Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Carry ons, at what age would you let them have their own?
1  2  Next

Liba

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:27 am
My girls (13, 10 and almost 7) want their own carry ons on the plane, in addition to their backpacks for snacks and games. According to the carriers rules they are allowed to bring them, but will it be a help (extra space really could be) or a headache?

They are good kids, but they will be tired and off schedule and I am a little worried. On the way home we are getting in at 5am Israeli time, 10pm EST, when bedtime is generally 8pm. the connections both ways are during the day. We could probably check one on the way there and use it as a carry on on the way home since we don't have much luggage going.

We haven't flown since we made aliya almost 6 years ago, and that flight was really hard with three kids in carseats, two strollers, and all of our stuff. This time we are only flying with one car seat and stroller, but we have medical equipment and I am not up for all of the shlepping.

pecan

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:34 am
It will be a headache. The less you actually have to carry, the better.
But for kids your age, I would give each one backpack OR carry on with everything inside of it - games, activities, snacks, and food. That way they are each responsible for their own things and you don't need to be bothered with constantly handing out food and games.

ray family

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:43 am
based on their ages I would say it's ok for them to bring their own carry ons. if you're concerned about there being so much stuff what I do when I fly is bring a carry on and put another bag in there then I take out the stuff that I want acessible and e/t else goes in the overhead compartment.

shoshina

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:43 am
Your 13 year old should be able to manage a carryon. Put her own clothes in it, and also things to entertain her on the plane. I think for the younger two you're really asking for more headache than help...

zaq

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:59 am
IIRC our kids had their own as soon as they were responsible for dressing themselves and physically big enough to handle a suitcase of that size, which was probably about 6 or 7 years old. But this was in the pre-9/11 era when you could carry almost anything aboard and having all carryon-size bags meant no waiting at baggage claim and no risking being stranded without your baggage.
If you have many other things to haul and you'd have to check bags anyway, then it makes sense to have fewer bags that are larger, esp. assuming your suitcases are on wheels.

Liba

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 12:08 pm
We only get one suitcase per person for free, so coming back it would be really nice to have the extra space. We have medical equipment and supplies that we can only get in America or can get for a small fraction of the space...

Chavelamomela

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 12:11 pm
If you need the space, definitely let them take a carryon bag.

If the hassle is not worth it, they're old enough to have one bag each to be responsible for (a backpack or wheelie bag). As long as they take responsibility for carrying it in the airport, plus any coats or anything like that they will have, their presence should be helpful, not harmful.

Good luck!

Liba

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 12:14 pm
If it doesn't work, Dh ends up responsible for three wheeling bags until we can get a luggage cart or one of the older kids takes two. Smile They would be so proud and feel so grown up to have their own carry on bags. That might make up for any extra stress it causes.

drumjj

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 2:34 pm
my kids last time we went who were five and seven had their own wheely suitcases, they thought it was part of their adventure and they were pretty good with taking them all the time.

drumjj

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 2:34 pm
only thing is since kids are liable to forget things its a lot of bags for you to remember all the time

torahtots

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 3:17 pm
My best friend has 5 kids under 8. She lets each of them (except the baby and I'm not sure about the 3-yr-old) wear a fanny-pack with whatever they want in it. Granted it's not a lot of space, but they can each pack a card game, some paper and crayons, a few things that they want to have on them. And you don't have to worry about them losing it if you make them promise to keep it on the whole time. I think it's a good compromise. AND it doesn't count as a carryon so if you need extra space on the way back you will still be able to bring as many bags as you need.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 3:54 pm
I'm curious, if they each have their own backpacks, what would they be carrying in the carry on? I like carrying the bare minimum.

Liba

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 4:35 pm
Yo'ma I am not 100% sure, but I was thinking, changes of clothing, the stuff we are bringing for people that we don't want getting lost, food for the day that we are on layover (we have a 15 hour layover). Anything in there we would not be accessing during the flights, that stuff would be in their backpacks.

On the way there I doubt we really need more than one child to have a carry on. It would be nice for them to each have one though, so when we are traveling from place to place within the US they each have a place to keep their clothing and aren't living out of a mess of a communal suitcase. On the way back I will happily use any and all luggage space for formula, medical supplies, my son's youth size overnight diapers and doublers, etc. I plan on paying for a second suitcase for each of us for the flight home.

Peanut2

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:42 pm
I definitely had my own carry-on at age 10.
Count the number of bags overall whenever you "move anywhere". My mother spent my entire childhood counting bags whenever we would leave the house. If you need the extra space of course you need to do it! Just expect that you and DH will be mostly responsible for the 7 yo's bag, and still quite in charge of the bag for the 10 yo. Try to make sure that the things they need are in their backpacks, and just put the carryons in the overhead when you're on the plane. And don't carry any extra bags if you can help it (shopping bags, candy bags, hat boxes, whatever.)

Marion

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 7:51 pm
My not-yet 2 year old had his "own" carry-on/backpack when I took DS#1 and DS#2 to my parents' (on my own) just after DS#2 was born. It held his games and snacks. His diapers, pyjamas, and change of clothes went in my carry-on with my breast pump and my change of clothes (just because it was a really small bag...he was a pretty small kid!). And the diaper bag held everything else. Your big girls should be able to get everything they need into their school backpacks.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 9:22 pm
I didn't read all the responses, but why would they need one in addition to their backpacks? Let them each have a bigger wheelie backpack that they will be entirely responsible for. There are some that have loads of smaller pockets, so that they can divide their food, clothing etc... in separate pockets.

Personally, I found giving my son a carry on wheelie backpack the BEST thing as he couldn't run ahead so freely. I did it when he was 3 and then again, at 5.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 10:52 pm
Liba, are you sure they can each have a carryon and a backpack? I've heard stories of being told to combine them. I think they are even getting stricter about those huge purses (my mom takes one every time). I would be really clear that they can have a wheely bag and a backpack before counting on that space, especially if they are only allowing you 1 suitcase per person (sounds crazy!)

SavtaHelen

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 10:57 pm
The ones on wheels are much easier; let the girls know that you expect them to shlep. Ray family's suggestion of a backpack inside is a good idea; at least on the way there. I also always bring a few garbage bags. It is easier to collect all the trash from the meal trays and get them out of the girls way but some airlines don't love that idea....

Have fun

drumjj

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:11 pm
which airline r u flying?

drumjj

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:14 pm
by the way just make sure all medications you are taking on the actual plane with you have their own label with the persons name on them otherwise in the uk they might make u drink them. they are so annoying. just open it and pretend to drink it. thats what we usually do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics