Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sending an oldest to school?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 10:54 am
I need some advice. here is my problem. every morning I wake up between 9 and 10 am. Thank G-d my kids are used to my schedule and even though they wake up between 7:30 and 8:00 they keep quiet and let me sleep. alot of times before my husband goes to work he gives them a drink of milk so they shouldnt cry. and they are ok, not crying, playing, jumping in their cribs. I know that doesnt sound like much of a problem, but here it comes. I'm pregnant now which is why I need so much sleep. next year I'm going to have to take my oldest to school everyday, and I will also have a newborn to care for all night. how in the world am I going to be able to wake up every day at 7:30 to get them ready?
and I cant just say well I'll just go to sleep earlier. b/c if I need 10 hrs of sleep that means going to bed at 9 pm!!! (takes time to fall asleep) I cant do that! I'll never get to spend quality time with my husband if I go to sleep so early.
hence my dillema, Help

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:01 am
Is it possible to nap during the day?
Or to see hubby during day?

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:03 am
I hear you, that's a toughie (I ALWAYS have a hard time getting up).

Some things to think about:
- Do you need 10 hours straight, or can a nap during the day make up time?
- Can you employ emergency measures for getting your oldest to school (I.e. sleep in their clothes for next day, put out breakfast the night before, make snacks the night before) with the premise that you can go back to sleep afterwards?
- How many nights a week do you need with your husband? Can you stretch your limits that many nights a week, and go to sleep early the other nights?
- Can your husband do some of the "getting them ready" so you can wake up 10 mins before you need to go?

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:11 am
Quote:
sleep in their clothes for next day

youre not serious, are you? shock

amother

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:12 am
well since I'll have a toddler and a newborn at home while the oldest is at school, I doubt I'll get to sleep much during the day if at all. I still dont know if I'll send the oldest for a half day or full day, till 3.
I like to spend time with my husband every night, its the only way for us to stay connected, (less fights that way) Very Happy

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:21 am
RG wrote:
Quote:
sleep in their clothes for next day

youre not serious, are you? shock

Very serious. Instead of getting into PJs, get into a clean pair of clothes. They don't get too wrinkled by the morning, so just put on shoes and you're ready to go.

Not the best solution for full-time, but it sure works!

yehudis

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 11:33 am
You might need less sleep when you are not pregnant. Generally, with a newborn, somehow we women manage with much less sleep that we would like to. Energy comes from somewhere.

I also have a hard time getting up in the morning, but somehow I managed when my baby was little.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 12:02 pm
When people ask me how I manage, I honestly answer:
"I do not know. We take it 1 day/ time"

Prep sereal, snack & clothes to put on in the eve.
You husband will probably be able to supervise your oldest getting ready.

Get help & rest as much as you can.

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 12:11 pm
I agree with FY- it seems like you still have a while to go before this actually happens. one day at a time is how we all get through life.

remember that a newborn sleeps very often and a toddler most usually also takes a nice nap, and if you can get them to sleep at the same time, you will also be able to nap if you need one.

micki

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 12:24 pm
I was the same way.
I would get up- give them a bottle and go back to sleep with them playing in their cribs.
then I had to be out of the house by 9:30. it was awful for the first few days, but we did it.
every yar, every kid makes my schedule earlier. now my oldest has to be out by 8:15 and I used to get up at 7:45.
but everyone was rushed. so now somehow I manage to get up at 7-7:15 and no one is rushed and for the wierdest reason I am not tired!!!
I think hashem hepls us out. I can take a nap by day if I want, but I don't usually. and I am in bed 10-11 at night.

now looking back I cannot believe how I could not get up bt 9:30!!!! I mean come on! but then I coldn't, now I can. don't know why.

you will be fine.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 1:19 pm
It's amazing how resourceful and energetic we b/come when we have to. Since I had similar predicament as micki w/h first then by the time others arrived b'h I manage w/h less sleep and use my time when not on Twisted Evil imamother, more constructivley. It may seem overwhelming now but you will find a plan that works for you so Hatzlacha

proudmom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 1:27 pm
I know exactly how it feels. After I gave birth to my baby I had to send my kids to school.. I was shleping the baby and my 2 other kids to school every morning., It was so tireing in the begining and then I got used to it. I would hardly sleep at night because until my baby would go to sleep would be around 2 in the morning and then I am up in the morning by 7 to take care of the kids Eventually my body got used to not sleeping. I am the type of person to sleep and sleep.

Amother, is there anyone that can help you out in the begining to help you get your child to school? If there is ask them to help you out.

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:53 pm
sorry to sound patronsing, but maybe you need to see a Dr....

I dont think its normal to need to sleep that much...... most of us do fine on 6 or 7 hours with an occassional nap... with the demands of parenthood and jobs.. who the heck gets to sleep till 9 or 10 in the morning????

my baby is up between 6 and 7 and we both have to leave the house by7;45 to get him to daycare and me to work.....

have you tried some form of excersize?? going to bed earlier..

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:55 pm
Quote:
most of us do fine on 6 or 7 hours

count me out of this one.... I need 8-9 hours of sleep and thats why I go to bed early.

proudmom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:59 pm
Some people need more sleep than others.

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:59 pm
RG....

my hubby wakes up every morning between 5 am and 5 30 to learn before davening, so he tries to go to bed between 9.30 and 10;30 during the week. This has helpd me to go to bed too, cos really Im a nigh owl.. I find I function better when I go to sleep earlier... Its a must... but I cant imagine not starting my day till 9 or 10......

Yael

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:02 pm
the normal range for how much sleep you need is between 6-9 hrs.
everyone is different. some people naturally need more sleep than others. besides since she is pregnant she needs more than normal anyway.

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:04 pm
Im pregnant too and in my last trimester so am tired too... Oh well.. still have to work take care of my 21 month old, and cook ect...

I find that not focusing on being tired helps.. oh and a good cup of coffee helps too!!

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:08 pm
Quote:
I dont think its normal to need to sleep that much...... most of us do fine on 6 or 7 hours with an occassional nap...

she's pregnant and often pregnant women need more sleep

and no, I do not do fine AT ALL on 6-7 hours of sleep, it's completely out of the question for me

back to amother: when is the baby due?

and here's an oddball comment - maybe it will be LESS stressful for you to keep your oldest home than to send him/her to school Question

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:33 pm
Quote:
and here's an oddball comment - maybe it will be LESS stressful for you to keep your oldest home than to send him/her to school

Thats Motek what I do, so no fixed schedule, no snack or clothes to prepare. I can bath her during the day rather then b/4 school no rush. And if she doesn't go to sleep on time it's ok coz she doesn't have to be up at a certain time, no car pool to arange etc etc. Trust me not only do we learn more at home, she's my helper and we have loads of fun on our terms.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics