Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach in Lubavitch- tips??
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Tiale

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:02 pm
I think we hold just about every chumra in the book...peeling veggies- only seedless, no oil or sugar, no soap on dishes (??), no lettuce in mid-week, no dairy or cocoa , no gebrokts etc. Anyone else do so too? Any tips on cooking or preparing ur own sweetners/potato starch etc.? Any veggies I'm forgetting? Last pesach I was 2 months preggie and suffered with no pretzels, junk etc. This year I don't think I'm preggie but don't wanna suffer.... No bashing please; just practical tips Smile Thanks!

Tiale

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:03 pm
Also- I'm mainly looking for side dishes and salads- I miss the freeeesh light foods on Pesach!

sneakermom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:46 pm
You can make carrot salad, beet salad, cole slaw (make your own mayo), stir fry onions with julianned carrots and if you eat garlick or peeled mushrooms. You can also peel tomatos and make an onion and tomato salad with fresh lemon and oil dressing (or shmaltz), or you can use your own homemade mayo for something like that. Also potato salad, with shredded carrot, onion, home made mayo, is very good.

Side dishes are hard to keep light. But you can make sauteed onions and mashed potato's, root vegetable kugel, potato kugel, apple crunch maybe with nuts etc, Also broiled sweet potato's are delicious, you can also broil with it carrots, sliced onion, garlick, parsnip. Drizzle with shmaltz or oil and salt. It comes out very tasty.

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:50 pm
sneakermom wrote:
You can make carrot salad, beet salad, cole slaw (make your own mayo),

You can make cole slaw with kohlrabi, which is peelable. But if Tiala keeps every chumra in the book, then she doesn't use oil, ergo no mayonnaise.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 1:47 pm
if you don't use oil put avocado in your salads.

salads we make:

cucumber salad with onions.
avocado and mango salad
avocado and orange salad
avocado and egg salad
beets (boil a big pot before yom tov and peel as needed. You need to keep a seperate pot for this or use your egg pot)
beet and potato salad
cucumber and tomato salad (you can buy a tomato peeler)
carrot salad

stir fried carrots and zucchini
roasted parsnips
roast sweet potatoes

You can peel peppers and mushrooms if you get bored of all the carrots and beets and cucumbers. But I wouldn't do it for a crowd.

We also grew up with the no dish soap. But I don't think a single one of my siblings keeps it now.

the pesach spice and spirit has got lots of good ideas.

myshtub

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 4:27 pm
I would juice as much citrus as you can. I have my teen do it and I use it for everything. Its amazing what a little lemon and salt can do for a salad. I have a friend who actually peels strawberries she says it worth it in a salad.
do you use soap on your pots and pans? just curious.

notme

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 10:02 pm
avocado and mango salad is the best! Just cut into cubes, tastes so good.

cucumber salad with lemon juice, onion, salt

beet salad

carrot salad

israeli salad

potato kugel

sweet potato kugel

for a sweet treat you can mash banana, add a little lemon juice and freeze. I use disposable muffin tins.

bfg

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 10:22 pm
we don't use oil & I prefer no shmaltz (save some from the top of soup to use for matzoh kugel last day)
I make a ratatoullie type of food - by using tomatoes as the base - slowly cooking them a long time & adding onions, then add eggplants, zuccini, pepper, mushrooms - whatever it is your minhag to use - peel whatever needs peeling. Some salt, lemon. I make a big pot before Pesach. Freeze some. It takes a long time but tastes really good. Can be used as cold salad. Can be served hot or cold with boiled potatoes. Can be a sauce for chicken or fish....

With Salads - use Lime also - not only lemon. Adds another dimension. For fresh salads, add avocado, lime juice, (or lemon juice), some salt.

Grate carrotts. Blend a pineapple till becomes creamy like mayo. Mix together - very refreshing salad.

Beets can be shredded raw & added to salads. Use various citrus juices, onions, salt.

Grate Celery Root, Shred apples (or dice), almonds or walnuts chopped up, pineapple - Pesach waldorf

Cooked sweet potatoes.

Purer foods, with no additives, or mayo & spices, are very refreshing & flavourful.

Tiale

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:12 am
Wow! Amazing ideas! And so many of them... Thanks! Does anyone know of this chumra not to use veggies with seeds ie. Tomatoes, cucumbers etc?? My mother uses a lot more things but DH keeps all these chumras- just wanna make sure there's a basis for these "chumras" without making him feel I don't trust him. I don't use soap for anything- even pots n pans- on pesach; except for showering. Any more ideas? What can I freeze of these things? Also- does the s n s pesach book have mostly things with pot starch and cocoa and oil, dairy!? Is it worth it to buy??

drumjj

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:20 am
u can also do onion with egg salad. I fry the onion, I know u can fry it in water I know someone who does that. do u use aubergine? because u can make zuchini and aubergine. ive never heard of the no seeds chumra and we are lubavitch.

soldat

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:25 am
this is NOT a bash... but, could it be that some of these were not available in Russia?
for example my grandma won't use sweet potatoes on pesach probably cause of that reason.
I have also heard that not using veggies with seeds is cause the seeds resemble kitniyos - but I have no idea if that's true.

one more idea to add to the rest.
I find it best not to make to much food in advance. there is something about fresh baked chicken (with onion and wine) and fresh hot mashed potatoes that tastes so much better for a meal rather then leftover meant and potato kugel from the day before.
also do you make applesuace? that can add a bit of sweetness to your day! I think what my grandma does is goes to the grocery store and buys one of each type of apple, takes it home tastes each one and that buys alot of the sweetest apple - and uses that for applesuace. (we use sugar water...)

Tiale

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:33 am
I think ur right about the kitniyos reason- but is it something we need to keep? Do any of u keep this? I'm happy to be machmir but don't wanna be crazy for no reason. What do u give ur kids different from what u eat urselves on pesach?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:45 am
Do you use honey?
How about vinegar?
Try incorporating those in salad dressings.
You can also roast sweat potatoes in honey.
How about soups?
You could do a Marak Katom - orange vegetable soup with pureed vegetables. Or just a plain chicken veggie soup.
Try to liven up mashed potatoes with other root vegetables.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:51 am
Tiale wrote:
I think ur right about the kitniyos reason- but is it something we need to keep? Do any of u keep this? I'm happy to be machmir but don't wanna be crazy for no reason. What do u give ur kids different from what u eat urselves on pesach?

whatever we eat the kids eat. Sometimes they get chocolate (from other people, or from shul) and we let them eat it. I think most people let their kids have milk and perhaps yoghurt. we do milk but not yoghurt.

I've never heard of the seeds thing. And I have heard fo a lot of crazy minhagim. Ask your in laws...is it an old family minhag? Are your in laws lubavitch from way back? Also ask a rav if you have to keep it if it is your husbands minhag. maybe you can have cucumber even if he doesn't.

the spice and spirit is sitll worth getting even if you don't use potato starch and oil. A lot of the recipes give ingredients as optional. And there are great salad, kugel and meat recipes.

I agree about fresh food. Sometimes on yom tov I leave the oven on, (on a timer) put chicken in in the mroning before shul and we come home to lovely hot fresh roasted chicken.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 4:35 am
I have heard that there are some chassidish groups who use only veggies without seeds, but this is the first time I'm hearing of a lubavitcher who keeps this chumra. It sounds like op's dh has ancestry from other chassiduses too.

Do you use sugar before pesach? I can tell you how I make potato flour if you want, then you can make cakes. (if you use sugar!) I also use the flour to coat shnitzels for baking or frying, and sometimes to bulk up scrambled eggs.

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 4:53 am
My uncle did not use cucumbers or other seeded vegetables because the seeds can resemble kitniyos, but he was not Lubavitch. He was a Satmar chassid, originally from Romania/Hungary. Is that where your husband's roots are? (Is this his family's minhag or is it one that he wants to take upon himself?)

Beinoni mommie

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 5:46 am
I also learned (Machon Chana) that the reason some eat only seedless veggies were b/c that was what they ate in Lubavitch and available in Russia. We ate in Machon (this was over 10 years ago ) only that but my Mashpiah from Chicago only eats whatever can be peeled and that won't come in contact with the peeling knife. (You should see the way she peels tomatos).

I also do all those chumras except the soap thing. (My husband is a rav so thank G-d he knows where I should go crazy and where I don't need to) but to eaches own... What does the Ari say about chumras on Pesach, that it will affect our yiras shamayim for the the whole year...

I never heard of the soap thing, but knew of a very shtark family who also did that, using only lemon for cleaning- that is based on the idea of nothing processed and that your body does "eat" what it wears (this is why I wear organic make-up!) She was a teacher of mine. Her breath really did smell...

Spice and Spirt does a lot that can be worked with on your level. all the salads have the option of just lemon etc. If you want I have already gone through the book and tried what is shiach to that type of cooking. Can definitely pass it on...but it is a good buy, there are a lot of other things in the book...letters from the REbbe about Pesach, seder, what you need to cook etc... review sheets...

Potato starch I dont have time to work with and sweetners don't use either. Why doesnt your dh hold by that? Even if it is boiled before Pesach, still, I never got into it. Sugar is cocaine!! (Highly addictive and makes a person crazy, especially white sugar!).

I am not holding anywhere near what I am going to cook etc, but when I get there I will share with you!

also, ultimately you should speak to your mashpiach if there is a machloychis in where the fam should be holding on Pesach, there are always more inyonim involved that meets the eye, but usually meets hers (I.e, mashpiah)...

Flower

stay strong!

Beinoni mommie

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 5:48 am
also... I give my kids chocolate on Pesach and when they are old enough to decide that they dont want to be eating it thats when they will stop... (suage I know...)

dairy I also do for the kids, but want to stop that...

exhausted

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 6:46 am
I grew up with a BT father who kept all the Chumros he learned in a big Lubav family. We did keep the no seed vegetable thing, but BH my DH never heard of it and I don't do it anymore. I do keep most of the other Chumros op mentioned, except the soap on dishes. I tried many times to make potato starch but it seems like it uses so many potatoes for so little starch that I just don't do it anymore. Another option for coating shnitzel is ground nuts. I make shnitzel on Acharon shel Pesach with Matzo meal, its dark brown but delicious!! Another good fresh food as a change is fruit salad. I also use grape juice in some salads to counteract the lemon and a bit of variety.

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 7:59 am
I've heard of all these chumros in my time, and one more - no hot water when washing dishes!

I became frum in a chabad house that did not use potato starch or cocoa. It's perfectly reasonable to get through Pesach without them.

Today, I will use both potatoe starch and cocoa before biur chometz, but not after.

You can survive with anything with seeds, but you will have very little variety - that cuts out all fruit, and all non-root vegetables. It also rules out avocado which has one giant seed. How far does your DH take the no seed rule?

It leaves you with meat, potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips, etc. My suggestions are to: roast your root veggies - it helps to bring out the sweetness, try different mashed vegetables, use a pressure cooker!

My standard meal erev yomtov is wine, skinless chicken, potato, carrot, sweet potato in the pressure cooker. It infuses the food with flavor. Delicious!
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics