Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Purim issue - I want my money back!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 3:18 pm
The blimele serial ended this week and it had me in tears.

nechami1

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 3:41 pm
I really di not like the Amitz story. I feel it was bashing people who (gulp) work- like my husband does. And Ive heard it all before.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 4:24 pm
nechami1 wrote:
I really di not like the Amitz story. I feel it was bashing people who (gulp) work- like my husband does. And Ive heard it all before.

Thanks for jogging my memory.
Mishpacha is in English, and is sold in the US, but some things just don't translate.

momofmultiples

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 7:54 pm
what do you write?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 9:39 pm
which is why stories like thos edont belong in the american english mishpacha.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 9:41 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

There are other things that need American translating too. But that's ok, I guess it makes me more cosmopolitan Very Happy

anon for this

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And does Binah Bunch have a never ending story? Would that be the Gasoline Alley of BB serials?

don't know about that...but I for sure don't want to read the Funky Winkerbean of Jewish women's serials.

das

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:07 pm
Okay. Mishpacha post Purim issue-I want my money back!

Just read ff. Almost cover to cover Pesach cleaning. Yawn. Its bad enough that I have to clean without reading an issue with articles containing advice such as "the bathroom doesn't need much cleaning, go through medicine cabinet and remove..."I would never have thought of that. Yawn again.

And I'm usually a fan. Or at least I used to be. Was even published by them a couple of times.

runninglate

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:22 pm
mummy1985 wrote:
so talking about the Binah last week was anyone one else really disappointed with what was supposed to be a literary genius of all those amazing writers.. or maybe I missed the plot and it was just some sort of purim joke?
no, I felt the same way. I kept reading and waiting for something funny or interesting and there was nothing whatsoever. Very lame.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:19 am
Das... .I dont take anything an Ami employee/writer writes about Mishpacha seriously Very Happy.

how do you already have a post purim issue, it's only tuesday night?

and why YAWN? this is the season of pre pesach isnt it???

I still love mishpacha the most of any of the weeklies out there.

suomynona

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 2:47 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Except that they had a few similar articles recently which were NOT translated from hebrew.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 8:09 am
anon for this wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
And does Binah Bunch have a never ending story? Would that be the Gasoline Alley of BB serials?

don't know about that...but I for sure don't want to read the Funky Winkerbean of Jewish women's serials.

Rolling Laughter

Tip to aspiring cooking writers: if anyone ever gushes that your the Andi Fox of cooks, not a good thing.

das

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 3:58 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Das... .I dont take anything an Ami employee/writer writes about Mishpacha seriously Very Happy.

Hey, I do read and like them both! And I've written for both-although Ami (actually not Ami, Aim)more recently. I get my Mishpacha Tuesday night-its available at my grocery and its my Tuesday night treat. I usually like it that's why I'm dissappointed.
I think its bad enough that I have to clean without reading a whole magazine about it. And if I do read about it I want USEFUL ADVICE-not things anyone could think of. Anything you found interesting there, MB?

anon for this

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 4:56 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
anon for this wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Rolling Laughter

Tip to aspiring cooking writers: if anyone ever gushes that your the Andi Fox of cooks, not a good thing.

embarrassed I don't know who that is and can't figure it out by googling...

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 6:11 pm
I get my mishpacha thursday morning so I'll let ya know tomorrow iyh...

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 6:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Das you work for AMI? What do you do?

MB a lot of stores sell Mishpacha these days Tuesday afternoon/night. I bought mine last night.

I used to enjoy Mishpacha a lot but lately the regular Mishpacha has been translated stuff which I read in the Hebrew edition a few weeks back and very uninteresting to me. FF has some great stuff (I love both serials and I like Miriam Affalo a lot) The fiction and features have ups and downs like any other publication but all in all I enjoy it.

I never liked spoof issues of any publication but that's just me I can see why ppl would enjoy it. This weeks issue was typical but I'll give you a very good reason why many publications are weak between Purim and Pesach: they save the best stuff for Pesach and I'm sure all publications will do an awesome job this Pesach and give us so many fantastic articles to read.

Speaking of which-- Pesach is Monday night-- Binah is not printing an edition that Monday only the Monday before. Hamodia and Mishpacha and AMI are coming out Wed. Is a/one doing another edition before Pesach or will I be finishing all my material on Shabbos Hagadol Smile

Tova

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 8:11 pm
ILL - do what I will likely do. Give it to your husband to hide and only open the plastics right before you bentch licht on Yom Tov.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 9:54 pm
anon for this wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
anon for this wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Rolling Laughter

embarrassed I don't know who that is and can't figure it out by googling...

Andi (Andie?) Fox is the mother in the Foxtrot comic strip. She's a...healthy cook.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 10:05 pm
ILL, no way will you read it all on shabbos hagadol. these mags are MASSIVE for pesach, there's so much to read. In my case I'm SO BEHIND with my reading that I'll probably be busy reading all the kolmuses and Inyans from the past six month when I'm done with the pesac mags. plus I'll be so tired on shabbos hagadol I'll sleep as much as I can!!!

das

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 10:33 pm
ILL, I often write stories for Aim(under a pen name), which in my very biased opinion has great reading stuff in it.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room