Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov of Queens.

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 6:01 pm
A friend of mine has an interview with Bais Yaakov in queens and is looking for more information about it.

Does anyone know what its like to teach in that school. (She's single or she would be on imamother asking herself lol)
Is the school supportive, is the curriculum modern or old-school?

I told her I would ask on imamother (I'm obsessed with this site but I'm posting anonymously because people would be able to figure out who the friend is)

Any information/help anyone could give would be very helpful.
TIA

runninglate

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 6:26 pm
is she applying to the hebrew or english department? The english dept is definitely very modern and up to date with all the new philosophies and technologies for example balanced literacy, smartboards, etc.

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 6:27 pm
English dept. sorry I should have mentioned that.

veteranmom

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 7:13 pm
It is an excellent school, especially for above average students. There is a set curriculum and most of the staff is excellent. Many of the Moros are creative in the way they teach. There is memorization as well as skill building. The graduates are well prepared for high school.

That being said, there is a new principal this year. I do not see any major changes yet.

Happy18

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 10:52 pm
bump

sarahd

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 3:03 am
I am very interested to hear answers to this question. I taught in BYQ and I found it to be a great place to teach, but that was 20-25 years ago. IMO, both assistant principals are very good and up to date.

tovasara

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:19 am
Just fyi - there are a number of very dynamic single teachers there - just in case she was worried about being the only single. I hope her interview went/goes well.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 5:57 pm
I went to BYQ for elementary school
many of the teachers are close minded, rigid, and unfriendly.
and I was not one of the girls who constantly was getting in trouble. I have nothing against the school. just didnt love it. its like a factory where everyone must mold
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics