Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much money to give rav when selling chometz?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:00 pm
Thanks

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:50 pm
My husband gives between 75-100.. I’m sure whatever you give he will understand.. I’m no Rav but I understand how everyone’s finances vary so I say whatever you give will be fine..

s1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:01 pm
I didn't know this was even a "thing"?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:14 pm
Is 75-100 standard?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:14 pm
Never heard of it before

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is 75-100 standard?

No, standard is more like 20-40.
The Rav is providing a service, it's nice to give him a little something for it.

gottago

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:33 pm
This is a very old tradition. It's not about selling the chometz as much as an opportunity to thank the rav for the whole year. There might be a difference if your rav gets paid well, or if you contribute to that salary. Also if he's helped you a lot this year or if this is the only time all year that you rely on him.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:31 pm
Never heard of this either.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:48 am
Depends if it’s your rav who you go to all year or just a random rabbi you have nothing to do with. The first $50-100. The second $18 or whatever amount is suggested donation.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:40 am
gottago wrote:
This is a very old tradition. It's not about selling the chometz as much as an opportunity to thank the rav for the whole year. There might be a difference if your rav gets paid well, or if you contribute to that salary. Also if he's helped you a lot this year or if this is the only time all year that you rely on him.

THIS.

We give $100-150

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:52 am
$75 (we are tight). Rav of our shul. We aren’t very close or anything but it’s a thing to show Hakaras Hatov. Doing this in our US city, and before did this in Yerushalayim…

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:00 am
gottago wrote:
This, and I would assume that if your Rav doesn't get a salary you should really really pay him very well at every opportunity. If you would work something out with a lawyer it would cost you way more.
Some people have this thing that they expect the Rav to just be there for them with no compensation. The Rav also has a family to support and yom tov expenses coming up, plus dealing with all peoples complicated questions, is on the phone for hours and so on..

Yes, the dw of a dh that's a Rav without a salary.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:02 am
Yes! My husband is a Rav! I will just say that he devotes his life to his congregants as well as hundreds of others who are not officially part of his congregation but ask and send shailos and counseling.

Of course he receives a salary but really.. how can one be paid for devoting his every waking hour (and often sleep hours) to the klall.

Of course this is his chosen profession which he loves and those who can’t afford should absolutely not feel pressure to give much but please recognize that this is a small way to demonstrate hakaras hatov.

My husband does not c”v demand it and whatever he gets he’s completely fine with.
But I think it’s important for people to simply have awareness.

We’re an oot community with the average donation being 35-55. Many give less and many give more.

All is appreciated immensely!

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:03 am
I assume at least most of the ladies who didn't hear of it didn't hear of it because their husbands take care of it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:42 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
I assume at least most of the ladies who didn't hear of it didn't hear of it because their husbands take care of it.

I will assume you are wrong.
In my present community, the rav stands by the hagalat keilim with a form that anyone can sign fod the rav to sell their chametz. Men or women go to this. And there is no money exchanged
Its just not done all over is more like it.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:08 am
My husband gave 100 yesterday

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I will assume you are wrong.
In my present community, the rav stands by the hagalat keilim with a form that anyone can sign fod the rav to sell their chametz. Men or women go to this. And there is no money exchanged
Its just not done all over is more like it.

I purposely didn't say ALL 😀
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics