Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Carry ons, at what age would you let them have their own?
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 6:54 am
life'sgreat wrote:
I didn't read all the responses, but why would they need one in addition to their backpacks? Let them each have a bigger wheelie backpack that they will be entirely responsible for. There are some that have loads of smaller pockets, so that they can divide their food, clothing etc... in separate pockets.

I asked the same thing.
Liba wrote:
Yo'ma I am not 100% sure, but I was thinking, changes of clothing, the stuff we are bringing for people that we don't want getting lost, food for the day that we are on layover (we have a 15 hour layover). Anything in there we would not be accessing during the flights, that stuff would be in their backpacks.

On the way there I doubt we really need more than one child to have a carry on. It would be nice for them to each have one though, so when we are traveling from place to place within the US they each have a place to keep their clothing and aren't living out of a mess of a communal suitcase. On the way back I will happily use any and all luggage space for formula, medical supplies, my son's youth size overnight diapers and doublers, etc. I plan on paying for a second suitcase for each of us for the flight home.

Liba

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 7:55 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Liba, are you sure they can each have a carryon and a backpack? I've heard stories of being told to combine them. I think they are even getting stricter about those huge purses (my mom takes one every time). I would be really clear that they can have a wheely bag and a backpack before counting on that space, especially if they are only allowing you 1 suitcase per person (sounds crazy!)

I checked Smile

https://www.britishairways.com.....en_il

"Your main piece of hand baggage is up to the dimensions 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
Your bag must fit into the bag gauge, available at the check-in area.

Your laptop or handbag is up to the dimensions 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in), including the handle and pockets.
Your laptop or handbag must fit under the seat in front of you."

Their backpacks are well within the laptop or handbag dimensions.

Liba

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 7:59 am
drumjj wrote:
which airline r u flying?

British.

The meds aren't all labeled, and the ones that are are labeled in Hebrew. Will that help security in London?!

life'sgreat

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:02 am
Liba wrote:
Yo'ma I am not 100% sure, but I was thinking, changes of clothing, the stuff we are bringing for people that we don't want getting lost, food for the day that we are on layover (we have a 15 hour layover). Anything in there we would not be accessing during the flights, that stuff would be in their backpacks.

On the way there I doubt we really need more than one child to have a carry on. It would be nice for them to each have one though, so when we are traveling from place to place within the US they each have a place to keep their clothing and aren't living out of a mess of a communal suitcase. On the way back I will happily use any and all luggage space for formula, medical supplies, my son's youth size overnight diapers and doublers, etc. I plan on paying for a second suitcase for each of us for the flight home.

For such a long layover, I'd definitely bring a larger wheelie backpack for each kid. If need be, have one of your own carry ons full of food and let them have their own with their stuff.

This one, or this one, or this one, or even this one, which seems to have the most room. I'd usually put a change of clothes on the bottom of the largest pocket, and other stuff on top of that. The front pockets would be for diary, iPod, toiletries etc... Food can fit in the medium sized pocket.

drumjj

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 1:04 pm
if you can and have time maybe u could get a letter from your dr about the medication. I just know from experience with my daughter everytime I try to take medicine or liquids they make such a fuss. even for a little child

drumjj

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 1:05 pm
the people in the security in england are a lot of the times so thick, all they do is follow protocol and have no brains of their own. and so if its not protocol they cause problems.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 3:45 pm
Belated, but I think you'll be better off letting them carry EITHER a wheeler OR a backpack each. It's much easier to keep track of things if you have fewer items, also they need to be able to find storage space onboard--tend to be struggle and flight attendants can ask you to check them in or store them all the way back.

I'm a BA frequent flier, carry-on plus a purse rule is really not meant as a carry-on plus a backpack. A backpack to fit the second luggage size 45x20x35 won't have much capacity. (OK, you did say the bags fit the dimention--is it after packed?) Personally, for the youngest one for sure, I'd rather have her carry a backpack, definitely easier for walking a loooooong concourse at both Ben Gurion and Heathrow.

Liba

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:11 pm
Mrs Bissli, the backpacks are their school bags which we measured full. Fuller than they would be taking them on the plane even.

If we only have the suitcases they will be stowed in the overhead compartments and if they need anything we will have to take the bags down and put them up and down and up all flight. The point of the backpacks and the handbag dimensions is that they will fit under the seat in front of them. For my sanity that sounds like a huge plus.

I have a bit to think about and figure this out.

They all really want their carry on suitcases as well as their backpacks, and I think that backpacks will make my life a lot easier.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:21 pm
I would give them each the biggest size bag they can take, but put everything for the flight in one case, maybe in seperate ziplock bags if they want their stuff seperated. once you get on the plane take what you need out the case and stow it away.

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:36 pm
Liba, I think one large carryon per child would be a help, but two would be a burden. You have to keep counting how many are with you. They may allow two in theory but make you combine them in practice on the spot.

Enjoy!

drumjj

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 6:02 pm
raisin ur idea is a good one, or what you can do is put a bag inside the suitcase like a bagpack and just take that out once u get on the plane, ive found with my many journeys with the kids, there is never enough space over head so ur always looking for things and also the less bags the better, its so hard to keep track especially with a pushchair when u collapse it and all the bags to carry on top of dealing with that and the child in it. there are never enough hands

Liba

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 8:54 pm
I am considering challenging each of the girls to walk to the mailbox and back (10-15 minutes each way, and two flights of stairs) with a full carry on bag and their backpack to show that they can handle it.

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 5:42 am
Update: all of the girls B"H did great with their own rolling carry on pieces as well as backpacks. B"H it worked out really well. My oldest took two rolling pieces, I was pushing the stroller while pushing one of the ones with four wheels and DH had one rolling piece and the portable oxygen concentrater which is essentially a seventh rolling piece.

Their backpacks were full of their personal things (stuffed animal, camera, etc) and entertainment for the plane. We had one rolling suitcase full of books (too heavy for the regular checked suitcases), one with a change of clothing for everyone, one with food, one medical supplies, one with games and one full of essential odds and ends. Smile

B"H it worked out well. I was happy to have the space and they were happy to have the responsibility.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics