Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
2 Hadar honeys (Chometz) got thick and unusable

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:14 pm
Im throwing out Chometz now.

2 Hadar honeys (Chometz) got thick and unusable

It never happened before. Now 2 of one brand.

They arent old, they were bought recently. It happened with one honey, so I opened a second. Same thing happened pretty soon. It wasnt stored near heat. They were stored in a cool place.

This is puzzling.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:16 pm
I've learned to only buy Gefen

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:42 pm
I've had this with Kirkland too. It has to do with the humidity in your house I think

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:52 pm
Put it in hot water and the honey will go back to a liquid. The honey christolozed.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:02 pm
It’s because they’re not natural honey. It has corn syrup and is processed. Raw honey won’t turn hard like this

mom923

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:10 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Put it in hot water and the honey will go back to a liquid. The honey christolozed.

My husband did this to our honey when it did this too. Said it had something to do with the humidity in our apartment.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:33 pm
I had this with Hadar too. I don't buy it anymore. I never had it since.... I believe Hadar is a cheaper line of gefen.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:23 am
Interesting how I thought that Haddar was one of the top "frum" food brands.

teachkids

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting how I thought that Haddar was one of the top "frum" food brands.

I've had it with other brands too. I think it's actually a sign it's real honey

Raizle

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 3:00 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
It’s because they’re not natural honey. It has corn syrup and is processed. Raw honey won’t turn hard like this

The other way around. Usually pure raw honey that hasn't been heat treated crystallizes over time and goes hard. It's healthier honey. That said, I don't know Hadar honey. Maybe the same thing happens with honey mixed with corn syrup. I don't know, but a simple check at the ingredients should confirm.

What I do know is that raw honey DOES go hard

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:07 am
I'm a decades long health nut. This means it is real honey. Quality stuff, not sugar water. You just warm it up to reliquify in hot water.

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 7:27 am
Corn syrup is used in many cases to prevent crystallization: this is definitely not a sign of contamination.

Gently warm when you get a chance and pour the honey into an open mouth glass jar. Once it's crystalized once, it tends to be prone to it, but glass is easy to heat and an open mouth jar makes milder crystallization not block getting the honey out.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 7:51 am
Usually this happens when moisture gets into your honey and it crystallizes.

Q: Somebody said that this brand contains corn syrup. But the label in the photo says, "Grade A Pure Honey," so this product should not contain corn syrup, as far as I understand. Or perhaps I donlt understand US FDA food labels.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:13 am
OP, I'm glad you posted. This raises awareness. Not everything that has a change of texture is a sign of going bad.
Chocolate, when refrigerated, gets a white hue. Nothing wrong with it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:57 am
If you didn’t see last years thread honey does contain corn syrup and they’re not required to list it since it’s so miniscule that the OU agrees it’s not enough to make it chametz

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 9:01 am
Raw honey is strained into the bottle no processing involved. Whereas regular 100 percent pure grade a honey goes through a process involving corn syrup and it removes some pollen and health benefits.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:25 pm
For those who recommend warming up the honey, its in a plastic jar. The last thing I want to do is warm up food in plastic.

If its a sign of quaity, how come I never had this happen for years, when I assume better quality foods were made, and just recently I had it happen with two bottles of one brand only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen