Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
What's your go-to easy shabbos cake?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

JewishMother18

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 6:25 am
culinaryk wrote:
I actually use oil instead of margarine and mix everything together in one bowl.

how much oil do you use?
do you use all oil and no marg?
have you ever tried using half oil and half apple puree?

buzz

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 8:07 am
est wrote:
buzz - can I have the recipe please?

my easiest is yesha's brownie recipe with oil - we love it and I have been asked for the recipe by several friends whom I sent it to - thanks yesha!

3.5 cup plain flour
3.5 cup sugar
1.5 cup cocoa
3tsp baking powder
3tsp bicarbonate soda
4tsp vanilla sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup oil
2 cups boiling water

Mix dry ingredients (by hand- with a spoon), add eggs, juice and oil and then mix ( with hand-mixer, bosh etc ..)and then add water last on slow.

Bake at 345 (175 if in Aus) for 50 mins to an hr

This is a big recipe, I happen to have a big 9"13 pan, its probably bigger than 9"13 but not terribly much so and its very deep, it fills it about 3/4 and rises high.

You can pour the mixture into 2 disposable 9"13 but the cake will then be a more dry typical choc cake.

It's best to use one pan, on the bigger side and don't over bake!!!

It's an amazing choc cake, never fail, one bowl, super easy, and absolutely moist and delicious!

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:05 pm
This uses margarine and oil (what's with all the margarine hate?) and is from a really old Chassidish cookbook that my mother has for the last 20-some-odd years.

Crumb Cake

Ingredients

• 4 cups flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 ½ sticks margarine
• 1 TBSP vanilla sugar or extract
• ½ cup oil

• 4 eggs
• 1 cup orange juice
• 1 pinch cinnamon
• 4 tsp baking powder mixed with 3 tsp flour

Directions

• Pre-heat oven to 350
• Cream first five ingredients. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for the crumb topping. Add remaining ingredients and pour into bundt pan, tube pan or a 9x13 aluminum tin. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

(I'm not sure why the first five ingredients are in that order. Everyone knows you cream sugar and margarine together first and then add everything else.... *shrug*)

shnitzel

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:14 pm
Butterscotch bars by cookielady
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....cotch

I make them with oil because they come out gooier that way and they are fantastic.

This cinnamon chocolate cake which is amazing
http://bakingbites.com/2006/10.....e-479
I have made it in a bundt but it tends to stick at times. I bake it like a cake not like squares.

Banana chocolate chip cake is great in a bundt pan.

PROUDPEACOCK

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:35 pm
buzz wrote:
est wrote:
buzz - can I have the recipe please?

my easiest is yesha's brownie recipe with oil - we love it and I have been asked for the recipe by several friends whom I sent it to - thanks yesha!

3.5 cup plain flour
3.5 cup sugar
1.5 cup cocoa
3tsp baking powder
3tsp bicarbonate soda
4tsp vanilla sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup oil
2 cups boiling water

Mix dry ingredients (by hand- with a spoon), add eggs, juice and oil and then mix ( with hand-mixer, bosh etc ..)and then add water last on slow.

Bake at 345 (175 if in Aus) for 50 mins to an hr

This is a big recipe, I happen to have a big 9"13 pan, its probably bigger than 9"13 but not terribly much so and its very deep, it fills it about 3/4 and rises high.

You can pour the mixture into 2 disposable 9"13 but the cake will then be a more dry typical choc cake.

It's best to use one pan, on the bigger side and don't over bake!!!

It's an amazing choc cake, never fail, one bowl, super easy, and absolutely moist and delicious!

can I bake it in a bundt?

shoshina

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:38 pm
Since summer started it's olive-oil lemon cake. Delicious and light.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:39 pm
allrgymama wrote:
This uses margarine and oil (what's with all the margarine hate?)

Are you asking seriously?
It's full of hydrogenated trans fats. Made with soy. And other processed garbage.
After not eating it for a while, you realize that it actually tastes gross...
Need I go on? Smile

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 2:05 pm
the hersheys cake that everyone posted about already, baked in a bundt pan, round pans, cupcakes, frosted, not frosted, glazed, plain, whatever. always great! I use soy cream and it makes it super moist and yummy. I've given out the recipe at least 5 times.

I finally found a good brownie recipe made with oil not margarine.

I used to make a banana cake but its not that quick.

Duncan Hines if I REALLY have no time.

I can't wait to try these other recipes posted!

Dev80

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 2:18 pm
Ok...not cake but if you know how to cut straight (which I don't totally know how to do...) then they look nice. And they're DELICIOUS and wholesome! You can probably experiment with adding in some whole wheat flour. And..I even made them once on a Wednesday and they still tasted fresh on a Sunday. Basically it's a winner Wink

Presenting......

Oatmeal Squares
1 ½ C. flour
1 C. oil
¾ – 1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
3 C. oatmeal
6 oz. chocolate chips
-Combine all ingredients and spread in an ungreased 9x13” pan.
-Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
-Cut up when hot.

culinaryk

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:04 pm
Jewish Mother I use 1 cup oil and no margarine ( you could probably use less). I have never tried it with apple puree but if you do please let me know how it comes out. It is really delicious!

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:10 pm
@ra_mom: honestly, how often do you eat home baked goods with margarine in them?

Cause I very, very, very rarely do. So if I'm making a dessert, that is meant to serve at least 16 people and the whole recipe only has a stick and a half of margarine in it, I'm letting the margarine stay. I mean, you are talking about drips worth of margarine in a slice. I really don't think that's going to kill me.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:13 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@ra_mom: honestly, how often do you eat home baked goods with margarine in them?

Cause I very, very, very rarely do. So if I'm making a dessert, that is meant to serve at least 16 people and the whole recipe only has a stick and a half of margarine in it, I'm letting the margarine stay. I mean, you are talking about drips worth of margarine in a slice. I really don't think that's going to kill me.

I use margerine when I think it makes a difference, like pie crusts or brownies, but sub oil in cakes.

when I make a cake recipe I triple it and bake some in a bundt pan, some in round pans, and some as cupcakes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:47 pm
allrgymama wrote:

My daughter is allergic, so I was forced to stop using it.
I have learned how to bake without it. I do not miss it. And I am actually grossed out from it. When I taste it in someone's dessert, I push my plate away.

friedmana1

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:12 pm
Liba wrote:
chocolate mint brownies. my kids often beg for them week after week and they are as simple as can be.

Recipe please!

friedmana1

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:13 pm
bubble gum wrote:
My go-to cake is the kahlua cake recipe in What's Cooking. Its super simple, takes just a few minutes to mix it all together, and presents nicely because it is baked in a bunt pan. Oh, and it is soooo moist and yummy! I also make the Ultimate Chocolate Cake (Hershey's recipe) in a bundt pan and drizzle with Kahlua glaze.

I would love some more easy cake recipes. I especially like cakes that I can bake in a bundt pan so it looks nice on the table, or sliced and served with sorbet on individual plates.

Any ideas?

Can you post the recipe for the kahlua cake?
Thanks!

mommy08

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:31 pm
dunkin heines....THE BEST!!!!!!!!

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 6:25 pm
@ra_mom: ah. I once went a few months without eating anything fried and the first time I put a french fry in my mouth I almost vomited.

So. This now makes sense.

shnitzel

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 6:31 pm
allrgymama wrote:

Some of us can easily polish off half a cake....
I limit margarine but when I do use it we only but Earth Balance brand which isn't hydrogenated.

bubble gum

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 9:58 pm
Kahlua Cake (from "what's Cooking?")

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding (I use a 3.5oz size pkg)
2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. oil
3/4 orange juice
1/4 c. vodka
1/4 c. kahlua

Preheat oven to 325. Beat eggs with sugar. Add oil and instant pudding. Add orange juice, vodka and kahlua. Gradually add flour and baking powder on low speed. Mix well. Pour batter intp a greased 9x13 or bundt pan. Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

By the way, this cake doesnt really have a kahlua or vodka flavor. I sometimes make a Kahlua glaze and drizzle it on top. (Just confectionary's sugar, hot water, and kahlua.)

Oh, and of course you can't use real Kalua cuz it dairy now (or not kosher? Cant remember which). I have an imitation kahlua that I use- called Coco de Java)

sbs

Post Wed, Nov 09 2011, 10:09 pm
I'm looking for a recipe for amaretto cake, you think I could just substitute kahlua for amaretto liquor

and what kind of vodka do you put in?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins