Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Hot dogs in MM

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 2:42 pm
We once got these free soda cans, and I'm planning to use them in our shalach manos. I was thinking of making one of these fast food places meals: a hot dog in a bun, little packets of ketchup, french fries and a can of soda. Problem is, by the time I give out the shalach manos, the hot dogs and fries won't be hot anymore. Is that a problem? I assume people can always warm it up if they want to. What's your opinion?

canadamom

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 2:47 pm
I personally would not eat a hot dog if I got it in shalach manos. someone once sent me a fake fast food tray: a can of soda, a bag of french fry chips and a "burger" made out of what looked like 2 lighter cookies, with a dark cookie inside. it actually was very cute.

cassandra

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 2:55 pm
I have seen people give out hot food on the spot-- one friend does chulent and kugel--rather than delivering.

suomynona

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:07 pm
Who remembers hot dog gum?
That would've been perfect.

wwmom

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:18 pm
Instead of hot dogs (and fries) you can give out those frozen potato knishes. they come individually wrapped. (the round ones, I think smacki' good makes it), I once got a fast food themed MM and it came with it. You can put it in in the morn. and it will still be ok later.

peppermint

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:19 pm
Twice I got this type of shalach manos.

One time it had hot dog in a bun, pickle, fries and can of soda. Another time it had deli sandwich, potato chips, can of soda

I just put the food in microwave to warm it up

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:20 pm
peppermint wrote:
Twice I got this type of shalach manos.

One time it had hot dog in a bun, pickle, fries and can of soda. Another time it had deli sandwich, potato chips, can of soda

I just put the food in microwave to warm it up

Deli sandwich - that's the answer! That can be cold. And fries are no big deal to warm up. Thanks! Nice and easy - love it!

baskrox

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 3:38 pm
We gave MM in baseball caps once. We gave a hotdog in bun and bought hot dog wrappers from a local resteraunt to put them in. Many pple told us they enjoyed it. I've also gotten franks n blanks and for that matter many kugels and foods that have to be rewarmed...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 4:20 pm
If it's a cold year, fine. Otherwise ........

lollygirl

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 6:13 pm
I don't know...if people are getting it from your door then it's a good idea.
But my neighbor did something similar. She hand delivered her shaloch manos so I had franks in blanks sitting in front of my door for HOURS while I was delivering my own MM and when I came home I had to throw it out because who knows just how long it sat out.

good wifey

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 6:50 pm
I second the burger idea. Franks perish fast. Cold cuts last much longer.
Or you can do the burger look with cookies and chips instead of actually making fries.
Whatever you end up doing, good luck. And let us know how it worked out. I think it would be nice to get feedback from all the MM threads...

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:27 pm
We did a "take me out to the ballpark" theme one year. It was:

Popcorn
Beer or soda
Hot pretzels
Hot dogs for who ever came to the door. I had them in a pot of boiling water on the stove and just threw one in a bun and wrapped in foil before handing it to them. Many people appreciated being given "real" food while delivering shalach manos.

allergypro

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 9:31 am
I'm doing a takeout theme this year. Franks 'n blanks, ketchup and mustard, can of soda, and snack bag of fries.

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 10:36 am
I forgot we also did peanuts in the shell that year.

Liba

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 10:50 am
My uncle gives out a bag of chips, a deli sandwich and a pickle.

Where does one get free cans of soda? Very Happy

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 11:11 am
Liba wrote:
My uncle gives out a bag of chips, a deli sandwich and a pickle.

Where does one get free cans of soda? Very Happy

Rav Shefa had a mivtza a while back - if you spend a certain amount, you get free cans of soda. I've been saving them ever since for Purim.

torahtots

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 6:18 pm
I did this one year - chips, soda, a pickle and instead of a hot dog, a package of those little dried sausages. They're not refrigerated in the store so it's not a problem. You could include a bun too, although people generally don't eat those on a bun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics