Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
MM Thread for Pregnant and Postpartum Moms
1  2  Next

good wifey

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:57 pm
For those who are/were pregnant and those who will be or were postpartum in the Purim season, can you
share your MM ideas??
Did you bake something easy? Got ready stuff? How did you or how are you going to present it?
Any smart (and cheap..) ideas for easy to put together MM's?
Doesn't have to be theme related! (No one-liners or poems necessary..)

Please give us your input, it will be a great help and very appreciated!
TIA

sped

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:08 pm
How about for exhausted mothers? Or exhausted not-mothers?

good wifey

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:14 pm
Should I edit the title??

elmos

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:22 pm
I was due last year b4 pessach gave birth not quite 2 weeks after purim I was going to do nosh stuff and the idea of going to the store was unappealing I was on limited mobility from the 8th month I love to bake so I made a batch of challah dough and made rolls and made small cakes my dh bought mini bottles of something schnap/grape juice some people got all3 others got a drink and one baked good but nothing wrong with prepackaged cookies and a drink of someform or even a chip or candy with it. You could also do a fruit and a small cookie or nosh

Brown

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:28 pm
A couple of my easy year ideas were - for mil glass vase with fake flowers, (not expensive ones) and layered in the vase bisli, bamba, chocolate. For Rabbis every year liquer or wine and a nice, unusual fruit like a pineapple (don't know if for US pineapple is special).
Easy 5 min cheese cakes in small round pans. Glued round mirrors to top of containers and wrote - say "cheese" and smile.
Or bags with wafers or cookies and a small grapejuice with one shekel chachkas for kids. One year it was (one shekel) toothbrushes. The kids were thrilled. Other than mil and rabbis/teachers I make max 15 mm.

MrsMortgage

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 7:44 pm
I'm due on Pesach. I joined my community wide MM. Added my name for 80 people @ apx $200. Easy, affordable, and the proceeds go to tzeddaka! Now all I have to do is give some nosh to 2 neighbors on Purim day.

good wifey

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 7:58 pm
MrsMortgage wrote:
I'm due on Pesach. I joined my community wide MM. Added my name for 80 people @ apx $200. Easy, affordable, and the proceeds go to tzeddaka! Now all I have to do is give some nosh to 2 neighbors on Purim day.

Wow, that is such a beautiful thing. I wish it would be more widespread..

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:01 pm
I am thinking of going to costco and buying dried fruit, nuts and similar type snacks and putting in a divided container. I will try to have it packed a couple weeks before Purim.

Other option is bake something in advance and freeze. I hate baking so I do not think I will do that.

Or just buy prepackaged food.
No one expects a fancy themed shamoach manos if you a 9 months or have a newborn.
I am not driving around this Purim other then who ever I see by Megiilah. So people will have to come to me.
In general I just make 12-15 and recycle the rest.

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:03 pm
Simplest- wine/grapejuice and a package of cookies/crackers.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:04 pm
There ARE people who do only two. It's not a novel idea...

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:26 pm
What if people come to your house? How about teachers? Kids friends? People who have helped you over the year and you want to show appreciation, or people who will not get otherwise?

Yups

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:50 pm
send them cards

good wifey

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:46 pm
Yups wrote:
send them cards

Can you please explain?

marina

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:58 pm
Can I post here even if I am not preggers or post partum but just weirded out by how crazy people make themselves to send an apple and a cookie to their neighbors?

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 11:05 pm
When I was due a week after purim, I bought ready made packages. I also kept my list to a minimum, these ready made MM are expensive enough.

This year I'll be about 2-3 weeks PP but I don't want to spend so much. I think that baking anything is the hardest. Better get ready made food and just wrap it nice. There's nothin like cellophane and ribbon.

Like u can do a black and white theme with black and white cookies, a black wine bottle, black and white candies in a clear box. I once got a very nice MM, a classy water bottle in a nice box with something else tucked inside, and a flower can't remember what. Wine with chocolates can be wrapped together without container, I'll probably do that this year.

Amital

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 11:26 pm
I'm due on Pesach.

I keep a running list of our MM past, so I know how many we need and to who we will be giving. It gives me a number to work with early on.

We like themes, so I already bought the containers and my little helpers are already working on decorating them, we have the candy, and the little accessories including tags. I will be baking cupcakes soon, frosting them according to the theme, freeze and we're done!

So for me, early planning is the key to both affordable (candy is coins, bought on sale affect Hanukkah, containers were bought from Oriental Trading on sale, etc...) and done early.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 12:24 am
2 years ago I was due one Purim. I ended up going 2 weeks over.

I made garlic roasted hummus and lavash crackers. I gave to whomever came to give us.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 12:28 am
If you are looking for a simple idea: Buy a big box of chocolate (could be the cheap ones like thin mints or something from Leibers) or a presidor or other rolled wafer, tape it to a small grape juice, wrap nicely in cellophane and tie with a ribbon and curl. Easy, cheap, and pretty.

Mazel tov and bishaa tova for those in that situation!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 12:28 am
curlyhead wrote:
What if people come to your house?

Well, if they can't see that I'm hugely pregnant or holding a baby the size of a chicken, they're idiots. Or, do like I did and simply give to whomever comes to give you.

curlyhead wrote:
How about teachers? People who have helped you over the year and you want to show appreciation, or people who will not get otherwise?

They get a nice card saying money was donated in their name for Matanot l'Evyonim.

curlyhead wrote:
Kids friends?

I told my girls (who were 16 and 17 at the time) they could make their own for their friends. Had they been younger, I would have bought prepackaged nosh and grape juice or cans of soda for them to make for their friends.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:48 am
2/3 purims I was 3 mo pg & JUST moved so I did stuff like getting disposable champagne glasses, filling it w/ tri colored jello & putting a candy straw in it.

I always wanted to go to a salvation army type of store & buy a bunch of records, put a grape juice, orange & hamentashen on it & a note saying I'm doing the "old fashion" thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics