Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
All my money

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:52 pm
Dissappear during tax season! It's insane.

Any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Besides for earning less money

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dissappear during tax season! It's insane.

Any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Besides for earning less money

Earn more money Very Happy

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:57 pm
I don't get your statement. If you earn less, you get taxed less but it is still only a percentage of your income.
Are you not withholding the right amount so you owe a lot of taxes come April?

amother
Dill

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:38 pm
I found that I was owing money because about a third of my pay is 1099 .I now have my job take an extra $600 a month off foe taxes (I know it's a lot!!! We aren't even high income) and now I actually got a rebate about $2000! So yeah, if you find they aren't taking enough taxes off, you gotta read your w4 or speak to an accountant.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:42 pm
Every time you get paid save 25% (or whatever your bracket is) for taxes.
This way there’s no surprises and you’re properly prepared.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:43 pm
It’s not taking off enough from 1099 that throws us off. We make the full cheshbon now. It’s hard month to month. Also the accountant is $$$$ plus it’s Pesach season. I feel poor even though on paper we make a lot.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:47 pm
amother Viola wrote:
It’s not taking off enough from 1099 that throws us off. We make the full cheshbon now. It’s hard month to month. Also the accountant is $$$$ plus it’s Pesach season. I feel poor even though on paper we make a lot.

Yup the accountant gets all of our tax refund and more basically. I mean the amount we are charged is usually more than what our refund is. Sigh…

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:50 am
We don't withhold much during the year because we own our business. At the end of the year all the money that stayed in the account goes towards our taxes.

We are doing quarterly going forward but the number each quarter is astronomical. I just wanna cry

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:58 am
amother OP wrote:
We don't withhold much during the year because we own our business. At the end of the year all the money that stayed in the account goes towards our taxes.

We are doing quarterly going forward but the number each quarter is astronomical. I just wanna cry

Accountant here.

1. Get a very good accountant who can help with tax planning, maximizing tax deductions and credits, etc. Not all accountants are created equal, and sometimes it's worth paying a good accountant more $ because you will end up paying the IRS a lot less $$.

2. Thank Hashem that your business is earning enough money that you owe astronomical amounts of taxes. I had a client who earned $5 million last year call me up screaming that he refused to pay the $500K tax that was due. That's 10 percent. Yes it's a big number but he earned way, way more than that. It was so unpleasant and off-putting.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:06 am
You need to sit down with a good accountant and tax plan. If you own your business do you have an s corp? Employees?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:09 am
If anyone can name an actual good accountant that helps with this, it would be very helpful...

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:12 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
You need to sit down with a good accountant and tax plan. If you own your business do you have an s corp? Employees?

We have an llc
We don't earn close to a million. The business nets at around 200-250k.

It's so so frustrating

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:14 am
Then why are you paying so much? Also do you make sure to check off all the proper deductions? You should have some sort idea of a how much money to put away for taxes every month. It shouldn’t be a surprise and you shouldn’t be draining your only money. I’d get a new accountant who can guide you better.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:17 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Then why are you paying so much? Also do you make sure to check off all the proper deductions? You should have some sort idea of a how much money to put away for taxes every month. It shouldn’t be a surprise and you shouldn’t be draining your only money. I’d get a new accountant who can guide you better.

We did go through all of our deductions. We might be getting back up to 5k, but I think that'll go towards the next quarter.

Last year we paid half of what we paid this year. I'm not sure why

theoneandonly

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 8:51 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
If anyone can name an actual good accountant that helps with this, it would be very helpful...

Imamother is not the place to get accountant recommendations. You need someone with experience doing business returns, not some little guy preparing every Joe shmoe's tax return in his basement. It also depends on your industry, your location, etc. Speak to other business owner colleagues to see who they use, set up initial consultations with accountants, and go from there.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 8:53 am
amother OP wrote:
We did go through all of our deductions. We might be getting back up to 5k, but I think that'll go towards the next quarter.

Your accountant should be able to explain why. It might be due to more income and a higher tax rate, different types of income with different tax rates, fewer expenses/deductions, less depreciation expense this year because you took bonus depreciation last year, estimated tax penalties for not paying in quarterly, etc

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 8:54 am
amother OP wrote:

Taxes were raised this year. We all had it go up. Last year I got a refund this year I had to pay more than what was withheld. Same income.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 9:02 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:

Elliot Pepper was recently interviewed on Kosher Money and made a fantastic impression. We are going to be using him going forward.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 9:12 am
I officially use a good accounting firm. But so far any changes were suggested by me first, and when I asked questions about it I would be better off doing this or that they told me it's up to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics