Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Homemade Costumes for baby/toddler - no sew

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 7:55 am
I hate spending all that money on costumes for my kids, especially my baby who won't care anyway. When they're older, you can make them costumes from around the house. But what can you do for a 1 or 3 year old? I want my 3 year old to understand that he's wearing a costume and to like what he's dressed as. I want my 1 year old to look cute. Any ideas? (One year old is wearing 24 month sizes, so no pajamas that look like doggies available.)

maidale

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:08 am
My older girls (6and 8) want to dress up as nurses, so it's pretty easy for the baby who is 16 mths.
I got her white leggings and a white t-shirt which she'll be wearing in the summer anyway, I'm printing out some red crosses on sticker paper and sticking it on, and I'll make her a "headpiece" from an A4 paper and stick on another red cross. Voila! She's comfortable and hopefully cute.

Doris

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 12:36 pm
Any ideas for an 8 month old boy?

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 12:41 pm
One year I dressed my kids up as Mitzvah Kinder characters Yossi and Yanky (they were obsessed with them at that point and their names are Yossi and Yanky).

I took a Blue top and put on felt yellow stripes and one red one, blue pants, kippa with their name on it (which they used after) and hung the actual "mentchie" on a string around their neck so that people will recognize the character.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 1:24 pm
4 month girl, ideas?

Frankly I'd just dress her up in a regular shabbosdik outfit lekovod yomtov, until she's old enough to know the difference, but we always have a big family shebang and everyone will tease me for being a party pooper Tongue Out

mommy100

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:11 pm
I once saw a girl wearing a yellow stretchie and her mother used black tape to make line s on it to make it into a bummble bee

cc

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:18 pm
Dress a boy as a girl and a girl as a boy.
Little girls can be a princess wearing a nice dress.

May

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 5:05 pm
cc wrote:
Little girls can be a princess wearing a nice dress.

Just FYI, I did this one year, and later was told by my Rav that it is actually assur. You can't dress a boy in Beged Isha, and vise versa. Ask a shaila before doing this.

1Life2Live

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 6:57 am
cc wrote:

I don't like when people do this. It's only funny if you know the kid and many times I feel like an idiot because I really think the boy is a girl and vice versa. I just don't think it's all that funny.

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 7:10 am
There are many no sew costumes you can make for a baby. First thing is, do you have any solid colores footed PJs or stretchies. Depending on the color you have, it could be very simple to turn it into a bumble bee (yellow - add black lines and a black headband with heavy wire and black pom pom on top for antenas), butterly (pretty purple or pink - make wings from matching felt made stiffer with interfacing to hold its shape, or poster board and a matching headband with matching pompoms like by the bamble bee) I can probably go on all day with ideas, in fact if I have the time, maybe I'll come up with and write up a bunch of easy costume ideas on my blog this week.

cc

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:13 am
What age did your rav say beged isha applies to? I cant imagine it applies to babies. Most frum baby girls wear pants all the time.

ROFL

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:41 am
I always made my babies into bunny rabbits. White strechie and a white hat with. Pink styrofoam ears stapled onto hat. I made the ears from pink egg carton. If you want you can make a cotton ball tail and staple onto tushi area.

May

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 7:15 am
cc wrote:
What age did your rav say beged isha applies to? I cant imagine it applies to babies. Most frum baby girls wear pants all the time.

It applies from one day of age - the issur is not on the child (they are not chayuv for aveiros) it's on the parent for dressing them like that. Girls pants are not beged ish, they are made for girls, the reason older girls don't wear pants is for tzniyus issues, not beged ish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics