Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
WHAT TO DO WITH CHILDREN ON YOM KIPPUR?
1  2  Next

IBR

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 10:04 pm
I have a 3.5 year old child any ideas of toys, food and whatever to keep busy. Any advice please. I will take it.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 1:20 pm
I was just going to start a thread except
what to do with a 16 month old!!!!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 1:47 pm
Ill have my 15 month, extra wild 3 year old and older daughter with me and we dont carry so I cannot even walk them around.

su7kids

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 1:54 pm
See if you can find a non Jewish babysitter who will be there for them, even if you're home. She can do the running and carrying and feeding, but you'll ultimately be supervising.

IBR

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:00 pm
someone gave me an idea to make sandwiches and take lots of juice boxes and just deliver it all to the place where I will daven. there is one pritty close. I might go there until she gets tired and come home. I m just thinking what to have on the blech if anything at all?I wish it was over already

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:02 pm
I don't want a non-jewish woman looking after my child on yom kippur or not on yom kippur.

I will much prefer to be at home looking after her, struggeling.

But what activities can we do that will be helpful to distract her.
She only naps for 2 -3 hours and bedtime is at 7.30pm.

momofgirls

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:05 pm
I empty all the toys & lay on the floor that usually keeps them busy & they love that I'm on the floor with them, I am always giving them with something when they start whining like nosh.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:08 pm
cool idea!!!!!!!!

aussiegal

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:09 pm
my sister makes her kids a crockpot dinner for yom kippur - chicken, rice or potatoes with spices. That way it's something hot and filling, but she doesn't ahve to worry about warming up the food or anything.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:09 pm
I am moving house this week... do you think that I can do anything to organise the house on yom kippur. I fast better when I am kept busy

e.g. things like putting books on the shelf, organising clothes

momofgirls

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:12 pm
Not really, would you do it on shabbos?

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:14 pm
A friend of mine usually buys a new toy ie.geo trax, imaginex that keeps them busy. That way they are occupied with it. Or buy a few new books for them.

My floor is always filled with toys all over so that suggestion wont help me. And I don't think I can afford to buy that type of toy.

I will prob. do box drinks and junk food, to keep them happy at home- sandwhiches yougur t and cereal for breakfast lunch and prob. frozen pizza or hot dogs for supper. easy stuff.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:19 pm
buy a new toy/puzzle/book

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:41 pm
momofgirls wrote:
Not really, would you do it on shabbos?

thank you for putting my mind in the right perspective, I was totally on the wrong derek embarrassed

momofgirls

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:44 pm
No prob. Just think of it as shabbos

amother

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:46 pm
[quote="queenyemk"]I don't want a non-jewish woman looking after my child on yom kippur or not on yom kippur.

you dont want a non jewish to watch your kids on yom kippour but you would organize your house??????????

I'm a little confused.

queenyemk

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 3:00 pm
[quote="amother"]
queenyemk wrote:
I don't want a non-jewish woman looking after my child on yom kippur or not on yom kippur.

you dont want a non jewish to watch your kids on yom kippour but you would organize your house??????????

I'm a little confused.

don't worry I got confused to Banging head
just after the fast yesterday, I only delt by keeping busy, and last year, we just slept all day.
I just forgot a few of the details about yom kippur, my mind needs refiling Cheese
I think I've straightened out, I just remember learning in halacha that you can do wahtever you want with books, there not muktza, so I thought maybe I might be able to unpack, but better safe than sorry

IBR

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 4:39 pm
sonnibonni are these toys that you mentioned like lego I need something to keep her busy. I was thinking of buying a farm but I m not sure it will keep her busy enough maybe I should get books.

Tefila

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 4:52 pm
The ideal thing would be to rent them out for the day. But since practically that won't happen, since it will eigther end up being a day atleast, or way less, it won't help me. Scratching Head So I will have an interesting yom kippur may get to daven somewhat who knows maybe I will end learning something from them ( my kids I mean) Tongue Out

GiGichai

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 9:41 pm
what do you do with a nine month old to keep them entertained? I don't fast very well when I'm nursing, and get all nauseous and dizzy...
Any and all help is appreciated. Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur