Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you work part time?

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:18 pm
I need to gather some info..

Do you work part time?
Did you work full time at the same place and cut your hours (I.e. after having a baby)?
Are you paid on the hour or a weekly salary?
Do you get paid holidays and vacation?

Please please be so kind and answer my questions... I really need to know this info asap.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:35 pm
I work 26 hours a week (6 1/2 hrs. x 4 days). I used to work 7 1/2 hrs. a day plus friday at the same job but cut my hours after I had a baby. For years I got paid only by the hour and no vacation or yom tov, but when I asked finally they gave it to me, so now I get paid yom tov including chol hamoed and a few vacation days a year (abt a week)

chatouli

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:38 pm
I work part time. I used to work full time but cut my days after having a baby. I get paid weekly and I get paid vacation. My office gives us x number of weeks vacation and I get that but pro-rated by 3/5 since I work 3 days a week.

Why the urgent need to know? Just curious.

bigsis144

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:40 pm
I work about 24 hours a week at one job -- from 9:30 to 2:30/3 on Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays and Fridays, and from 9:30 to 12:30 on Thursdays, due to a second job (I teach once a week for a 2 hour block).

Both jobs are paid by the hour, no paid vacations (though at the teaching job, I can miss two classes a year without a dock in pay, so I guess that counts as paid vacation).

ShirleyTemple

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:41 pm
Thanks for ur replies so far.. I'd like to hear more.

chatouli- boss & employee are having an argument about it and needs to be settled... thanks for ur input.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:46 pm
I work 30 hours a week and am paid by the hour. I never worked full time for this company.

I get holidays and some paid vacation, and have a pension plan. I think it's mandatory here (Israel).

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:03 pm
I teach four hours a week and tutor eight hours a week- twelve altogether. very part time Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:27 pm
I WORKED full time with a commute before ds was born and quit to have it. When he was a year old, I took a local afternoon job, and almost immediately went to full time.

After dd was born, I cut down to just mornings until she was 2, then went back to full time.

When she was 10, I went back to a full time job with a commute.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:41 pm
I did not return to my previous employer after I had a baby. Part-time jobs in that field (hospital-based allied health) are often available on a per-diem basis, no benefits. However, my particular position was full-time, and my boss did not want to cut my hours. Hourly pay is slightly higher than for a benefits-eligible job.

As a working mom (still in healthcare but no longer in a hospital), I have held several part time per-diem and consulting positions - I got paid for hours worked, no benefits. Depending on the setting, hourly pay can be considerably higher than for a salaried position, but the work may be sporadic.

More recently, I have had regular part-time employment with benefits. One employer provided all benefits at 24 hours/week (hourly, on the clock), but with doubled insurance premiums compared to full-time employees, defined as 32+ hrs/week (salaried). My current employer provides most benefits (including time off) except health insurance for hourly part-timers, and gives full-time benefits at 30 hours/week (salaried).

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:43 pm
I work 24 hours a week. 9-3 mon-thur.(Fridays I just check emails and msgs) I used to work 9-5 mon-fri.
After ds1 I cut down to 930-430.

After ds2 I did 10-4
And after dd3 I changed it to 9-3.

I get paid weekly(no extra $ for extra hours)
I get paid holiday and vacation.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 5:41 pm
ShirleyTemple wrote:

Do you work part time?
Did you work full time at the same place and cut your hours (I.e. after having a baby)?

Please please be so kind and answer my questions... I really need to know this info asap.

I work part time. Did the same job with similar hours before the baby - but I was in college at the time.
Paid by the hour.
No paid vacation.

Peanut2

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 7:51 pm
I just spoke to someone today who works part time and made the switch from completely hourly to a weekly/monthly rate.
Basically, she is working for a jewish place, and was getting penalized for all the days off for jewish holidays (as well as the national holidays they offered off.) So pesach time, for example, her paycheck would decrease a lot.
She's been working there for a year (maybe even less) and got them to change it so that she got a reliable paycheck. I think that's fair.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 8:10 pm
ShirleyTemple wrote:

Do you work part time?

1. I work part time.
2. Yes I worked full time at same place and cut my hours after having a baby.
3. I am paid on an hourly basis.
4. I get paid for Jewish holidays and 1 week vacation.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 11:22 pm
I went back to work after my youngest was in Kindergarten. I work part-time, 20 hrs/wk and no Fridays. I am very lucky to have a Federal salaried job with full benefits - I earn 1/2 the salary and 1/2 the sick leave and 1/2 the vacation days, but I am working 1/2 the hours so it is a great deal for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics