Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Bookkeeping with excel question - using bank downloads

ruth

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 10:36 pm
My excel ledger doesn't balance yet my bank account statements do....

I have a workbook with worksheets for each active account (eg checking, credit card,savings.) I download the activity from the banks website.

I am not adept with balancing my books. I know I will need to get Quickbooks eventually, but in the meantime what is the simplest & best way to:

1) display the transactions by catagory in the columnar fashion, yet still be able to balance the debits/credits? I want to have monthly totals but still maintain one worksheet per account.

2) utilize the downloaded reports?

cutiemom

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:01 am
1) What categories are you talking about in the first question? You can set up the 2 columns - 1 for debits and one for credits. Then at the bottom you can total all credits, total the debits and then make another cell that tells you the difference between the two. You can also add a cell where you enter the month ending balance and that way you can start with that ending balance for the next month.
You may want to reconsider keeping everything in one workbook and keep a workbook per account and each sheet will be for each month instead of each sheet being for each account.

2) What kind of reports are you downloading?

ruth

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 11:33 pm
cutiemom wrote:
...... You can also add a cell where you enter the month ending balance and that way you can start with that ending balance for the next month.

Are you suggesting that I just manually add the 2 figures and then put the sum in a cell?

Quote:
You may want to reconsider keeping everything in one workbook and keep a workbook per account and each sheet will be for each month instead of each sheet being for each account.

this is an interesting idea

Quote:
2) What kind of reports are you downloading?

just my bank account activity.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics