Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Mother-in-law wants to buy me a gift

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:55 pm
My mother-in-law is coming to visit in a few months and wants to know what gift she can buy for me (not something expensive) - I really don't know what to tell her. If I don't know how can I expect anyone else to - but I'm sure someone has ideas..... maybe a cookbook? I have many but there are always more out there. any other ideas?

mom2be1

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:42 pm
Is there a kitchen gadget you'd love to have? A george foreman, a new bundt pan... silly small things you wouldn't buy for yourself but would love to recieve as a gift?

Liba

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:52 pm
serving dish
book
picture frame
table cloth
cookie jar
pitcher

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:10 pm
Maybe when she visits, you 2 can choose something together.

Like a picture frame for the picture of you 2 having fun together, lol !

life'sgreat

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:17 pm
Do you have any idea what not expensive in her terms means? I think that would make a difference in deciding what you'd go for.

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:18 pm
Maybe you can find a specific cookbook you'd like.

Other people have made good suggestions. Have a look at your kitchen inventory and see if there is anything that would be nice to have. A new frying pan or cooking pot in a size you haven't got? A non-stick pan if all yours are not like that (I avoided getting non-stick pans because they can't be kashered if you make a mistake but my MIL bought me a couple and I use them all the time!) A new serving bowl? Something for Pesach that you're short of?

momsprince

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 7:57 pm
I don't know if you have kids yet but I would let my mil know if they need something, like "my kids hardly have enough long sleeved cotton tees if you find anything cute I would really appreciate" or "my little one is just crazy over doll strollers lately and we didn't get to buy one yet"

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 7:59 pm
It would help if you told us a bit more: How long are you married? half-empty house or cramped apt.? What is "not expensive"? How long is mil staying? Hw far is she traveling and how--driving her own car or shlepping in by Greyhound bus? Is your place pretty well set as far as furnishings and supplies or are you still using paper plates, plastic forks and dry-cleaner bags for tablecloths? Are you very choosy about things and like everything just so exactly according to your taste, or are you Ok with anything so long as it's clean and fits, either on you or in the cabinet? Are you the casual type or do you aspire to have your place featured in Architectural Digest?

And as long as I'm asking questions, why is everyone fixated on kitchenware and items that scream "GIFTWARE" ? The idea of something that exists to "be a gift" is insane. A gift should be something the giftee needs or wants, or something the giver really wants the giftee to have. Preferably both.

kitchen or bath linens
table linens
Bed linens
Kosher specialty foods, esp. if she can get them easier or cheaper than you can
Gift certificate for a store you like
Gift certificate for dinner out, or let her take you out to dinner
Stylish scarves if you wear them
A small household appliance or piece of electronics you'd like, like a handheld portable vacuum cleaner or digital picture frame
Recipes for the dishes she makes that your dh likes most
Photo albums
A small fire extinguisher, smoke alarm and/or CO alarm if you don't already have them
"breakfast-in-bed" serving tray with folding legs

I suggest you browse thru some mail-order or online catalogs, select a few different things in diff price ranges and send the info to your mil. If you do this, you can include small jewelry, clothes and accessories since you'd be selecting what suits you and she won't have to guess.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 8:56 pm
I wish someone would buy me 'The gatherings Cook book.

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 3:07 am
pashmina ?

Liba

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 5:00 am
zaq wrote:

And as long as I'm asking questions, why is everyone fixated on kitchenware and items that scream "GIFTWARE" ? The idea of something that exists to "be a gift" is insane. A gift should be something the giftee needs or wants, or something the giver really wants the giftee to have. Preferably both.

You have to admit that most of your items are pretty standard gift ware as well. Smile

When someone doesn't need something or know what to ask for it is generally easiest to ask for gift ware and not a tree for next to her front stoop or a new handle for her bedroom door.

Plus, gift ware is good because it generally isn't as much of a matter of taste. If she asks for a new robe and hates it she is in a bind. If she asks for a new pot and hates it, it is in a cabinet or regifted, but she is less likely to hate it (or have it not fit) to begin with so it is a safer idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics