Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Rabbi's declare a fast day

lucy

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 7:58 pm
A friend of mine told me about this :

ARUTZ-7
8:38:PM Sunday, Mar 06, 2005

Two of Israel’s leading rabbis, Rabbi Avraham Shapira and Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu have declared a public fast to be held on the 6th of the second month of Adar (March 17, 2005). The day is to be devoted to fasting and prayer in order to overturn the government’s decision to expel Jews from their homes in Gaza and Northern Samaria and turn the territories over to enemies of Israel.

The fast will begin at sunrise and end at sundown. During the fast, an assembly will be held in the Gaza town of Neveh Dekalim in Gush Katif that will be attended by the two former Chief Rabbis, Shapira and Eliyahu.

basmalkah

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:06 pm
Yes, I saw that letter! Thanks Lucy for sharing with us all!
This is very scary and sad!
Let us hope that Hashem sends us speedy salvation. Smile

curlyhead

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:10 pm
I was told that it is a half day fast

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 7:30 pm
sorry for ignorance, but I never heard of these rabeim before.

who are they?

gryp

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 5:51 am
http://www.chabadnik.com/eng/I.....10172
I also thought it was half day fast.

1stimer

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 6:03 am
I think rabbi eliyahu is the chief rabbi

Yael

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 1:31 pm
you know when I read this I was reminded of how in history there were times that the jews were going to be expelled from their homes, whether it was in spain or in the times of the romans, and the rabbis would declare a fast day to change this decree.
somehow though there's got to be a difference here. after all its jews who are doing the expelling, and according to some jewish opinions its the right thing to do, in this case.

Motek

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 4:32 pm
Yael wrote:
somehow though there's got to be a difference here. after all its jews who are doing the expelling

big difference! makes it infinitely worse Sad

Quote:
and according to some jewish opinions its the right thing to do, in this case.

because they have political reasons for saying so

those who focus EXCLUSIVELY on the pikuach nefesh issue, ALL AGREE that expelling these Jews will INCREASE the danger to millions of Jews

the rabbonim in Crown Heights said it is just for males over bar mitzva

seems different rabbis said different things regarding full day/half day

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:03 am
nobody really knows whether it will make the situation better or worse.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 1:53 pm
of course they do

all members of the security forces, who are the professionals trained to make these assessments, have declared unequivocally that giving away land will ENDANGER the Jews of the ENTIRE COUNTRY

Sharon himself said so, and at no point has he said that this Disengagement plan will improve security because he knows it won't.

supermom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:31 pm
of course a lot of jews think it is the right thing to do because it is not their
HOMES that they are being taken out of!!!

if it is pekuach nefesh that they are being taken out well don't alot of people claim that the whole israel is pekuach nefesh to live in? so why not expell the jews from israel?

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 9:10 am
supermom, looks like you didn't read my post:

Quote:
all members of the security forces, who are the professionals trained to make these assessments, have declared unequivocally that giving away land will ENDANGER the Jews of the ENTIRE COUNTRY

Sharon himself said so, and at no point has he said that this Disengagement plan will improve security because he knows it won't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics