Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 yr old has fever for 10 days and counting!! Any ideas?

YoMom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:55 am
My 2 year old has had fever ranging from 100-103 running straight for 10 days. We've been to the Dr. three times, it was supposedly viral, but yesterday they did some bloodwork. The results won't be back for a few days and I am desperately searching for some answers. Has anyone had this experience? I am getting really nervous (also getting perilously close to getting fired!). Please help!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:05 am
my son had fever for 5 weeks when he was one years old. they did bloodwork, I had to go to doctor daily for temp readings. eventually he was admitted to hospital. they did more bloodwork, cat scan, and everything came back normal b'h. day after he was admitted to hospital his fever broke even though hospital didn't do a/t to treat it. the doctor's called it a fever of unknown origin. now im not supposed to take his temp unless he's acting sick b/c doctor's said he must have a higher baseline body temp then most kids. hope ur son has a refuah shelima!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:42 am
YoMom wrote:
My 2 year old has had fever ranging from 100-103 running straight for 10 days. We've been to the Dr. three times, it was supposedly viral, but yesterday they did some bloodwork. The results won't be back for a few days and I am desperately searching for some answers. Has anyone had this experience? I am getting really nervous (also getting perilously close to getting fired!). Please help!!
Ask the doctor to prescribe antibiotic. The way doc's used to automatically use antibiotic, so it got overused, which wasn't good, now they are the other way, and are cautious, sometimes waiting several days to see if it's viral, but ten days is way too much!

I've had several experiences of waiting out what was considered viral, child not getting better, finally doctor agrees to put on antibiotic, and child gets better right away!

it's nervewracking, and I always felt it wasn't fair for the kid to suffer, when in the end it went to antibiotics anyway!

More recently our pediatrician was more middle of the road, not rush to prescribe, but if no improvement in reasonable time, agree to prescribe. and sometimes will give me the prescription, saying don't use it if you don't have to, but if necessary fill it.

YoMom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:50 am
He actually was put on antibiotics initially, which was when we discovered he is allergic to Kaflex (sp?)! So aside from the fever and cold/cough/congestion, he has a rash all over his body - it's been a wonderful week!! Maybe it's time to try some other medication, though....I'll ask....thanks.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:54 am
Sure, my gs was just on keflex (cephalexin) for strep throat and not getting better, now they switched him to Augmentin, and his fever went down immediately. Some medications are tailored for specific bacteria, and don't control others well.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 8:08 am
You should be able to get the blood count results pretty much right away. That should show if there's a bacterial infection somewhere, even if you're not sure where. If not, it's possible it's mono or CMV, which can cause prolonged fever, but B"H kids bounce back from it much quicker than adults.
It's also possible that one virus led to a secondary virus/infection, which would make him sick for longer.

Refu'ah sheleima!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 12:00 am
secondary infections are usually bacterial. for example child has a cold - viral, then develops an ear infection. Or chest cold develops into bronchitis.

drumjj

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 11:35 am
my daughter had it a few months ago for over ten days, it just knocked her out and after prescribing antibiotics and her not taking them eventually we left it the dr said its prob a bad case of the flu virus and she got better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics