Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Venice - Italy ; Need Kosher Hotel/Restuarant
1  2  Next

MommyL

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 1:59 am
Can anyone help me with some info,

I know that there should be a kosher hotel and 2 kosher restuarants in Venice

Thanks in advance

rovacat

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 2:12 am
contact chabad there. they are great. they have their own restaurant and I think there might even be a hotel in the jewish quarter. have fun! venice is my favorite city.

MommyL

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 2:42 am
Thanks I checked out their website.

I am also thinking of visiting Rome or any other interested cities.. do you have any info. Are there kosher restuarants there? Also what other cities would it be nice to visit?

Grandmama

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 2:52 am
I was thinking of going on one of those organized kosher tours to Italy. However I was told by someone that even the most luxurious hotels have no air conditioning. Is this true? Has anyone ever been on one of these tours, or does anyone know this to be true? Thanks.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 6:13 am
MommyL - Rome is beautiful! There are plenty of kosher restaurants - a large variety and there is at least 1 kosher bed and breakfast - maybe there's a second one as well. I stayed in one and it was amazing - clean, modern - and the owners were amazing and so helpful. It includes breakfast and you can have them order in Shabbat meals for you as well.

http://www.thehomeinrome.it/

Pisa is a nice day trip and Florence is nice too - there's a kosher shop/cafe there. Across the street is a beautiful shul. If you have any questions or want some more info - feel free to PM me.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 6:17 am
We stayed here in Venice for a few nights and over Shabbos:
http://www.villarosahotel.com/eng/hotel.html

It is extremely close to the Jewish Ghetto so you're right near the restaurant and kosher shop for food.

Karnash

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 7:23 am
Many hotels do not have air-conditioning, and Italy can be sweltering in the summer.

gottago

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 5:58 pm
http://www.romeforjews.com/

superdupermom

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 8:26 pm
In Venice there is one kosher restaurant "Gam Gam". There is a nice quaint hotel in the ghetto "La Carno De Ghetto" or something like it. Very clean and air conditioned-at least it was 7years ago.

happymami

Post Sun, Mar 06 2011, 9:08 pm
Im from Italy feel free to pm me, what type of touring do you like? nature,shopping,art,historic places,there is sooooo much to see!! venice and rome are standard...where are you landing , in milan? there are many cities in the north worth to see..kosher food wise pretty much only milan,venice,rome,florence have (or one,two more places maybe)
ENjoy and send regards to italy from me I miss it so much!

Grandmama

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 12:35 am
I have never been to Italy except for a short stopover as a young child.
I do not speak the language, and would not know my way around.
On these kosher tours, the whole trip is planned for you, including food and hotels.
I am just wondering if its possible to see Italy without a tour, or is it better to go on the tour and take advantage of the experience they have.
I do not want to go to a hotel without air conditioning.
Does anyone know if the food is good in the kosher hotels/restaurants?
Has anyone been on any organized tour they could recommend?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 4:40 pm
A/C--ha, the biggest myth in Europe. Most 4-5 star hotels do have air-conditioning. You can always check with the hotel. Most B&B do not have A/C though if you're planning to stay at kosher pensiones or B&Bs. That's true for most European countries.

Grandmama, Italy is a major international tourist destination. Tourist attractions and maps are available in English. Transportations have English signs and hotel staff speaks English. I never had difficulty finding someone local to show me the way. I don't think language is such a big barrier that prevents you from going solo. My reservation against organised tour is they tend to be rushed and you won't have much time to wander on your own which is the beauty of visiting Italian cities. Kosher restaurants in Milan and Rome are superb. Don't forget pasta with botargue or fried artichokes. I packed nice wine, cold cuts and cheese at kosher shops (ok admittedly I tend to go to Milan).

Venice--the other restaurant unfortunately is no longer kosher, so GamGam or self-catering is the only choice. I ate at Gam Gam during the week, quite decent but nothing particularly Venetian which is a shame. I'm hearing shabbat meals are very crowded, of mixed service though never stayed there over shabbat so can't tell myself. Venice is a smallish city meant for walking around.
Also a very important question for OP, when are you planning to visit? Summer tends to be hot, a bit stinky and VERY crowded. Carnival season also gets crazy and hotel prices go up steep.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:43 am
Balthazar is not kosher anymore?? what happened?

As for restaurants in Milan and Rome, I say you really have to know where to go and what you want!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:26 pm
Yup, Balthazar is still there but no longer kosher (or not under kashrut supervision, which is pretty much the same thing). I heard the family running it sold the business. Really a shame. I ate there only once but it was such a gem.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:37 pm
I'm so disgusted ! lol
Do you know if they lost their teuda because they don't pay or whatever, or because they're treif? So so so sad.

chanahlady

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:28 pm
Just a vote here for Yotvata, dairy restaurant in Rome. The food was absolutely amazing, and the price was good, too.

Gam Gam I hear is super crowded for Shabbat in summer. It was fairly crowded when we went in January -- and it was cold! There's also a kosher bakery in Venice, and we did pass a dairy Gam Gam a few doors up that was always closed, sadly. Maybe it's open in the summer.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 9:00 am
One of the kosher bakeries/eateries in Venice is open and sells on shabbes, while being kosher by ingredient, ask a shaila and pay attention to that!

Grandmama

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:01 am
Thank you all!
So I chose to take the heavily advertised tour, and deeply regret it. I am still having nightmares about the awful tour operator. It was disastrous. Nothing was as advertised.

However Italy was lovely.
The hotels were all airconditioned, although the beds were not as comfortable as I would have liked. They were clean though, so I was satisfied.
Gam Gam was delicious, both on Shabbos and during the week. Their dairy place had pizza and chalav Yisrael ice cream from Belgium, a real treat.

Where there was no chalav yisrael, we had soymilk and managed fine.
I wish I would have gone alone, and had more time to wander and shop and see Italy in a way that is more interesting to me. That means that I may have to go back someday. Now that I know my way around, I am less hesitant.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:47 am
Did you meet my son in Venice? He is helping the shliach there, this past week.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:50 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Did you meet my son in Venice? He is helping the shliach there, this past week.

I was there in July. The Chabad Rabbi and Rebetzin and everyone around them were amazing. Not sure who your son is, but I hope he is enjoying himself. There were a few hundred people there that Shabbos. It was awesome.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics