Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is anyone here a dental assistant?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 11:06 pm
Is it worth going to school for? What can you tell me about the job? How much $ do they make in the NY/NJ area (or elsewhere)?

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 11:20 pm
Or if you or your dh is a dentist and knows how much you would pay a certified dentist, please let me know

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 11:31 pm
*certified dental assistant (sorry its late)

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 7:34 am
I'm a cda in Bergen county and I make $24/hour. I also get free dental for myself and my family as a perk.

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 9:59 am
I don't know if it is the same in every state, but I am fairly certain that in some places you can get on-the-job training. The 6-month training is helpful (looks better on a resume and the office doesn't spend as much time training you in) but optional. So maybe you can try it and see if you like it before persuing the certificate.

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a cda in Bergen county and I make $24/hour. I also get free dental for myself and my family as a perk.

Seriously? How many years experience do you have to make that much? And how much did you make right away? Is that typical of CDA's to make that much per hour? I did some research online and it seems that some places will only start off under $15 per hour which makes it totally not worth it for me but other websites have said that people can make in the 20's per hour....so I'm confused... I kinda have a few questions for you, can I give you a private email or you'd rather post in the board?

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know if it is the same in every state, but I am fairly certain that in some places you can get on-the-job training. The 6-month training is helpful (looks better on a resume and the office doesn't spend as much time training you in) but optional. So maybe you can try it and see if you like it before persuing the certificate.

I know a lot of offices will train on the job but the overwhelming majority of job listings that I see for dental assistants say that they want someone with experience and/or x-ray certified. So I'm starting to think maybe it makes sense to get certified but I can't seem to get a clear idea. Also will they pay more if you are certified vs. not certified? If anyone can shed some more light here thanx...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 4:41 pm
you can pm me if you want. dd is a dental assistnt and is working for a few years now

supermommy07

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 5:08 pm
A "dental assistant" that is trained in with out a degree, is NOT ALOWED to take Xrays or do anything inside the mouth. All you can do is sterilize instruments and hand istruments to the dentist. Without the certification you will get paid prob about $12-$14 an hour or maybe less. I am not in the US so this is kinda a guess. I am not a CDA I am a RDH. But as far as I know where I live a CDA level I gets around $18-23 an hour where as a CDA level II will get more like $23-$28 an hr depending an exprience. (An RDH gets btw $36-$48 an hour depending on the type of practise and experience..)
These are educated guesses as far as salary but I do think that working in the field without the degree and certification is not worth your while. Also schooling for DA is very short so why not?

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 5:11 pm
amother from Bergen County here

I got my start in assisting in Brooklyn in 2002--I was trained on the job by a dentist in Williamsburg. I started at $10/hr. I left in 2004 due to a hard pregnancy. By the time I left I was up to $15/hr. A year later after a divorce and a move back to my hometown, I knew I had to further my career to support my child and myself. I got into a (10 month) dental assisting program that guides you through all the steps to get DANB certified.

After I graduated I got my first full-time job starting at $20/hr, and have since gotten remarried and moved to North Jersey. I work part-time and make $24 an hour...I haven't gotten a raise in three years, so I think the time is coming to make a bit more. LOL

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 6:58 pm
amother wrote:
amother from Bergen County here

I got my start in assisting in Brooklyn in 2002--I was trained on the job by a dentist in Williamsburg. I started at $10/hr. I left in 2004 due to a hard pregnancy. By the time I left I was up to $15/hr. A year later after a divorce and a move back to my hometown, I knew I had to further my career to support my child and myself. I got into a (10 month) dental assisting program that guides you through all the steps to get DANB certified.

After I graduated I got my first full-time job starting at $20/hr, and have since gotten remarried and moved to North Jersey. I work part-time and make $24 an hour...I haven't gotten a raise in three years, so I think the time is coming to make a bit more. LOL

wow, im starting to think this is worth my while. if I can go to school for about 6 months and start making $20 an hour, I think this could really work out for me (if that's what you are saying). ok, now what is the schooling like? is it crazy hard? doable? im sure id have to work and study but is it insanely hard or just a little bit of a challenge? thanx for all ur info peeps!

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 6:59 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
A "dental assistant" that is trained in with out a degree, is NOT ALOWED to take Xrays or do anything inside the mouth. All you can do is sterilize instruments and hand istruments to the dentist. Without the certification you will get paid prob about $12-$14 an hour or maybe less. I am not in the US so this is kinda a guess. I am not a CDA I am a RDH. But as far as I know where I live a CDA level I gets around $18-23 an hour where as a CDA level II will get more like $23-$28 an hr depending an exprience. (An RDH gets btw $36-$48 an hour depending on the type of practise and experience..)
These are educated guesses as far as salary but I do think that working in the field without the degree and certification is not worth your while. Also schooling for DA is very short so why not?

what is the diff between a CDA and an RDH?

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 7:14 pm
OP, I can't imagine the training is very difficult. DH is a dentist and has had several dental assistants interning for him, and he has been truly amazed by how unintelligent some of them are. And they made it through the program. I'm sure you can do it, no problem.

drumjj

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 2:40 am
I learnt to be a dental assitant when I was 14 its honestly not that difficult.

supermommy07

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 8:38 am
An RDH is a registered dental hygienist... the person who cleans your teeth, makes your preventative treatment plans, takes Xrays,takes impressions,sealants, teaches you oral self care, puts on braces and so on...

As far as I know Dental Assisting school is not too difficult and schooling is very short. Helps to be strong in the sciences, as oral anatomy and biology is most of the focus as well as infection control, sterilization.. you also have to recognize and be able to name dozens of instruments,take xrays and do impressions(molds of the mouth).

amother

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 8:48 am
To amother who trained in williamsburg: there's only 1 dentist u can think of you worked for, lol, as a matter of fact, given you were there2002, I have a very strong feeling you took me over!! Hard to believe you left due to pregnancy... Again, that's IF we worked for the same dentist Wink

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 1:09 pm
Dental assisting schools teach expanded function now. You don't just hand instrucments to the dr and answer the phone, you do polishing and x-rays and much more.

For those considering it, you should look on Craigs List for jobs. Some require you to know more than one language, etc. It's not just being trained in a dentist's office and then the world is your oyster, no.

amother

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 5:47 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Dental assisting schools teach expanded function now. You don't just hand instrucments to the dr and answer the phone, you do polishing and x-rays and much more.

For those considering it, you should look on Craigs List for jobs. Some require you to know more than one language, etc. It's not just being trained in a dentist's office and then the world is your oyster, no.

so ur saying this is where dental assistant school comes in right? they learn more then just handing instruments etc...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 13 2011, 6:45 pm
yes, tht's right.

amother

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 7:36 am
OP again- so I'm still so confused cuz I keep looking online for info on salaries of certified dental assistant salaries in NY and while it seems that some make at least $20 an hour (also like some of you mentioned you do), it says on other websites that the average pay is between $10-$15 per hour. I'm just confused and don't know which way to go cuz if I end up doing this, I already have a lot of school loans and I can't put myself deeper into debt if I'm only gonna make $15 an hour...sorry, just soo confused, don't know what to decide...thanx
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics