Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to monsey

amother

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 8:03 pm
I'm moving from brooklyn to Monsey very soon. I'm Yeshivish/kollel type. Does anyone know what area I would feel comfortable living in?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 10:17 am
bump

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 10:44 am
You can try the new Bates area, though I hear it is more chassidish than yeshivish.

You can look in Forshay.

You can also try Victoria Gardens, which is an apartment complex (if you're looking for that) which tends to have lots of young yeshivish couples.

You didn't specify your age range, family size, or what type of residence you're looking for, so I can't provide you with more info.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 10:54 am
I love Monsey

Monsey is one big Mix and I think you will be happy anywhere....

Enjoy the move, its a beautiful place to live and to bring up your kids.

Good Luck!

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 11:03 am
wereafamily wrote:
I love Monsey

Good Luck!

I disagree with this. We are yeshivish and lived in Monsey, in an area that was not yeshivish. We were not happy at all. We lived there for over a year and I never once met anybody to be friends with.

Do your research first; don't just move without knowing who your neighbors are.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 11:15 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
You can try the new Bates area, though I hear it is more chassidish than yeshivish.

You can look in Forshay.

You can also try Victoria Gardens, which is an apartment complex (if you're looking for that) which tends to have lots of young yeshivish couples.

You didn't specify your age range, family size, or what type of residence you're looking for, so I can't provide you with more info.

We are in our high 20's, have one baby. We prefer to rent a house.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 1:22 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:

Actually, Bates is more Litvish/yeshivish now than chasidish. Especially in some clusters.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 1:23 pm
wereafamily wrote:
I love Monsey

Good Luck!

That is not true. I don't think they'll be happy just anywhere.

LiLIsraeli wrote:
wereafamily wrote:
I love Monsey

Good Luck!

I disagree with this. We are yeshivish and lived in Monsey, in an area that was not yeshivish. We were not happy at all. We lived there for over a year and I never once met anybody to be friends with.

Do your research first; don't just move without knowing who your neighbors are.

Is it possible that your own prejudices came into play here as well?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 1:36 pm
If you are Yeshivish/Kollel, you do not want to move to Wesley Hills.

This area is one big fashion show. 8)

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 1:40 pm
life'sgreat wrote:

I am a new imamother, and I am not OP.

I am not prejudiced, but I have found that some people are not friendly to someone who is not like them. In other words, many people in Monsey are snobs.

If you do not dress like they do, they will not talk to you.

However, I have met many people who are warm and friendly to all Jewish people, regardless of background/dress.

While you accuse us of being prejudiced, I have found that others are prejudiced.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

I am a new imamother, and I am not OP.

I am not prejudiced, but I have found that some people are not friendly to someone who is not like them. In other words, many people in Monsey are snobs.

If you do not dress like they do, they will not talk to you.

However, I have met many people who are warm and friendly to all Jewish people, regardless of background/dress.

While you accuse us of being prejudiced, I have found that others are prejudiced.

A. I didn't accuse anyone. I asked a question.

B. Again, back to my question, is it possible it's your own prejudice at play? I'm rather friendly to people and have friends from many/all crowds. However, I'm the one that's usually snobbed by not chasidish people. I'll be stared up and down, they wouldn't open a conversation if I don't take the initiative, which sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The bottom line is that if you think Monsey is a place full of snobs (happens to be more people greet each other and chat each other up than in the city from what I've experienced), is it possible that it might be from your side as well?

C. Let me ask you this question - if you saw me, a typical chasidish woman, would you be friendly to me? Or is it only up to me to initiate a conversation? Aren't you just as snobbish as you consider me to be?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 2:36 pm
Actually, I myself am from out-of-town. I do greet everyone I see with smile, whether Chassidish, Litvish or Modern Orthodox. I love to shop at All Fresh, and some customers are friendly, and others are snobs.

There are many people coming to Monsey from the city, and I meet more and more snobs every day.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 3:02 pm
I'm also very interested in moving to Monsey. We're a mix of heimishe, educated and chabad....does anyone have suggestions of neighborhoods that would be a good fit? We're also very easy going and friendly with a growing family. Any info would be very appreciated.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I'm also very interested in moving to Monsey. We're a mix of heimishe, educated and chabad....does anyone have suggestions of neighborhoods that would be a good fit? We're also very easy going and friendly with a growing family. Any info would be very appreciated.

The limekiln area sounds good for you.

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 5:11 pm
OP, you should look into South Monsey. a lot of the families there are in your age range and yeshivish, it would probably be a good fit.

Main Monsey, which is a big part of monsey centered around the area of Yeshiva Spring Valley Boys, is mostly chassidish.

The area off Union Road, dunno what the neighborhood is called, is mostly chassidish as well.

Blueberry Hills is a mix of different types, there are chassidish, yeshivish, and modern families. There are rentals available in this neighborhood, which is not available everywhere in monsey, so people who want a rental often live here, regardless of type.

Concorde is mostly a rich litvish neighborhood, some more yeshivish and some less yeshivish, not so many young families.

Forshay is mostly litvish, mix of more yeshivish and less yeshivish, some younger and some older.

Wesley Hills is quite modern, left-wing MO.

Airmont is mostly chassidish I think? Not sure. Some yeshivish also. Its a newer and therefore younger neighborhood.

New Hemsptead is mostly litvish, a very nice friendly neighborhood in my opinion! A lot of yeshivish, a lot of not yeshivish, not so many kollel people though. Mix of younger and older families.

Suffern is mostly litvish, mix of older and younger families.

Two popular complexes where young families can rent: Victoria Gardens in Blueberry Hills, and Royal Gardens in New Hempstead. Victoria has bigger apartments, but from what I hear, the crowd at Royal is friendlier...?

OK I didnt cover all the neighborhoods, so whoever else wants to fill in and edit or correct what I wrote so far, feel free!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, I myself am from out-of-town. I do greet everyone I see with smile, whether Chassidish, Litvish or Modern Orthodox. I love to shop at All Fresh, and some customers are friendly, and others are snobs.

There are many people coming to Monsey from the city, and I meet more and more snobs every day.

I'm not sure why you see it as snobbery as much as feeling uncomfortable around people you don't know.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 5:36 pm
old nyack trpk & surrounding streets (dykstra, hungry hollow area) is really yeshivish!!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 06 2013, 9:10 pm
OP. I live in new hempstead and grew up in flatbush...also your type. There are some really nice families on dike and carter lane that may be your type...check it out. The housing comexes might be too yeshivish/chassidish for you! Good luck!

solo

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 4:53 am
I've been looking in monsey too and wasn't aware that Wesley hills is a fashion show. Is this the case in all of Wesley hills or a specific area. I've been looking near dyke.
I don't have the money or patience for dressing up. But would feel very intimidated

amother

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:47 am
Chestnut ridge/ the birds yeshivish crowd...bates has many yeshivish..a new bates type place opening not far from it near cheder of Monsey I know yeahivish ppl looking into it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating