Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dh shopping for me

amother

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:23 pm
Since I work full time, my dh does most of the shopping for me. Usually, I really appreciate what he does because it makes my life easier. Sometimes, though, he takes it apon himself to buy something that I don't want or would have wanted but preferred to choose myself ie towels, soap dishes, garbage cans... In addition, it makes me feel bad as it emphasizes the fact that I'm always working and don't have the leisure to choose and shop on my own. This would be fine if it happened once or twice, but he always beats me to the punch as he was in the store ... I tried talking to him about it but he gets offended.

seeker

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 11:09 pm
Two choices come to mind immediately:
1. Shop online (together if preferred)
2. Suck it up.

Have you tried explaining to DH that it's a "girl thing" to want to pick your own housewares? Sometimes there are things that DH doesn't get much but they are really girl things and if I tell him that, it becomes like "Oh, ok. I didn't realize that. Whatever..." Of course, then you run the risk of not being able to rely on him to take care of these things if you really don't have the time for it.

Happy 2B

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 11:30 pm
I don't have advice but I just wanted to say I totally get it!! I like to pick my own things out.. I am very particular... So I hear you sister!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 3:34 pm
Give him a list and ask him to call you if he needs to deviate from it.

zaq

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 7:57 pm
great idea cm! I knew cell phones were good for something. I do in fact see this all the time in my grocery, guys on the cell sounding slightly panicked going "They have six different kinds of rice, which one do you mean?"

SacN

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 8:10 pm
haha, Zaq, that sounds just like my husband. Just don't tell him...He thinks he KNOWS which rice to buy. Until he is standing in the store and realized just how many kinds there are. But next time, he KNOWS which tomato sauce to get...

I think you should go the "its a girly thing" route. He just doesn't get which things are helpful and which things are stepping on your toes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics