Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Going to a wedding with a virus?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 3:51 pm
I have a virus. It's annoying, but liveable.

My good friend is getting married tonight. I really want to be there. First of all, because she's my good friend. Second of all, because when I got married several years ago, all of my (then single) friends came and danced the night away. I don't think it's fair that she should get the short end of the stick just because we're all married and it's too hard to find babysitters, deal with bedtimes, etc. I rearranged my whole schedule, inconvenienced my dh and others, so that I could be there with her on her day. And now I'm sick.

Can I go anyway? Obviously I'll wash my hands, try not to breathe on anyone else's food, bring plenty of tissues to cough/sneeze into. But is it wrong to go and possible infect others?

shoshina

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:00 pm
The trouble is with the dancing there is almost no way you don't touch someone between handwashings... and imagine if the Kallah got sick her wedding night and sniffled through the Sheva Brochas!

But I absolutely see your point and applaud you not being the married friend who ducks out right after Chuppah (we had a few of those, and I definitely noticed but I also understood) I would say if you are feeling up to it-- go-- and be EXTREMELY careful while dancing ESPECIALLY with the Kallah (even if you hand sanitize during the dance!) and the minute you feel sneezy/sniffly, excuse yourself!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:18 pm
shoshina wrote:
...applaud you not being the married friend who ducks out right after Chuppah (we had a few of those, and I definitely noticed but I also understood)

OP here. I do that all the time. But this is a really good friend of mine. I do that with people who I'm friendly with, or used to be friends with a while back. Especially if the wedding is nearby. This is the first full wedding I've been to for a long time. I can only think of one other I've been to in the five years I've been married.

So it's really okay? I'm used to coughing/sneezing into my sleeve, which is better than on my hands. And I really don't want to get anybody sick. But...

shoshina

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:37 pm
I think its really ok...Dr friends tell me you are contagious with a cold before you have any symptoms, so you could very well have gone to the wedding feeling fine, not been conscientious, and gotten everyone sick! Just don't get so carried away that you forget that you have a responsibility to be absolutely crazy about hand washing, avoid hugging (I know, impossible at a wedding) and listen to your body. You will add to the Kallahs Simcha as much by dancing with her for 20 minutes as you will if you stay all night and make yourself ill!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 5:38 pm
I would not go. I don't think it's fair to the other guests. especially not right before pesach.

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 6:36 pm
well....what kind of virus is it? throwing up? diahrea? fever?

If it's the first two, I would recommend not going.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette