Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cholent question
1  2  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:03 pm
I'm making cholent in a pot. No matter what I do with the liquid or the recipe the bottom always burns and sticks to the put. A lot of good cholent is wasted that way and its annoying. Any ideas on how to fix/prevent this? TIA.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:12 pm
Keep a kettle of water near the pot. Add boiling water as necessary on Shabbos.
This is what I do when I have to make cholent on a blech.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:15 pm
There is always enough water. Sometimes too much but the bottom still manages to burn!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:23 pm
It sounds like it needs to be mixed. You can't do it while the chulent is on the heating element. Have someone pick it up with a towel and the other person should mix it every few hours except overnight.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:29 pm
It's either what Fabulous said, or the crock pot might not be distributing the heat evenly (assuming you're using a crock pot).

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 11:32 pm
I'm using a regular pot and making it on the stove top on friday.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 12:12 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
I'm using a regular pot and making it on the stove top on friday.

It might be worth it to buy a crockpot. It costs between 20 and 30 dollars and I find that it makes a delicious cholent.

Bliss

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 12:14 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
I'm making cholent in a pot. No matter what I do with the liquid or the recipe the bottom always burns and sticks to the put. A lot of good cholent is wasted that way and its annoying. Any ideas on how to fix/prevent this? TIA.

Same problem, week in week out.

yummydd

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 1:51 am
Another vote for a crock pot, the cholent comes out great in it.

sped

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 3:03 am
Fabulous wrote:
It sounds like it needs to be mixed. You can't do it while the chulent is on the heating element. Have someone pick it up with a towel and the other person should mix it every few hours except overnight.

IIRC (and I am not sure), this can be a problem of bishul if the cholent is not completely cooked, as much as is possible. I think I saw that in Shemiras Shabbos

rse

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 8:39 am
I make it in a pot when I used a not good quality pot I also found it stuck to the bottom but now that I use something a little better I dont have that problem anymore

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 10:16 am
sopunds like the heat is too high. either use a taller pot or put something between the pot and the heat source. like a muffin tin.

paprika

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 10:24 am
Fabulous wrote:

As far as I know, mixing food, even when cooked is assur. Ask your rav.

Perhaps your cholent has a lot of barley. Barley tends to stick to the bottom.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 12:42 pm
Ok, I'm trying again today. I will mamesh be mashgiach it and constantly mix it. I also put extra barley so if some burns there will still be a lot left. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Shmerling

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 12:51 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Ok, I'm trying again today. I will mamesh be mashgiach it and constantly mix it. I also put extra barley so if some burns there will still be a lot left. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

I was just going to ask whether you put in barley. Barley for sure makes it stick and burn more! My MIL davka does not use barley because of that.
But as others said, using a crock pot makes a big difference.

paprika

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 1:05 pm
paprika wrote:
Fabulous wrote:

As far as I know, mixing food, even when cooked is assur. Ask your rav.

Perhaps your cholent has a lot of barley. Barley tends to stick to the bottom.

OP, your making me wonder why I bother posting. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Did you read my post which is right above yours? And if your not interested in answers, why are you asking???

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 1:05 pm
But many crock pots have an automatic turn off feature, though. You have to make sure not to get that, if it's for Shabbos.

shnitzel

Post Fri, Mar 11 2011, 1:21 pm
You probably need a pot with a heavier bottom which is probably more expensive than just buying a crockpot. I would ask a rav about mixing it on Shabbos. It isn't that simple.

ESB

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 10:35 pm
For me the trick is to add some oil. It keeps it moist.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:24 am
Paprika, you were right regarding the barley. I finally convinced my husband to put less (not more). I also stayed with it the whole time, mixing it literally every 20-30 minutes and it came out better. My husband doesn't like it in the crockpot for some reason, although maybe if we tried a different crockpot. Thanks again for all the advice. It seems to have worked!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics