Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Career options for my daughter

mamalooshin

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:32 pm
My 16 yr old daughter is extremely talented and creative. She is artistic and has a fantastic fashion sense. She is an average student academically but really shines in the arts. Our community is yeshivish, so a choice like FIT is kind of out of the picture; I don't think we would be comfortable with it anyhow. She has a year to go in HS and doesn't appear to have interest in seminary, and we are totally fine with that. We want her to be happy and successful in whatever she does. We have thought about some design path, but would welcome other alternatives. Any ideas?

sunspot

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:47 pm
What I would recommend is her taking a graphic design course--if you are located in Brooklyn then The Bold Edge offers a great program that will get her set up with knowing Illustrator Photoshop and Indesign well (there is also a homebased option). As a graphic and web designer I hear the students that went there really learnt in a professional manner but it is in a small heimish setting. She can work as a graphic designer which will really use her creativity. Additionally I think it will be worthwhile to network and find for her an oppourtunity to be an apprentice to a frum fashion designer and she can use her Illustrator and Photoshop skills to do sketches and renderings of clothing on the computer. You can PM me if you would like some additional ideas or more info --I guess designers just love getting more designers into the fold

Huvs

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:45 am
I have a very creative and talented sister who attended Stern College for an art degree because they have a joint program with FIT. She was able to take some of her classes in FIT with other frum girls from Stern this gave her the best of both worlds.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:42 am
I think web designer moms suggestions are perfect. I learned graphic design from maalot in yerushalayim following seminary, and it was an incredible experience- spiritually, socially and educationally. I think they have a maalot branch in Baltimore that also offers graphic design.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:57 am
A friend of mine almost went into art therapy.

She would need to take some undergraduate art classes and would have to work around nude art classes (its doable). Its a really interesting field, albeit not that well paid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children