Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What can I do for my cleaning lady?
1  2  Next

wtvr

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 11:40 pm
I have a cleaning lady that comes once a week. She comes from another country. Last week, I got a call from her phone, from s/o related to her, saying that her 18 yr old daughter, who lives in that county, has died, and that she is too "destroyed" (his word- I think he meant distraught) to come work, and will come next week. She did not go back to her country- I don't know why, but assume it's either legal or financial reasons, (or a combo).

I called today to see if she can come tomorrow, and she sounded bad on the phone. She will be coming to work, though.

What can I do for her? I feel really badly for her.

Any advice?

MorahL.

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:46 am
Maybe bake her a cake or some cookies and tell her you're very sorry to hear about her daughter.

hw

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 10:54 am
MorahL. wrote:
Maybe bake her a cake or some cookies and tell her you're very sorry to hear about her daughter.

yeah - some cake and cookies will def do!

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:05 am
Baking her something is definitely nice if you can manage that before pesach. You can also give her a bonus and write her a nice card if she knows enough english.

Whatever you decide to do, its the thought that counts. Its nice to see how thoughtful you are.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:14 am
Express condolences, and be considerate if she needs to take off of work or to take breaks or leave early in the upcoming weeks.

leaht

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:23 pm
sorry for your celaning ladys loss...
I live in argentina and we get local cleaning ladies and also from other countries like peru, bolivia, paraguay etc. withought judging yous cleaning lady, I want to just tell you that here its known that these people have 3 mothers, 5 fathers and 15 siblings/kids/aunt/uncles/boyfriends who ALWAYS die when its most hectic in the house, like erev pesach, tishrai etc. so again, withought judging her, I suggest you look into it before you spend $$$. if its true, this is a tragedy and you should be extra nice and suppoting towards her. and as I always say, in our tefillos we must include our shiksa's health and of their families too!!! happy cleaning while shes gone!

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:25 pm
Please don't use that word, it's offensive.

Thanks.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:33 pm
Tell her how sorry you are for her loss. Ask if there is anything she needs, or that you can do. I'd also make a charitable donation in memory of her daughter.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:33 pm
leaht wrote:
I live in argentina and we get local cleaning ladies and also from other countries like peru, bolivia, paraguay etc. withought judging yous cleaning lady, I want to just tell you that here its known that these people have 3 mothers, 5 fathers and 15 siblings/kids/aunt/uncles/boyfriends who ALWAYS die when its most hectic in the house, like erev pesach, tishrai etc. so again, withought judging her, I suggest you look into it before you spend $$$. if its true, this is a tragedy and you should be extra nice and suppoting towards her. and as I always say, in our tefillos we must include our shiksas health and of their families too!!! happy cleaning while shes gone!

LOL! It's not just cleaning ladies. I used to work in HR for a fairly large company and I always had a handful of employees whose parents/ siblings/ etc. died repeatedly.

However, if her cleaning lady has been a good employee why distrust her?

Kind words and a nice gesture will be appreciated very much.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:39 pm
leaht wrote:
I live in argentina and we get local cleaning ladies and also from other countries like peru, bolivia, paraguay etc. withought judging yous cleaning lady, I want to just tell you that here its known that these people have 3 mothers, 5 fathers and 15 siblings/kids/aunt/uncles/boyfriends who ALWAYS die when its most hectic in the house, like erev pesach, tishrai etc. so again, withought judging her, I suggest you look into it before you spend $$$. if its true, this is a tragedy and you should be extra nice and suppoting towards her. and as I always say, in our tefillos we must include our shiksas health and of their families too!!! happy cleaning while shes gone!

How nasty and condescending.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 12:44 pm
leaht wrote:

shock

MrsMortgage

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 1:12 pm
You call the cleaning help "our shiksa"?!

And what Is your family to her? "My k!kes"?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 1:23 pm
You know, I understand that some people are sensitive to the use of the word shiksa, and so we can all make an effort not to use it here, but I have to say personally I am a lot less concerned with what people call their help then with how they treat their help. I've said it before, I've seen people who treat their shiksa like gold and I've seen people who treat their cleaning lady like garbage.

wtvr

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 1:35 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking about a baking something, but somehow, it seems to me that it may come across like I'm trivializing her loss. It also felt funny for me to bake something for her, and have her clean up my mess...lol!

I'm thinking of giving her a small bonus, and tell her to use it for herself, especially since she won't be working for me the next 2 weeks, b/c of Y"T.

And leaht...I'm sorry I'm so naive to think that someone who's eyes are bloodshot, doesn't eat what I offered her, b/c she doesn't have an appetite, and shows me picture of a beautiful girl, is actually suffering a loss, especially since we're not even Pesach cleaning...

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
You know, I understand that some people are sensitive to the use of the word shiksa, and so we can all make an effort not to use it here, but I have to say personally I am a lot less concerned with what people call their help then with how they treat their help. I've said it before, I've seen people who treat their shiksa like gold and I've seen people who treat their cleaning lady like garbage.

The way you refer to a person reflects very much on how you think of them. If a person calls someone "their shiksa or [gentile woman]" that does not reflect very much respect. If they don't have respect for them, imagine how they treat them? Especially when in a position of power. Calling someone by a respectful title is only the first step.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 1:38 pm
wtvr wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking about a baking something, but somehow, it seems to me that it may come across like I'm trivializing her loss. It also felt funny for me to bake something for her, and have her clean up my mess...lol!

I'm thinking of giving her a small bonus, and tell her to use it for herself, especially since she won't be working for me the next 2 weeks, b/c of Y"T.

And leaht...I'm sorry I'm so naive to think that someone who's eyes are bloodshot, doesn't eat what I offered her, b/c she doesn't have an appetite, and shows me picture of a beautiful girl, is actually suffering a loss, especially since we're not even Pesach cleaning...

You sound like a very kind and thoughtful person.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 8:32 pm
StrawberrySmoothie wrote:
amother wrote:

The way you refer to a person reflects very much on how you think of them. If a person calls someone "their shiksa or [gentile woman]" that does not reflect very much respect. If they don't have respect for them, imagine how they treat them? Especially when in a position of power. Calling someone by a respectful title is only the first step.

You're 100% correct. But please understand that for some people those terms aren't being used with any malice or disrespect. It's just the language they have grown up with and it's as neutral as saying cleaning lady or housekeeper. I know this is not the case with everyone. But for some of us it really is.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 11:24 pm
I call my domestic help "[gentile woman]" and treat her with royalty. She always tells me how nice I am to her so whatever you call her totaly doesn't make a difference.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 1:03 am
amother wrote:
I call my domestic help "[gentile woman]" and treat her with royalty. She always tells me how nice I am to her so whatever you call her totaly doesn't make a difference.

So, if your daughter's teacher regularly refers to her as a Skank Ho, but is a good and fair teacher, that's fine by you.

Your son's teacher calls him Moron, but treats him fairly, you're ok with that.

Your boss refers to you as That Kike Bee-Yothch, but pays you well and doesn't harass you, that's fine.

Your husband's boss calls him Jew Boy Krist Killer, that's also fine.

MrsMortgage

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 7:03 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

So, if your daughter's teacher regularly refers to her as a Skank Ho, but is a good and fair teacher, that's fine by you.

Your son's teacher calls him Moron, but treats him fairly, you're ok with that.

Your boss refers to you as That Kike Bee-Yothch, but pays you well and doesn't harass you, that's fine.

Your husband's boss calls him Jew Boy Krist Killer, that's also fine.
Is it very wrong that thy cracked me up? U r great at this Barbera
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette