Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Ideas for seder night
1  2  Next

mother of 2 princess's

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 1:54 pm
I panicking like mad
I havnt even started pesach cleaning yet
this the is the first year im making seder night and got aobut 15 ppl both night.

just wondered if you guys could help me out with the menu!!!
many thanks Rolling Eyes

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 5:48 pm
1. make it simple
2. make it small (nobody's hungry after 3 kezaisim omatza + there is no time to eat anyways)
3. Plan it well & give yourself 2 extra days to make up
4. Kasher your kitchen at leas a week b4 pesah
5. go out for seudos shabbos b4 shabbos hagadol
6. DISPOSABLES!!!! (bear in mind that kosos cannot be disposable - glass might be ok, ask your Rav)
7. order matza NOW (and a lot) b/c later you won't get any
8. if u can afford it, arrange 4 a cleaning lady to come in the mornings to clean 4 u
9. NO CHUMRAS!!!
10. remember that you're obligated in all mitzvos of Pesah as much as the guy sitting next 2 u.
11. you do not have to say/ read the entire Hagada - ask your Rav for details or wait a few days for me to get my notes.
PM me if I forget!!!

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 7:16 pm
My mother's menu- easy, quick, delish Wink

Appetizer: canteloupe & honeydew chunks
Fish:
- baked/boiled fish roll, plain (or with carrot, just throw it in the pot or pan)
- cucumber salad- slice in food processor, put in some onion slices, put in lemon juice, sugar, salt, and marinate for at least a few hours
- beet salad - same idea (but boil the beets Very Happy)
Soup: throw chicken and veggies in pot, add salt, boil
Chicken: bake chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions (peel & throw in pan on 350)
- side dish= potato kugel (food processor grate potatoes & onions, add salt, eggs, oil/shmaltz, bake)
- dessert: homemade applesauce! peel & core apples, boil till soft, drain some extra water, mash like mashed potatoes, add grape juice to sweeten.

This really takes only a few hours to prepare for even 75 people, and if you make extra, lasts most of Yom Tov. (the fish, salads, & applesauce last the entire Pesach- if we don't eat it all first!)

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 7:19 pm
BTW, you can skip whatever you want, it's not a chiyuv! Should just give you some ideas (remember, my mother always has her kids helping in the kitchen).

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 1:28 am
Quote:
My mother's menu- easy, quick, delish

Your mothers menu sounds like mine.... sure we are not related Smile

Pearl

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 1:34 am
this thread makes me panic about getting ready for pesach even more!!! we still have to go through purim first (and I have 2 bday's for 2 of my kids, iyh!) - like it's said in israel "parah, parah" (cow, cow) slowly does it! first comes first etc!

manda, I think you got some very good advises there, hope it helps!

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 6:45 am
I never thought of a fruit appetizer during the seder. I guess our "appetizer" is hard-boiled egg in salt water Confused

Chanie

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 11:25 am
oh no, what a reminder.. I'm making pesssach with my sister-in-law and I"M IN CHARGED OF THE COOKING. (shes cleaning... and I'd prefer cooking to cleaning) I got to get the menu done. I guess I have to start wit the cook books... the spice and spirt pessach cookbook has pretty decent recipes (my mother bought me the book last year.... dont know why since I never made pessach yet, but it'll come in handy this year)
Last year my sister and I planner the food at my mother... but we weren't so simple... we made many salads to do with the fish and made both gefilta fish and salmon.
Salads I make large quantity enough for all the meals.
Roasted peppers (one roasted the peels come right off) with avocodo... I forgot the dressing.. got to look it up
beets... grated raw.. with salt, and lemon juice.
cucumber salad
tomato salad (I prefer to peel them when very firm rather then burn off the skin, which I know a lot of pple do)
carrot salad
eggplant
zuccini
there is tons you can do... most fods can be addapted for pessach with only a few canges. Think about your regular menu and you'll see what I mean. Of course it depends how careful you are on pessach...
there was chicken soup with non-gebrochts kneidlack (they are really good) or pessach "lukchen" (crepes made from eggs and potato starch... then cut up real thin)
for the main course we made a huge roast... big enough for 2 meals.. because you cannot start cooking for the second seder till after dark for the second seder. then kugel... eaither zuccini or potato and some other veg....potato 'rice' (mashed potato through a masher then seperates it to look like rice) with the gravy from the roast or something else for a side dish.

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 11:32 am
Quote:
beets... grated raw

are you sure about this? beets raw?

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 12:09 pm
Amanda, also keep in mind that the Afokiman has to be eaten by midnight! so you have to end the meal with enough time to spear for giving out & chewing & swallowing ANOTHER kezais of matza!!!

rydys

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 1:12 pm
Our minhag is to serve boiled chicken, so I keep it really simple. I make a huge pot of chicken soup with enough pieces for everyone. Then I make a kugel, a gefilte fish and a salad. Desert is fruit of some kind.

sarahd

Post Sat, Mar 12 2005, 2:42 pm
rydys - same minhag, but we have boiled flanken also. Otherwise - fish, kugel, salad and compote. My mother always says that no matter how little she prepares, it's always too much!

Chanie

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 4:58 pm
rydys wrote:
Our minhag is to serve boiled chicken,

really? I was always brought up that on yom tov you are supposed to eat meat... my father takes it literal... we have to eat meat by every meal.. If my mother wanted to serve chicken she would have to include at least one piece of meat for my father. (I think the Lubacitcher Rebbe said to eat meat on yom tov... but do not quote me on it... I could be mistaken)

Quote:
beets raw?

yes, I do not eat it, but my husband and his family love it.. so I'll serve it... they have it as a regular shobbos salad too each week.

As much as it's the seder night and you might to have the place for much food...never mind exhaustion from all that leads up to it... however, shulchan aruch IS a yom tov meal, so why make it anything less....I would serve a full nice yom tov meal... everyone could chose if they feel like eating it all or not.

rydys

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:27 pm
Chanie, its true that usually one should eat meat at every Y"T meal. The exception by some chassidim is the sedorim. The reason is that we don't want to eat anything resembling the korban pesach while we are in galus so no one will think this is actually the korban pesach. Some people just don't eat roasted lamb, some don't eat roasted red meat, some eat only chicken, and some eat only boiled chicken. The minhagim really vary!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 5:54 pm
Some consider chicken a type of meat.

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 5:21 am
fy what is wrong with using glass for the arba kosot we always used it growing up it is nicer what do you use metel?

alef22

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 7:10 am
I thought everyone agreed that we don't eat roasted meat or chicken at the Seder because of the Korbon Pesach which was roasted.
I learned you can make potted meat or chicken or really saucy meat or chicken so it does not look roasted.

Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 7:12 am
I thought FY meant one can not use disposable glasses....

Chanie

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 8:20 am
hisorerus wrote:
Some consider chicken a type of meat.

Actually chicken was originally not flieshig, but the Rabbis changed it cuz it was too easy to mix up with meat.

Anything Roasted isn't allowed by the seder...
fyi - pot roast is cooked in liquid... It isn't at all the same thing as roasted (which is over an open fire.)

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 9:14 am
Pearl wrote:
I thought FY meant one can not use disposable glasses....

yep, this is what I ment

glass is fine
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics