Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why are you posting about how great hachnasas orchim is...
Previous  1  2  3

Raisin

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 7:14 am
I totally agree 6yeladim. reading some of the threads on being a good hostess sometimes I think then obviously I should never have guests becasue I do not have the time/money/resources to be the perfect hostess. if a guest bringing linens/offering to help makes the difference between me agreeing to host someone or not then go ahead.

honestly it is very rare that guests do not offer to help.

Merrymom

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 2:33 pm
amme wrote:
I always help out when I am a guest but sometimes I wonder how come the husbands just sit on their buts during the meal. when we have guests I always have my husband help me so the guests can sit and relax.

I'd rather my dh sit and entertain the guests, my children help me serve.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 2:41 pm
Some people don't want to be guests on those terms.

tikva18

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
I'm irked by a post on the recent hachnasas orchim thread.

Please think carefully about whether you should be posting about how great hachnasas orchim is, when you yourself almost never host. When someone hosts you, do you sit and let your hostess clear the table, while you chat with the husbands? Do you go to other families multiple times but never issue a reciprocal invite? Do you actively hint for invites on Facebook? Then please, think twice before posting about what an amazing thing hachnasas orchim is!

I don't want to get too specific here. I'm just saying that there's a disconnect between your ideals and your reality, and maybe you shouldn't be posting telling other people what their attitude should be.

I posted on that thread about hosting and having guests. I love doing it. We rarely have guests now - that's due to a number of different things - one of which is my dh is rarely home for Shabbos meals ( he works on shabbos just as he does during the week as a mashgiach) and I don't think it's right for us to have guests if he's not around. Smile
However, for years our front door was always open and we always had guests - from just for a meal to people dropping in at the last minute who needed a place to stay. Most memorable was a man who was travelling in an old vw van that was painted psychadelic colors - he came with his own sefer torah. He thought he would have gotten further in his travels and ended up stranded in our city approx 45 min before licht bentchen.
The first shabbos that we were in that house we hosted some 10+ girls who needed a piece of floor to sleep on so they could attend a shabbaton.
I'm certainly not telling anyone else what their attitude should be, but rather what mine is: I love havingn guests and I don't expect anything from them other than how many they are and what their food issues are so I can properly prepare.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette