Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Buying clothes for overweight children

malky800

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:23 pm
I have a 6 yr old girl who is a chubby, chunky kid. I'm having such a hard time find clothes for her to wear?
I end up buying a size bigger but then she looks like a shlump, with the sleeves rolled up, and the skirts long.
Any suggestions on non jewish stores that cater specifically to bigger girls, and even where I can find her a new shabbos outfit that'll fit her decently?

Liba

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:27 pm
I become good friends with a seamstress who does alterations. Skirts that fit and are hemmed to a normal length make my stalkier daughter look so much more put together and presentable.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:28 pm
Kohls carries sizes like 7x, 8x etc in girls sizes. I also find there "Jumping Beans" clothes to be fitted well. The pants hardly ever need to be hemmed and they have cute dressy outfits too.

Also dont share with your daughter that she might look shlumpy in her current clothes. IM sure she looks cute and beautiful in her rolled up sleeves and long skirts. The laws of fashion faux pas should not apply to 6 year olds.

malky800

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:34 pm
I'm already out of the jumping bean range. she's already more than a size 8 at least.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:37 pm
I have a SIL who has a larger then average daughter. And she has such a hard time buying her clothing.
She knows the styles that work well for her and just buys those.
She is planning this year on having some items that she really likes custom made just a size bigger.

She does well at Lands End every year for the summer. Their polo dresses fit nicely. Her daughter is 5 and still wearing short sleeves, but you could layer a shirt under.
She also finds some dresses at Gymboree that are cut well. Like have no waist.
For shabbos this past winter she found a sleevless tunic in size 12 that looked adorable as a dress on her dd. That is the type of thing she plans on copying by a seamstress.
In general she prefers dresses over a shirt and top because it looks more flattering.

[I keep telling her she should open a plus sized store for little girls because she has a great eye for what looks good and its so hard for her to find anything in any of the stores.]

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:40 pm
malky800 wrote:
I'm already out of the jumping bean range. she's already more than a size 8 at least.

I only have a (skinny) boy, but I was a chubby girl, so I googled for you. Lands End has plus-sized little girls clothing. HTH. Let me know how gorgeous your little princess looks in her new skirts or dresses.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:15 pm
Gymboree has husky sizes. DS is a bit chunky too. He's 4 but he's a size 6. The problem is the 6 is WAAAAAY too long on him and it looks ridiculous. So I bought one of the husky sizes and it fits him a little wierd, but maybe he's not husky enough. It's a bit baggy around the tush area, but it fits around his waist and the length is just right... It might be worth it to try there.

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:35 pm
I third Land's End. Their girls plus size runs very full. My dd isn't that chubby, but she has a nice size belly. I usually have to buy her bigger sizes in every brand, and most clothing clings to her stomach and doesn't fit right.

So I ordered Land's End plus for the first time last week and it came yesterday. I was so excited to have clothing that finally fit dd right and guess what, the plus size dresses were too big!! So I know they are very true to size, unlike most places I have tried.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding garments that fit beautifully there. And by the way, they have a 30% off sale and clearance items promotion that ends tonight. They are mostly sold out, but perhaps you can find a few items to get some use out of now, and then put away for the fall.

obagys

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 3:43 pm
I'm going to 4th (?) Lands End. I don't know about their plus size options, but their dresses are so generously cut that any kid looks beautiful in them while being completely tznius. I just bought a ton of dresses from them for my girls (ages 4, 8 and 9) at less than $10 a piece with free shipping - they have great promos and sales from time to time. Another wonderful thing about Lands End is that you can return the items that don't fit to Sears so you save on return shipping fees. Definitely give them a try.

As for Shabbos, I have had good luck with The Childrens Place skirts and dresses. You can get them on deep clearance at the end of the season or at the outlets. The skirts often have adjustable waists or are elastic so that they fit well. Kohls has plus size options (as someone already mentioned) but I've never bought anything from there that is plus-size to know how they run. Burlington Coat Factory carries Bonnie Jean dresses and Rare Edition dresses at extremely reasonable prices and flattering styles- you should check there too if it's nearby.

paprika

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 4:02 pm
If your interested in a Yiddish store, Whoopi has bigger cuts than most. They are pretty pricey, but for my heavier kid, I do spend more than the rest of my kids. Besides, the seamstress also costs, and by Whoopi you don't need that.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 4:16 pm
Zara has really pretty clothes for girls, but I find that they run very big. That might work for your daughter.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 10:00 am
I just did an order for my SIL from Old Navy and we found some cut things. They have plus size clothing but we ordered some regular items as well.
She is almost 5 and my SIL mostly bought her L or XL (size 10 - 12)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children