Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What's the difference between Mishpacha & Binah mags?

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 7:37 pm
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in subscribing - and I'm still not sure what the difference is between the 2 magazines. Can someone explain the differences? Is one more yeshivish? is one geared towards different things, people, types of articles?

thanks so much !

zigi

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 7:45 pm
binah is a womens magazine, mishpacha is a family magazine. they have 3 sections, main family first (for women) and a kids section. binah only has the women and kids

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 7:52 pm
The crucial difference is Mishpacha is geared to men and women and Binah is geared to women only.
Binah comes out Mondays and Mishpacha Wednesdays. Mishpacha is a bit more liberal than Binah is. Binah is cheaper than Mishpacha (but that better be true since you're getting 2 not 3 magazines )

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 7:54 pm
thank you for the responses !!!!!!

im just a litlte confused...
which one do you get 2 magazines? and which 3?

my friend who knew I was interested sent me the pesach packets of each magazine - which came with 5 each!!!! There was a kids booklet, a teen one... a booklet of stories ... .I know most of those were special supplements for Pesach, so on a normal basis how many is it?

momsprince

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 7:56 pm
Mishpacha has news and current events (which usually don't interest me) while binah doesn't.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 8:14 pm
MrsDuby wrote:
thank you for the responses !!!!!!

im just a litlte confused...
which one do you get 2 magazines? and which 3?

my friend who knew I was interested sent me the pesach packets of each magazine - which came with 5 each!!!! There was a kids booklet, a teen one... a booklet of stories ... .I know most of those were special supplements for Pesach, so on a normal basis how many is it?
Mishpacha: 3 (general, women, children)
Binah: 2 (women, children)

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 8:15 pm
With Mishpacha you get:

main- news, some interviews and some new columns with stories and quickie fun stuff it's a family mag but mainly targets men

Family First- women's magazine

Junior- kids

With Binah-

Main- Women's magazine no news

Binah Bunch- kids

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 8:16 pm
thank you so much for teh clarification !!!!
ok so now I just need to decide which one to get Smile

I think I'll ask my hubby ... over pesach he was really enjoying reading some of the articles in the Mishpacha - so I'll see maybe he would enjoy reading that on a weekly basis.... hmmm...

thank you again everyone ....

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 8:35 pm
Hatzlocha!

daisy

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 8:37 pm
For a women's mag, I prefer Binah over Mishpacha. However, we get the Mishpacha because my husband and kids like it and it does have something for everyone. I occasionally get Binah from a relative, so I get to enjoy it then. For Pesach I treated myself to the Binah package.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 9:19 pm
I would highly recommend you buy both of these for a weeks before subscribing. People have personal preferences and just knowing who it's geared to won't help you much if you don't like the content or writing style of either.

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Apr 21 2011, 9:24 pm
I would totally do that .. but im out of town, and cant get them here (unless someone mails them to me)

I'll check out both of them again over shabbos and second days... and then I'll see...

summerbutterfly

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 6:54 am
mishpacha is something your DH and other males may read as well, whereas my hub wouldn't go near the Bina

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 8:55 am
I just wanted to point that you should not make a decision based on YT issues. Personally I find the YT issues do not resemble the regular weekly stuff

mommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 9:52 am
I personally get only Binah becasue I'm the one who reads the magazines and I like the articles geared towards women I don't really enjoy reading the news articles in the Mishpacha. But if your looking to share something with your husband or you also enjoy news... you should get the mishpacha becasue I don't think most husbands would enjpy reading the Binah.
I know someone said that the Pesach editions are different and I can't speak about the mishpacha because I didn't read it but the main Binah magazine seemed pretty standard to me obviously a normal week wouldn't come wit the extra sections.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 22 2011, 11:26 am
Binah is more low keyed and light reading for women. Mishapacha is more intelectual and they write articles from all over the world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room