
I make this as a side dish a lot. It's pretty quick to prepare.

I cube potatoes and sweet potatoes. Put in a large bowl. Mix with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary.

Pour on foiled line cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for an hour.

I do that too! But I vary the veggies, and use different spices from time to time. I always use kosher salt, it makes it taste gourmet. It comes out really good if you add mushrooms (cut in half or whole if they are small), and I made it once just with mushrooms and cauliflower florets, nothing else! Cauliflower made this way tastes great! I also use butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes when its in season (now).

happymom

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 11:31 am
greenbeans
brocolli with cheese
salad
brown rice with vegetables
farfel with fried onions
mashed potatoes

for shabbos:
sweet potatoes with fried onions
squash with honey and cinamom
small red potatoes roasted
vegetable kugel
pinneaple kugel
pesto salad
spinache noodle kugel

queen

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 12:03 pm
smiley:) wrote:
Can I trouble you for the recipes for scalloped potatoes

I make the one from Kosher by Design (first volume) and it's great. My husband's favorite dish

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 12:18 pm
Recipe for scalloped potatoes is in this thread:

http://www.hashkafah.com/index.....33250

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 12:48 pm
K I dont mean to sound stupid, but what is chicken stock?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 12:51 pm
You can use canned chicken broth, or water with chicken soup powder mixed in.

mumof1

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 1:16 pm
spinach rice in kbd is great and easy.
try cabbage and noodles an old time favorite, poatoe bourekas, meat knishes, franks in blankets, mashed sweet potatoe is good too

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 6:07 pm
THis is the recipe I use. But baby potatoes are expensive so sometimes I just cut up potatoes and sweet potatoes into cubes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/foo......html

I usually add dried rosemary, oregano and parsley. And a nice amount of salt and pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes