Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Need Internet in basement- Im 2 flights up. What can I do?

Mevater

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 8:19 am
At the moment I dont have a phone in the basement. (I use a cordless or cellphone). I have Wireless Internet throughout the floor that I live on, with one floor in between the basement and the floor I live on, would it work in the basement reliably? DD says she got internet in the basement on her Ipod.

momof6

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 8:30 am
It depends on your router. Our modem is in the basement and I can access the internet throughout our house, even in the attic. Why not try it?

Kayza

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 9:03 am
Possibly. If not, you might be able to get a "repeater" that you could put on the first floor that would make the signal stringer. But try it without, first.

maliza

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 10:15 am
I had a lot of trouble setting up a wireless connection for the 2nd floor in my house.

It was suggested I buy a Linksys router after trying less expensive versions (Linksys and others)-- I wasn't able to get wireless connections one floor up from the router in every room. This time I paid $100. for one with greater capability; there is one for $150. which is even more powerful. They have a 90-day trial period, so you can try one and see if it provides you with the broadband connectivity you need.

I just installed it and still have to try it out with other computers, but so far I think its been successful.

Also, make sure there is the least amount of interference over the top of the router - ie. don't place it in a box with a cover, or under a shelf. It may help to place the router closer to the ceiling, as well.

b'hatslocha!

Happy 2B

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 1:33 pm
I have wireless on my ipad but it depends what you need to do there isn't much you can do on an ipod.
In any case even if you have wireless you still have a router and you can get a long ethernet cord and drop it down the wall by drilling a small hole and plugging it into a computer in the basement or you can have it go outside a window and into a basement window. If you and your hubby are not handy a handyman or computer guy can probably set it up for you for a minimal fee.

hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics