Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Help me with wording for thank you cards!!!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 2:19 pm
so I got a bunch of gifts and arrangements for a recent simcha. can anyone give me ideas of how to write simple, nice short thank you cards? especially if I remember that so-and-so gave me SOMETHING but can't remember if it was a tray of chocolates, shnaps, or a gift...so how can I write the card without referring to the specific item?

so far:

Dear mr. and mrs. so and so

Thank you so much for your gift/tray of chocolates/cake. It truly enhanced our simcha. May we continues to share in many joyous occasions together.

sincerely,
us

also, do I send thank you cards for every little tray of chocolates and candy that I received or just the gifts/major shnaps...

any help appreciated!!!

Insomniac

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 2:29 pm
Do people still write thank you letters?! In our neighborhood after a simcha we call the person and tell them thank you and how delicious it was and how you so appreciated it....I guess you can write that on the card too.
Or you can call the people who sent you food and make a thank you card for those that gave you a gift?

Either way, sounds like a mazel tov is in store...so mazel tov!!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:01 pm
dear so and so,

thank you so much for your beautiful gift. we really enjoy it. it was lovely to see you at the simcha/we missed you at the simcha.

may we share many more simchos together!

affectionately/sincerely,
us

if you can remember the gift, say something specific about it:

thank you so much for the elephant-shaped umbrella stand. it graces our hallway as we speak. all our visitors comment on it, and it cheers us up on rainy days. feel free to stop by on a rainy day so you can use the elephant.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 5:28 pm
Insomniac wrote:
Do people still write thank you letters?! In our neighborhood after a simcha we call the person and tell them thank you and how delicious it was and how you so appreciated it....I guess you can write that on the card too.
Or you can call the people who sent you food and make a thank you card for those that gave you a gift?

Either way, sounds like a mazel tov is in store...so mazel tov!!

still write thank you letters?!

Um, yeh. It's proper etiquette and that is what I always do--even if it's just for someone being a big help at a simcha--for example, we made a (very small--like 18 people--all close relatives) upsherin party for my son. The night before when we went to put things in the shul we used (our little shteeble we were able to use for free, actually...) somebody helped us move around tables and clean up the room. That person got a hand-written thank you note from me. Not a phone call and not a text message.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 11:46 am
I also agree in sending thank you cards. The way I see it, the person/people took the time to go and pick out a gift for you, then you should take the time to sit down and send them a card. The wording is not as important as the fact that they receive your card and know that you remembered!
I would also write as follows:
Dear
I/we want to thank you most sincerely for joining us in our simcha and for your very thoughtful/generous gift. We will think of you whenever we use it.
Looking forward to sharing many simchos with you in the years ahead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette