Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help I was told to take the bottle away and it backfired

Classicookie

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 10:05 pm
My 2 year old dd was on pedisure for the last year due to her weight issues. Besides for the med reasons for her not gaining well which we are working on. She is a very picky eater she recently has becoming more of an ok eater. (meaning she has foods she will agree to eat ) but was getting about 500 calories a day from the pedisure. So I didn't have to worry as much about the food she dint eat.
She went for her 2 year old checkup a few days ago and her Dr said I should get her off the bottle and have her drink the pedisure from a cup/sippy cup bec 1 its bad for her speech issues and 2 she is always congested had adenoids removed no allergies(just tested) and her sucking the bottle can be the issue
I know she is a very stubborn child and that is why I haven't pushed this issue before (her speech therapist wanted her off for a while) bec I felt she only drinks pediasure from a bottle nothing else (and the bottle nipple goes stright on the pediasure container) the Dr said even if she takes a bit less at first she will give in if she really wants it but she wont take it not at all not a bit and shes not eating more if she was then all be great but I am flipping out how do I make up all this nutrition shes desperately needs did I do the wrong thing and I have a feeling at this point she wont even take it back with a bottle bec shes like that
if I say would you like some pedisure she goes ehh spit

[size=18]

bnm

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 10:26 pm
my 2.5 year old still drinks bottles for that reason. she is on special high calorie formula (allergic to pediasure) and the only way she takes it is in bottles. she gets one in the morning and at night, sometimes she will ask for one when she wakes up from her nap. I don't let her just walk around with a bottle all day. everything else she drinks in a regular cup.

allrgymama

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 10:48 pm
@mom2zahava: DD just turned 2 and while she does have food allergies, we have no concerns about her weight.

So there's NO reason why she needed to have a bottle this afternoon, or that, in general, she still turns to a bottle for 'comfort' if she isn't feeling well or hysterical for some reason.

Personally, I have a 'cold turkey' approach to all of these things (which her having food allergies has actually helped. No matter how much she screams, I wouldn't give her a glass of regular milk. I use that same resolve to say 'no' when she wants a bottle).

On the other hand, DH can't stand to listen to her crying and doesn't understand 'what the big deal is' if she still has a bottle at 2. He argues that my four year old niece still has one (and I argue right back that that's why we have to stop NOW or DD will also still be using a bottle when she's 4).

I think that you really have to be firm about it. Definitely discuss this with your doctor, but even if she's short on her calories/nutrition for a week, eventually she'll get hungry and realize that this is the only way that she's going to get the Pediasure.

Alternatively, if you switch them off (sometimes in a bottle, sometimes in a sippy) she might be less adverse to making the switch, though it will take more time.

bnm

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 10:56 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@mom2zahava: DD just turned 2 and while she does have food allergies, we have no concerns about her weight.

So there's NO reason why she needed to have a bottle this afternoon, or that, in general, she still turns to a bottle for 'comfort' if she isn't feeling well or hysterical for some reason.

Personally, I have a 'cold turkey' approach to all of these things (which her having food allergies has actually helped. No matter how much she screams, I wouldn't give her a glass of regular milk. I use that same resolve to say 'no' when she wants a bottle).

On the other hand, DH can't stand to listen to her crying and doesn't understand 'what the big deal is' if she still has a bottle at 2. He argues that my four year old niece still has one (and I argue right back that that's why we have to stop NOW or DD will also still be using a bottle when she's 4).

I think that you really have to be firm about it. Definitely discuss this with your doctor, but even if she's short on her calories/nutrition for a week, eventually she'll get hungry and realize that this is the only way that she's going to get the Pediasure.

Alternatively, if you switch them off (sometimes in a bottle, sometimes in a sippy) she might be less adverse to making the switch, though it will take more time.

my kid is too stubborn for that, and if she is eating/drinking we aren't going to disturb the statues quo. the formula she is on right now got her from below the 0 percentile to the 25th, I asked her gastro if she still needs it and was told yes, she was deprived of nutrients for her first year, we need to make it up. she won't drink it if its not in a bottle, and I need to have an easy way to measure how much she drank. bottles come marked with ounces....

amother

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 11:17 pm
you did not do the wrong thing, a 2.5 year old should not be on a bottle. It is HORRIBLE for speech development and it will just make it harder to get her off later. By 2.5 most kids should be off sippy cups (also not great for speech development) and using straw cups and starting to learn how to use dixie cups.

If your daughter is such a picky eater and you are as concerned as you are, consider looking into food therapy. Some kids cant stand different textures and often require food therapy and/or OT to work through it. Obviosuly I do not know your child but I am in early intervention and so I am just trying to share what I have seen in the past and the different options you can look into. Good Luck!

Classicookie

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 11:53 pm
thanks for all the good words I guess in a way I need to hear I did not do the wrong thing I feal just so bad to upset her
she mostly drinks from a reg cup just not pedisure

If your daughter is such a picky eater and you are as concerned as you are, consider looking into food therapy. Some kids cant stand different textures and often require food therapy and/or OT to work through it. Obviosuly I do not know your child but I am in early intervention and so I am just trying to share what I have seen in the past and the different options you can look into. Good Luck!
I live in nj and they only have food therapy in hospitals and I cant do that since I don't drive and she was not approved for ot bec most of her sensory issues are oral and they wont give for that

bnm

Post Sat, May 14 2011, 11:57 pm
mom2zahava wrote:
thanks for all the good words I guess in a way I need to hear I did not do the wrong thing I feal just so bad to upset her
she mostly drinks from a reg cup just not pedisure

I live in nj and they only have food therapy in hospitals and I cant do that since I don't drive and she was not approved for ot bec most of her sensory issues are oral and they wont give for that

how far away do you live from St. Josephs/Rusk? I heard they have the best feeding therapy program, I almost went there and I live in NY. my daughter also wasn't approved for any services through EI but insurance will pay for it if your dr says she needs. I had a hard time finding a feeding therapist that takes my insurance, only 1 wasn't in a hospital, we take a car service there and back since there isn't any public transportation in that neighborhood. I saw such progress, its worth every penny and time it takes.

amother

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 12:53 am
If it's not the pedialyte she objects to, only the new container it comes in, maybe you can try introducing a new, fun container. Perhaps she might enjoy drinking from a silly straw or a special cup that she picks out herself.

drumjj

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 2:10 am
my daughter who is 2 and 3 months is still using a bottle with nutramagin, ive never had a kid this age still on a bottle (she only has 2 one in morning and one at night) but I cant measure it in a cup so she has a bottle

elmos

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:58 am
my daughter is 3.5 and the only way she takes pediasure is with the nipple even tho we went and got a special cup etc.... good luck getting the bottle gone we still haven't been able to but rember they don't starve themselves after a few days she will eat

allrgymama

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:06 am
@mom2zahava: well, that's why I suggested that you discuss it with your doctor first.

And, as far as measuring goes, you can measure it out in a bottle or a measuring cup and then put it into a regular cup. And if you want to know how much she drank (assuming there's something left over) you can pour it back into the bottle or measuring cup to see how much is missing.

shnitzel

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:19 am
Would she take a candy multivitamin so you make sure she gets all her nutrients and try to make a calorie packed smoothie or milkshake type drink so that she gets the calories in. Do you think that you could come up with a concoction in a special glass that she would drink?

gold21

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 4:06 pm
my son is 2 and three quarters KA"H and drinks a bottle to sleep. I have absolutely no worries about it. his speech is bli ayin hora fantastic. im not a believer in rushing things. my big boy sucked a pacifier to sleep until he was almost 4, at which point my mommy-sixth-sense told me he was ready to move on, and he was weaned from it pretty easily. I plan to give my little one a bottle for at least another few months IYH while we straighten out his allergy/adenoid congestion issues which cause him to breathe partially thru his mouth, making him thirsty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics