Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher Fish

Happy18

Post Sun, Mar 13 2011, 1:34 pm
If you dont have access to a kosher grocery store that carries fish what do you do?
I'm about to ask my LOR the halacha but I'm curious about what other people do.

Thanks!!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 13 2011, 1:43 pm
I bh live in an area with lots of fish stores but can you buy fish that you know is kosher I.e. salmon, tilapia etc.. and bring your own knife and cutting board?

Smiling Wife

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:25 pm
Same here, not much hechshered fish available, frozen tillapia that is it. I bring my own knife, I ask the guy to put a paper on the cutting board or wash the cutting board before cleaning my fish.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:34 pm
you can buy any orange fleshed fish with or without a hechsher. there are no non kosher orange fleshed fish.
as far as other fish go, you can buy any fish with skin as long as you know what kosher fish skin and scales look like. if you educate yourself, you can buy anything you know is kosher by looking at the skin. white fish MUST have skin if you want to buy it, because there are non kosher fish that have white flesh.

re the knife- it is cold, so you dont need your own knife or cutting board. if you did, and kashrut was an issue, you would treif your own equipment. it is COLD. some people scrape or wash cut surfaces that were cut with an unkosher knife, but just fyi, many fish come in kosher, and your fish monger will likely be happy to show you.

I buy salmon with a hechsher because I am under hashgacha, or I have to buy a whole fish (which I do regularly) but at home, I will go, buy a piece of fresh fish and deal with it.

of course you should always speak to your lor about your community's standard, but in my community, I buy most of my fish in the vietnamese fish market on cannon street, in hamilton, ontario!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:38 pm
http://www.oukosher.org/index......mon1/

Happy18

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 7:01 am
Thank you!!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 7:27 am
I never saw a kosher fish store. People just buy kosher fish at a random store.

jkw

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 8:46 am
anayone know if Kirkland/Costco brand frozen salmon filets with skin is Kosher l' Pesach? TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen